New bike in the near future?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

See if this works:

Last edited by LCS249; 10-27-2007, 06:49 PM.
    1982 XJ1100J Maxim
    2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

Sorry ... absurdly huge.

Still working out how to do this.

Those photos were taken by the previous owner.

I have since added GenMar risers, a Bill Mayer Seat, a better windscreen, new tires, new brake pads, new horn ... and now I'm selling it because my back needs a better position....

Say like an XJ11...

best, Leon
      1982 XJ1100J Maxim
      2000 BMW R1200C

“We go to heaven for the climate, hell for the company.” – Mark Twain

Comment

I just found this post, and I see you are talking about sport touring. I happen to drive an FJR (we call them 'feejers' not ('fudgers').

I think the new Connie is very cool, but really if you bought any of those 07 bikes listed you would have a very positive and enjoyable experience. You can nitpick one against the other, but singling out a couple of minor features like .5 sec 1/4 mile time differences are just for bragging rights, in my opinion, and not really indicative of what the bikes are about.

I don't get many motorcycle mags, but in the current Rider magazine there is a review of the 4. Rider tends to give more rider touchy-feely comments rather than the hard numbers. But after the test they couldn't decide a clear winner so they chose the least-to-most flaws route, which had the least flawed bike was the winner, nitpicky was 2nd, more nitpicky 3rd, most nitpicky 4th. Funny way to lose. But the point is that whichever of these bikes you would choose you would win.

The Honda ST1300 came out on top. It was 'dampened' well, had a good center of gravity and no one complained about the "control." (This is the bike that most people who had the opportunity to compare said the heat generation was unbearable, much more than the 1st Gen FJR. I have no experience in this, my FJR puts out very little heat.)

The FJR was 2nd best, and would have won except for the stiff throttle. The FJR would have won for it's "...handling and smaller, more nimble feel..." (BTW the stiff throttle is an easy fix for no $$, just a 15 minute return spring adjustment - which I have not done since the 'stiff' throttle is not bothering me.)

The Concours ("...great engine, handles well...") was 3rd do to its bulky feel, engine heat, and lack of wind protection.

And the BMW was 4th with a lack of feedback from it's duo-lever front suspension and overly sensitive brakes, and shifting anomalies. (This from a bike costing $5,000 more than the competition.)

Again at first there was no clear winner, then they finally decided based on "flaws." These are things that the rider "feels," items that can all be addressed. Well the "bulky feel" of the KAW might not be addressed.

Note that this comparo was solo riders. I don't recall seeing any reports or comparisons that included a pillion rider.

When I was shopping for a new sport touring bike, I thought everything about the new Connie as way cool, and would have bought one but it was not available this spring. I had researched the ST and the FJR and the FJR was always at or near the top of any comparo. I went to an FJR rally in 2006 to watch them in action. They did well enough, so I bought one. Frankly I did not consider the BMW since there are no dealers anywhere near me and it doesn't have anything on it worth $5,000 more.

I put nearly 16,000 miles on my FJR, which I purchased new on April 26 2007, and during all my riding this summer I have passed almost every make of vehicle when I wanted to pass, and almost every make of vehicle has passed me. I have the stock seats, stock suspension (except 7/8" shorter dogbones to get my sag back up with Sally on), and have done many 600 and 800 mile days. I can carry Sally and enough for two on a 9 day 3 time zone 15 state 4,000 mile trip. I can load me and Sally on, take off for Myrtle Beach on Friday morning, sit on the beach for 2 days, then return Monday, 800 miles down, 800 back, all [mostly] 2 lane, and be back to work on Tuesday, bragging about MY weekend. Except for about 200 miles Sally has been on the back the whole time. I can do the speed limit or faster (up to 130MPH GPS indicated and 2-up, in Montana IIRC, with lots to go), and I don't generally slow down for curves. I have worn out 4 back tires and 2 front tires. I have thoroughly enjoyed my FJR, got no complaints. I did add an intercom, and some day I will upgrade the suspension and the seat, but no hurry. It does fine just as is.

And I think I could say the same about the other 3 bikes that were mentioned, had I bought any one of them. I would have had just as much fun and I would have not been disappointed.

Is one better than the others? Are they all perfect? Heck no. There are a couple of items that one might have over another, looks, outright horsepower, whatever, and I think you decide what is important and pick from that. All of these bikes are good, but they are built for "average"- average people, average roads, average speeds. I am over 6' so I am taller than average, and I tend to drive a little faster than the average. But you have to pick based on what is important to you. Mine was 2 up room, load, AND handling. I wanted to have a good long distance ride, AND have fun once I got there. The FJR does it. It absolutely does it. Remember at the time the only real choice was the FJR or the ST. The old Connie was old, the new Connie not available to try on, and I am NOT a cruiser type.

And for sure after you buy one of these you will be adding $$$$ acce$$orie$. They all need them.

My $0.02.

BTW, in the roll-on test the FJR should be allowed to shift down to compare. The Connie runs at 3,250 RPM at 60, the FJR is only at 3,050 at 60, both in top gear. But that is just a nitpick...
        Marty in NW PA
        Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
        Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
        This IS my happy face.

