xs 400 prob....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xs 400 prob....

I have a 81 xs 400 that I'm putting back on the road...( bring-en back to life). My prob is....I removed the sprocket cover from the trans. to clean behind and make sure the gear wasn't toast. I put everything back together just as I took it apart....cable.......put the cover back on now it won't shift.....what did I forget?
    At this time:
    1985 Goldwing Innr.
    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
    2007 vtx 1300
    81 sx 1100 s h
    81 sx 400 special

Originally posted by brcree View Post
    I have a 81 xs 400 that I'm putting back on the road...( bring-en back to life). My prob is....I removed the sprocket cover from the trans. to clean behind and make sure the gear wasn't toast. I put everything back together just as I took it apart....cable.......put the cover back on now it won't shift.....what did I forget?
    Hi,
    you mean it shifted OK before you took the cover off and now it's back on but the shifter shaft won't turn or that it turns but the gears don't shift or that it shifts but the clutch don't work?
    I suspect you forgot to put it back together properly.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The clutch adjuster is in that cover isn't it?
      Richard

Comment

clutch

Hey Fred......I put it back on the way it came off (cover). The only part I did anything with was the cable...and it just went into a clip that was connected to a round item that is spring loaded. When you pull in the clutch handle the cable pulls this item and it moves outward. This unit couples with a rod that's in the engine. I adjusted nothing in this process.
        At this time:
        1985 Goldwing Innr.
        1976 cb 750 cafe racer
        2007 vtx 1300
        81 sx 1100 s h
        81 sx 400 special

Comment

Hey Fred......I put it back on the way it came off (cover). The only part I did anything with was the cable...and it just went into a clip that was connected to a round item that is spring loaded. When you pull in the clutch handle the cable pulls this item and it moves outward. This unit couples with a rod that's in the engine. I adjusted nothing in this process.
          Hi brcree,
          so it shifts OK but the clutch will no longer disengage?
          Betcha the steel ball that sits between the actuator and the pushrod fell out and went pittypat across the floor and under a bench and you never noticed?
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hay man...no...it doesn't shift at all...the lever moves up and down but wont change gears............I know the ball bearings you speak of.....I'll check them but I don't remember one falling out. There is on on the other end of the shift shaft and one in the round item I spoke of. The shift rod pulls out of the block very easy.
            At this time:
            1985 Goldwing Innr.
            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
            2007 vtx 1300
            81 sx 1100 s h
            81 sx 400 special

Comment

Hay man...no...it doesn't shift at all...the lever moves up and down but wont change gears............I know the ball bearings you speak of.....I'll check them but I don't remember one falling out. There is on on the other end of the shift shaft and one in the round item I spoke of. The shift rod pulls out of the block very easy.
              Hi brcree,
              OK then, the clutch works fine but the shifter won't shift gears even though it's shaft turns with the pedal?
              You say "The shift rod pulls out of the block very easy"
              Do you mean the clutch actuating push rod, which should pull out, or the shifter shaft, which should partially rotate but not pull out at all?
              If the shaft that the shift lever clamps onto will pull out of the block it means that the gearshifting mechanism on it's other end has fallen off.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sorry, should have mentioned that it was the clutch actuator shaft that pulls out easy. The shaft that the lever is clamped on pulls in and out about 1/2 an inch and will move up and down some but no changing of gears happens.
                At this time:
                1985 Goldwing Innr.
                1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                2007 vtx 1300
                81 sx 1100 s h
                81 sx 400 special

Comment

I don't recall mine moving that far. That sound like something may have come out of place. Did you try rotating the rear wheel while trying to shift? They will sometimes end up with the gears not lined up and they won't shift, but moving the wheel will let them shift.
                  Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                  Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                  Vetter Windjammer IV
                  Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                  OEM Luggage Rack
                  Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                  Spade Fuse Box
                  Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                  750 FD Mod
                  TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                  XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                  XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

clutch

Hey Cy......I'll give that a try as well......when I get time I will remove the rt. cover and see if anything has come loose......hope I don't cause another prob removing another cover........
                    At this time:
                    1985 Goldwing Innr.
                    1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                    2007 vtx 1300
                    81 sx 1100 s h
                    81 sx 400 special

Comment

clutch

Hey Rpgoer....nice selection of 11's!
                      At this time:
                      1985 Goldwing Innr.
                      1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                      2007 vtx 1300
                      81 sx 1100 s h
                      81 sx 400 special

Comment

Thanks,

Did you get that clutch adjusted and working on the XS400?
                        Richard

Comment

clutch

Hey Rp......not yet...had a wedding to go to today. Will try and see about it tomorrow. I'll let you know what I find.......
                          At this time:
                          1985 Goldwing Innr.
                          1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                          2007 vtx 1300
                          81 sx 1100 s h
                          81 sx 400 special

Comment

Clutch

Hay, its alive and well.....! After a buddy came by and put and eye on it we figured it out. Had to take the rt. side cover off to expose the clutch basket, behind that you could see the arm that has a oblong open slot at one end and is welded to the rod that goes through the block which has the shift lever clamped on it. Well, the slotted end had jumped off the shifter arm where the slot is. It took the two of us to get the parts back in line but it snapped back into shape without removing the basket. I guess as I was tugging on the shift arm to get it off the rod I must have pushed it in to far, the e ring is missing from the rod on the lft side, that keeps it from going in to far.
                            At this time:
                            1985 Goldwing Innr.
                            1976 cb 750 cafe racer
                            2007 vtx 1300
                            81 sx 1100 s h
                            81 sx 400 special

Comment

Working...
                            X