No announcement yet.

Replacement for XS11E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gonna drive a FJR and Connie tomorrow...........
    Bob

Comment

"IF" I was to get another bike it would be the Honda ST1300.
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Bought the FJR today. whoopie

Rode it 50 miles home in the rain. Never had so much fun in the rain with my clothes on........

Very sad to see the XS sitting next to the FJR knowing that I'm gonna have to sell it. 33 years a long time to be trusting each other with our lives.
        Bob

Comment

Originally posted by buggrin View Post
          Rode it 50 miles home in the rain. Never had so much fun in the rain with my clothes on........

Very sad to see the XS sitting next to the FJR knowing that I'm gonna have to sell it. 33 years a long time to be trusting each other with our lives.
          If you have had it that long you might be sorry if you sell it, keep it around just for short trips, but who am I to say, I cant let go of nothing, i only have nine of them setting around here, only 3 of them run.
          1979 xs1100 f
          142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
          floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
          1978 gl 1000 goldwing
          1981 gl 1100 goldwing
          !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
          when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

It's gonna kill me to sell it. It's always been kept in the garage & it's too cramped in there with both bikes.
            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by buggrin View Post
              It's gonna kill me to sell it. It's always been kept in the garage & it's too cramped in there with both bikes.
              Now buy a house with a bigger garage. All problems solved.

Whilst I sometimes long for the comfort of a newer bigger bike, can't dispute the cool factor and ease of maintenance of my 80g. My kids have been bugging me for years to get rid of my '75 Power Wagon that I bought new. Ain't happening. Still runs great, pulls like a tank, sucks gas, vibrates BUT, no check engine light, computers, fuel injection, sensors, ect. ect. It beats the road into submission with cubic inches and CFM. And, "thats a cool old truck" comments at the gas station are worth it.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Last year I was looking for a replacement for my XJ (Which I still have.) Decided to go with a C-10 Kawasaki Concours. the 1000cc model was last built in '06, then Kawasaki went to the C-14 with the 1300cc engine.

Many reasons why I went to this bike, including 24 year production run, in-line 4, lots of aftermarket parts and acesories, relatively easy to work on, great reputation for reliability, and all those Ninja parts if I ever want to upgrade past 100 hp. (The Concours engine is based on the Ninja.) With its 7.5 gallon tank it is top heavy in low speed manuvers, but with Michelin tires and its monoshock rear suspension, it handles and brakes quite well.

IMHO the Concours was most like the XJ, except much newer. Did I mention cost? the Connie was under 5K wilth less than 20,000 miles on the clock, and that was from a dealer. PO had already fitted SS brake line, GIVI rack, and a footpeg lowering kit. I upgraded the windshield ($100) - stock unit is frequently changed out for taller/wider units - put on handlebar risers ($50) added a mechanical throttle lock ($20) and added a set of highway pegs ($80). Next will be a better seat, like a Day-Long or Seargent. Nice to have a bike where you can get this stuff as off-the-shelf parts!

The Connie is a good bike, takes some customizing to get it dialed in for any particular user, but I think I made a good transition. My goal is to do a frame-up rebuild on the XJ, now that it does not serve as a daily ride.

Don't overlook the Concours if you are looking for a newer daily ride.
                Jerry Fields
                '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                '06 Concours
                My Galleries Page.
                My Blog Page.
                "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Rode a connie before the yahama. Liked its handling and power a little better than the FJR. Rode both bikes two up along side a dealership racer guy who was riding the other one. Good test ride == About 20 miles each.

When we got back I had a serious burn on the inside of my right thigh from the connie. (red mark still there 2 days later) Bought the FJR. Found out after test riding the tires on the FJR were low on pressure which deteriorated the handling for the comparison. I'd have to ride the kawa again to compare.

Wife was terrified without a backrest so had to get a corbin seat w/ backrest to make her happy

After reading the manual I got a strong feelin that upkeep on this new one is gonna be a lot more pricier than I'm used to.
                  Bob

Comment

Consider the FZ1

My neighbor bought an FZ1, which looks like a naked R1. It's an upright riding position bike, not a crotch rocket riding position. I rode it the othe day and WOW!!! it was awesome. Very comfortable as well.
                    He got it with GIVI bags and trunk that provide plenty of storage for weekend trips. Plus the trunk serves as a backrest for the wife.
                    He added a rack to the top of the trunk for extra carrying capacity and for those items that don't fit in the bags or trunk.
                    It's a very fast and powerful scoot, handles very well at low speeds as well.
                    1980G Standard, Restored
                    Kerker 4 - 1
                    850 Rear End Mod
                    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                    Automatic CCT
                    1980GH Special, Restored
                    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Working...
                    X