How many misses until it sells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many misses until it sells?

I've been trying to sell my '82 XJ650 for about 2 months now with no luck. I've had a ton of people come look at it and tell me that they wanted it but never followed through. There is nothing wrong with the bike. In fact, I'll be happy if I'll ever get the XS11 to run as good as my XJ. I know that I'm not asking too much for it since I've plenty of legit offers. I just want the bike gone but for what it's worth. Grrrrr. Someone just come buy this thing.

Has anyone else had trouble selling a bike lately?
    '81 XS1100LH (almost ready)

Previous ride:
    '86 VF500F
    '82 XJ650J Maxim

"That which doesn't kill you most likely will the second time." -Eugene Krabs-

I've had no nibbles at all on my XS1100SH. I can't say I am surprised as I have yet to post any photos. The bike is in pieces right now as I have a guy working on the head and carbs. I also have a new Jardine 4 into 1 exhaust on order for it.

I've replaced so many things on this bike with new parts. New paint job done by a professional at a body shop on the tank and side covers. New tires, all kinds of stuff.

I get the impression that any possible buyers would want to get it for only around $1,000 but when I think of what I have paid for the bike and everything I have put into it, I don't see how I can afford to take a loss on it.

Maybe I'll just end up giving it to my son.

Good luck with your hopeful sale.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Years ago i was selling my KZ400.It was at the start of Spring and alot of people called but they wanted me to drop the price over the phone.A girl called and asked to look at it.She came over and asked alot of questions and said she will be back.I thought that's what they all say.That afternoon she brought her Father and i started the bike and took it for a test ride while they followed me so they could see that it ran good.She said i will take it -no drop in price asked and away she went.Never came back so i guess she was happy.
      1980 XS1100 SG
      Inline fuel filters
      New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
      160 mph speedometer mod
      Kerker Exhaust
      xschop K & N air filter setup
      Dynojet Recalibration kit
      1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
      1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

I've sold a few in the last 6 months. The last one an 82 CB900F Supersport took right at a month. I had deleted the ad and relisted it last Sunday. 2 hours later I had 4 people show up to check it out. The last guy bought it.

A few things I believe helped on Craigslist:
        Imbed the link to the pic at photobucket for larger pics rather than uploading the pic. Make sure You've got it cleaned up REAL GOOD!
        Insert a few key words at the bottom so it shows up on any search, like XJ, 650, XJ650, Yamaha, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki
        If you've not had a bite in a few weeks, delete it and re-add the listing.
        OBO always helps!
        Richard

Comment

OBO really gets me angry when i try to sell a bike because people want everything for nothing.I know that alot of people don't believe in book value,but as a owner of 2 motorcycles people don't want to pay what you want.If i was selling a bike and say it needed new tires and someone said to me-the tires are not cheap and will need to be replaced yeah i might knock off some money but it wont be alot.Years ago someone wanted my XS but they only wanted to give me $250.00 for it and it was a running bike.They didn't even see what it looked like before they came up with a price.
          1980 XS1100 SG
          Inline fuel filters
          New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
          160 mph speedometer mod
          Kerker Exhaust
          xschop K & N air filter setup
          Dynojet Recalibration kit
          1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
          1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Hey Don,
            Give the bike to your son and keep it in the family. :-)

I dont think any of us will ever get back anything near what we've put into these bikes.
            Last edited by petejw; 05-10-2009, 07:35 PM. Reason: speln
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

how much are you asking? i have a freind looking but we are kinda far away... he likes the style of the xj, is it the seca or maxim?
              " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
              xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
              8mm msd wires
              tkat fork brace...
              Fox shocks...
              mikes650 front fender
              led's gallore...
              renthal bars
              gold valve emulators
              vmax tensioner
              Rifle fairing

Comment

When I was looking for a bike, before I found Thunderstruck, I looked up the bike on NADA for the value. Then assessed what was needed from the description given.

I would use the information in the ad to determine the condition of the bike like Showroom condition would equate to excellent for me, dents and dings would step down to "good" to "very good" depending on the size of the dents. Then any repairs needed I would deduct from the price. Depending on how bad I wanted the bike I would either deduct the price I'd pay to have the work done or the price of the parts needed to do the work myself. I felt that was a fair way to access the price of the bike and that determined if I was interested enough to go look at it. After inspection, the price would be adjusted based upon what was found.

I never asked about the price until after I looked at the bike, but honestly anyone who does is only trying to limit the amount of time wasted by both parties in my opinion. If they are not willing to pay more than X amount for it and you are not willing to take that amount, why bother coming to look. JMHO.
                Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                93 GSX600F
                80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                81 XS1100 Special
                81 CB750 C
                80 CB750 C
                78 XS750

Comment

You NEVER Negotiate over the phone, It only leads to more negotiating after they get there. Tell em Bring cash, Cash Talks! If they are really interested they'll come.

I saw two 1982 XJ650's in Toledo. One for $950 one for $1000obo on Craigslist.
                  Looked like a fair price for either one to me.
                  Richard

Comment

I negotiated over the phone once. Guy about 5 hours from here had an SG, which was exactly what I was looking for, listed for $XX, which I thought was a really good price. I called him up, talked to him to get a clear idea of what he actually had, because he really wasn't sure. When he mentioned he had somebody coming by on Saturday to have a look and maybe do a "OBO", I told him I'd give him his $XX asking price plus $200, and I'd be there around lunch on Saturday with cash in hand. That sealed the deal. Drove over on Saturday, bought it, and drove it home.
                    Ken Talbot

Comment

don't take it to heart........the economy is in the toilet now. unless people are gettin somethin for nothin, they ain't gonna bite.
                      testing 1-2-3

1980 1100 mns

Comment

Should have seen the mini novel I wrote....then it all failed to post and was lost.

Anyway, here's more info on the bike I am trying to sell.

1981 XS1100SG (Special)
                        http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21950

Don
                        currently own;
                        1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                        2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

how much are you asking? i have a freind looking but we are kinda far away... he likes the style of the xj, is it the seca or maxim?
                          yamahansolo:
                          I have the bike up for $950. It's a Maxim. And if you're buddy is interested let me know. The bike runs flawlessly. The clear on the tank is a little shot but overall the bike looks great. And since you're a member here, I'll cut to the chase so if your buddy(or anyone on this site) wants it, $850 firm.

I saw two 1982 XJ650's in Toledo. One for $950 one for $1000obo on Craigslist.
                          Looked like a fair price for either one to me.
                          rpgoerlich:
                          The one for $950 is mine. I've had about half a dozen people come look at it and wanted to buy it for a price within my liking but never came back or called.

Here is my craigslist ad for those who care to take a look.

Previous ride:
                          '86 VF500F
                          '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Do the photobucket idea.

Detail it and take some higher res shots. It's hard to tell what you really have there unless someone is willing to travel to find out.

I think the pictures may truly be the problem. I tried to look at it as a buyer and I was left "wondering about the condition" from the photos.
                            My Stable:

2006 Triumph Bonneville Black
                            1979 Yamaha XS11 Special (2 of them)
                            1982 Yamaha XS400 Heritage Special
                            1981 Suzuki GS550 E
                            1976 Honda CB550F Supersport

Comment

Thanks for the input. I'll shoot some new ones today and repost the ad.

Previous ride:
                              '86 VF500F
                              '82 XJ650J Maxim

Comment

Working...
                              X