How many misses until it sells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by redbone View Post
    don't take it to heart........the economy is in the toilet now. unless people are gettin somethin for nothin, they ain't gonna bite.
    I think this one hit it on the head. The NEW bike market sucks right now, because there are so many people selling nice, late-model used bikes for whatever they can get. People need the cash, and are often willing to drop prices to get whatever is offered. It's a buyers' market in just about every field, and unfortunately, the demand for 30-year-old bikes just isn't that high. I told a dealer the other day that some of our bikes are getting up to $3700, and his response was one of shock! He said, "They didn't cost that much NEW, did they?" I guess the Antique factor just doesn't apply/appeal to some people yet.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by CatatonicBug View Post
      I think this one hit it on the head. The NEW bike market sucks right now, because there are so many people selling nice, late-model used bikes for whatever they can get. People need the cash, and are often willing to drop prices to get whatever is offered. It's a buyers' market in just about every field, and unfortunately, the demand for 30-year-old bikes just isn't that high. I told a dealer the other day that some of our bikes are getting up to $3700, and his response was one of shock! He said, "They didn't cost that much NEW, did they?" I guess the Antique factor just doesn't apply/appeal to some people yet.

I bought my '09 Raider a couple of weeks ago during an Open House at the Yamaha dealership in Manchester, NH. They told me that they sold something like 30 bikes that weekend. Most likely they meant both new and used.

They offered me $800 for my XS1100SG but I said, "No thanks."

Don
      currently own;
      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Originally posted by DJinNH View Post
        They offered me $800 for my XS1100SG but I said, "No thanks."
        Do they want an XJ650?

I've had one more person come look at the bike and i have one more saying he's trying to get cash together to come pick it up. I'm supposed to hear from the second guy any time now.
        '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
        '86 VF500F
        '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

Comment

Good luck! If I had the cash I'd pick it up for SWMBO in a second.
          Mike C
          Lake Orion, Michigan
          '78 XS1100E

Here I am! Where are you?

Comment

It finally sold yesterday for the $850 that I was willing to take. I sold the sissy bar that I had for it about a month ago for $50 so I got $900 out of it. The guy I bought it off of gave me an extra tire, a helmet(not worth wearing), and a cover, all of which I still have. I originally bought it for $1000 last year, so with all of that in mind I think I broke even.

Previous ride:
            '86 VF500F
            '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

I've been frustrated by the same thing lately, I've got SWMBO's shadow up on craigslist and its a solid runner, it could use a few little cosmetic things but mechanically its got so many new bits it'll run for another 20 years. I keep getting e-mails asking if I'll take half my asking price, I mean really I said OBO but half is a little insulting when I see bikes just like it selling for what I'm asking or more. I understand people are looking for a deal but I'm not going to take half what its listed for, we'll keep it and ride it. We're only selling it because shes ready for a bigger bike, I guess she wants to be able to at least attempt to keep up with the xs.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Congrats BlackD1114. Glad you got what you wanted for it.

I take it the XS is ready for the road or will be shortly
                Richard

Comment

The XS is close. I just got done cleaning both brake master cylinders. Just need to fill them back up and bleed the brakes. The only other issue keeping it from getting on the road is the #2 cylinder isn't firing now. I checked for spark and have it, I'm pretty sure that I'm getting fuel through the carb, so that means I'm left with the thought of a stuck valve. I should know more tomorrow.

Previous ride:
                  '86 VF500F
                  '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Working...
                  X