Won me a trophy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won me a trophy.

I rode my 1970 BSA 250 on a 100km ride to the Biggar SK British Bike Rally. It was the first time I'd ridden a solo machine any distance for years. I don't like to ride that little machine wide open as one would have to in order to keep up with traffic so I just kept pop-pop-popping along at ~75kph and watched the scenery go by. There's only light traffic on Hwy 14 to Biggar and I pulled onto the hard shoulder any time a vehicle showed up in the mirror. I met with old and new friends, the food and the weather were great and the Biggar Rally always shows a motorcycle-themed movie at the community owned theatre. We've had Motorcycle Diaries, Wild Hogs, World's Fastest Indian, but this year there was a serious blunder.
    Some genius thought that James Dean's Rebel Without a Cause was a bike movie rather than a study of teenage angst. Guess you can't win every time, eh?
    But anyway, comes the awards time I won a nice plaque with half a piston on it for having the smallest displacement motorcycle. I won on a technicality, there were other 250cc machines at the rally but they had been trailered in. And so home again at 75kph in the sunshine.
    Got a bee strike in the neck on the way home, how can those little bastards find that half-inch gap between your helmet and your collar? One last great thing about riding a 250, it's been a long time since I've been able to buy the gas for a 200km trip for less than $10.
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

That's pretty cool Fred.
    BUT next time take your camera and post some pics (please )

mro

Comment

Way to go, Fred! Sounds like you had a good time anyway. The bees . . . man, I don't know how they do it, they just know!
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

you need to update to a newer bike to go faster...

i still run my 1975 S1 up to 105mph from time to time, just to keep the heart pumping.

but i understand what you mean, it's not safe by any stretch of the imagination.

but it's nise to take the old bikes out a tool around and make people wonder if you've lost your mind...

Ride on.
        1979 XS1100SF Special.78 E motor/carbs, Jardine 4-2 exhaust, XS Green coils, Corbin seat, S.S. Brake lines, Hard cases, Heated grips.
        1981 Yamaha XJ750RH Seca (War Pig) XS11S front end and rear swingarm with 17" rim, 20mm ammo box saddle boxes, HID headlight, LED aux lights, Heated grips & seat, Bark busters, Harley 12" shocks, S.S. brake lines, oil cooler

PW50, PW80, YZ80(mine? what the??? Brrap OH...)

Most bike problems are caused by a loose nut connecting the handlebars and the seat!!

Comment

Working...
        X