Replacement for XS11E?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement for XS11E?

I got the new bike twitch. !st time since 1978 so guess I'm due.......

Glanced at the Yahama 1300F since it has the inline 4 but have not dared go to the dealer to look at one. Mighty pretty and impressive in the website and reviews, but mighty big bucks too. I'm more about comfort now in the later years and looked at the Goldwings but I have enough cars.

Anybody have one? I figured this is the place to ask since y'all know where I'm comparing from.
    Bob

I have drooled over that one too. I also like the Honda ST's. The support for the ST's is just about as good as the XS11, from what I hear.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

The XJ900S Diversion is a good, reliable alternative and won't break the bank.

Comment

I've been looking at the new Kawasaki Concours. 2008 and up have a 1400cc engine, and a very good reputation. The San Jose, CA police use the ST1300, the California Highway Patrol use the BMW, but are going to the Kawasaki. Lower cost, better handling, and higher top speed are all part of the reason for the switch. I've seen a few LOW mileage Kaws for about $9K, and they ALL have a transferable 3 year, unlimited mile warranty.
        Good luck on making a decision, but do try riding each one. IMHO, it's a matter of what fits you, as all three seem to be close in most performance and reliability.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

For me, Honda ST1100 was the perfect move from an XS.
          80 SG
          81 SH in parts
          99 ST1100
          91 ST1100

Comment

+1 on the ST....11 or 13. DiverRay, Davis Service Center in Montrose has a real nice used 08 Conny. Google their website. Not a scratch on it when I was down there a week ago. Can't remember for sure, but thought I saw $7'800 on it.
            81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

article

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
              I've been looking at the new Kawasaki Concours. 2008 and up have a 1400cc engine, and a very good reputation. The San Jose, CA police use the ST1300, the California Highway Patrol use the BMW, but are going to the Kawasaki. Lower cost, better handling, and higher top speed are all part of the reason for the switch. I've seen a few LOW mileage Kaws for about $9K, and they ALL have a transferable 3 year, unlimited mile warranty.
              Good luck on making a decision, but do try riding each one. IMHO, it's a matter of what fits you, as all three seem to be close in most performance and reliability.
              I googled the Yamaha & came up with a couple of articles comparing all three. Generally the Yahama out best but the Kaw gave most bang for the buck. Both agreed with you that Beemer was too much bucks. My mechanic says the Yamaha is prooven & local Beemer dealers are impossible. Also Beemer parts are outrageous. Good suggestion to ride all.
              Bob

Comment

If they would sell it here I would get either a Yamaha XJR1300 or the Honda (I think it's a) CBR1100 that looks like the old CB400 super sport... Neither are sold here and they're the only 2 new Japanese bikes I want...

Geezer
                Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Yeh, why is it that they don't send the good ones to the USA!
                  79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                  80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                  80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                  79 DT 100

Comment

Yamaha venture

1986 yamaha venture, I love it, if i was going to buy a new bike it would be a new yamaha venture star royal, hands down, but i may wait and see if they come out with a new one with that 1700 vmax motor first, i may be dreaming and that will never happen, this old venture, all the motor is, is a vmax motor camed and carbed down
                    1979 xs1100 f
                    142 main, 45 pilot, Jardeen crosover 4/2, no air box
                    floats @ 25.7

1979 xs1100 F
                    1978 gl 1000 goldwing
                    1981 gl 1100 goldwing
                    !986 venture royale 1300

Just an ol long haired country boy, come to town to spend some egg money
                    when ya get bucked off, get back on

Comment

They're gonna have to pry the 78 from my cold dead hands! Ain't never gonna give up my 78 XS11. I've owned an 80 special and an 82 XJ and the 78 is the sweetest! No need of an upgrade for this old boy. Instead of people coming up to me and saying, "nice hardley" they come up to me and say, "what is that?" It's all about the coolness factor.
                      My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by mstic2000 View Post
                        They're gonna have to pry the 78 from my cold dead hands! Ain't never gonna give up my 78 XS11. I've owned an 80 special and an 82 XJ and the 78 is the sweetest! No need of an upgrade for this old boy. Instead of people coming up to me and saying, "nice hardley" they come up to me and say, "what is that?" It's all about the coolness factor.
                        Never thought I'd get another. Had the 78 since new & with the TKAT fork brace, it's been perfect, but now has a problem with low end sag around 2000RPM that's got me crazy. Really a small problem that most would never notice, but I'm so anal I can't get over it.............
                        Bob

Comment

Never rode a BMW, but always heard that they are "top-heavy". I'm staying with my Yamahammer for now. Great all around bike.
                          Richard
                          '79 XS1100SF "Phantom Stranger" full fairing w/radio and cd player, H-D Roadking trunk, everything else stock
                          '02 Honda VTX1800C

Comment

Originally posted by Geezer View Post
                            If they would sell it here I would get either a Yamaha XJR1300 or the Honda (I think it's a) CBR1100 that looks like the old CB400 super sport... Neither are sold here and they're the only 2 new Japanese bikes I want...

Geezer
                            Looked it up - very nice, but chain drive?
                            Bob

Comment

Originally posted by buggrin View Post
                              Looked it up - very nice, but chain drive?
                              I don't have a problem with chain drive but it does take more maintenance...

Geezer
                              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

Working...
                              X