Comment

Sport touring comparo

I don't get many motorcycle mags, but in the current Rider magazine there is a review of the 4,
          The FJR was 2nd best,

However,

In the newest Motorcycle consumer news mag, Very close, but they rated the FJR best, AND best value. If shopping, this is worth a read.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/cover/200712-cover.pdf

Good luck shopping, may your wonderful dreams come true.
          Brent in Ga
          It is a great big beautiful world out there
          Brent in GA
          Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Re: Sport touring comparo

Originally posted by Brent
            I don't get many motorcycle mags, but in the current Rider magazine there is a review of the 4,
            The FJR was 2nd best,

However,

In the newest Motorcycle consumer news mag, Very close, but they rated the FJR best, AND best value. If shopping, this is worth a read.

http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/cover/200712-cover.pdf

And on the other side Motorcyclist rated the C14 Motorcycle of the Year in their Sport touring class.

Spirited discussion on the LDrider list under the thread:
            Re: F****** BULL S***: was: Re: Rider Magazine Sport

I have confidence that you will choose some good for what you want to do with it.

Good luck shopping, may your wonderful dreams come true.
            Brent in Ga
            Brent in GA
            Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Since Bob Jones passed I just happen to drop back intoday.

I can tell you from experience...most of the writers at these magazines are idiots. There opinion means little to me other than to quote it.

I seriously considered an FJR before I bought this Concours. I rode two different FJRs and they are great bikes. But after I rode the Concours there was no further contemplation.

In my opinion (which doesn't mean much to most people) the C14 beats the FJR on several fronts:

-obviously power and speed. The FJRs I rode ran very very strong. Much stronger han the ST1300. But not nearly as strong as the Conccours. The Concours is the first 700 lb bagger I've ever ridden that will power wheelie readily. You can get the Fudger up but it takes a little effort. The C14 is simply the flick of a wrist and it will do it in 1st...2nd AND 3rd. The thing has train loads of torque and much more than the Fudger in the lower rpm ranges. I have no idea what these idiots at the magazines are smoking to have missed this. The only ones that got it right were at motorcyclist.

-Speed...either of the FJR I rode I simply could not top them out past about 145 indicated. No doubt that is fast! But I've takne this C14 to 155-160 sveral times and it still feels like it's climbing.

- To me ...from a handling standpoint the C14 will out handle the FJR. In spite of being bigger and heavier it is much more nimble. The FJR felt a bit "stiff" in the turns expect for cornering clearance wher is dragged the pegs quiet readily. I have gottan the pegs to drag in the big Kaw...but dear lord you hae to be pushing it very very hard to do it. The Kawasaki simply has mor cornering clearance and feels much more nimble in the curves to me.

- The Tire Pressure Sensors on this bike are a huge plus. It's a first in class thing so no one else has them. Essentially if you catch a nail and the tire starts going flat you get a flashing warning light when the tire pressure drops to 33 psi. Normally the only warning you'd get is when it was too late. The new Concours fixes this deadly potential.

-Brakes...the Concours will stop on a dime. Far out performing the FJR. In a recent shootout by MCN magazine the Concours did 60 to 0 in 121 feet. The FJR did it in 144! Still the Yamahores at MCN rated the FJR higher in braking? WTF??? They actually wrote and I quote "...could it be the Concours brakes are tooo powerful...we think so...". What a bunch of morons. This is why I say these magazines are idiots. I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

- Hard bags have much more volume than the Fudger. For a hard azz like meeself that rides 6 or 7 thousand miles in a 10 day trip this rox! I carry everything including a Kohler sink!

-The seat on the Concours is hideously ugly. As is the exhaust. But the seat works better than any stock seat I've ever sat on. So well in fact I doubt I'll change it any time soon. Honestly...the FJR seat was wide enough for my fat azz. So I didn't like

-Last is the looks. This is sujective. But it is still a big reason I chose the Concours over the FJR, ST or Bimmer. The Concours looks like a true sport bike. In my opinion it makes all others look like a scooter.

Things I like about the FJR are fit and finish. The FJR seemed to be assembled a little more tightly. Also the tank on the FJR is bigger.

But all in all in my opinion the Concours is a better bike for the way I ride...very long distances at VERY high speeds.

Your mileage may vary ... and very likely will.
              Last edited by MAXIMAN; 12-20-2007, 03:56 PM.

Comment

So Maximan, I guess this is it for me, as well. I've been looking to pick up a "project" that I can ride a little, and then trade in.... I may end up with a Concourse myself, in about two years. If I get a "bigger" road bike, that SWMBO likes, it will be two up on a lot of rides.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

kaw

Good for you Maximan. Sounds like a good choice for youself!

When are we going riding again? Meet in Talahassee & ride to the keys? Not twisty, but warm.

Brent in GA
                  Brent in GA

Comment

The new bikes to me are ugly, I went and looked at a new Connie and was agast at the looks of it. It looks like cat women's bike to me.

I think most of these new bikes are ugly as hell!

Comment

Indeed they are...but they are also "FAST AS HELL"

It is really very freaky when you can simply roll the throttle ...on a full dressed touring machine...and loft the front wheel to 12 noon!

...or to experience acceleration on the order of a Hayabusa with hardbags attached.

...or to drop the hammer at 80 mph and see 155+ in 200 yards.

Yep....I agree. The thing is kinda ugly. But .... 145 rear wheel ponies, inverted forks, monocoque aluminum frame, tracking like it's on rails, silky smooth powerplant, and 10 second 440 yard dash make the homeliness a bit more bearable.

Comment

Whaddya mean, ugly?

You can't see it when you are riding it, right? And if you are riding it right, all anyone else can see is the tailpipe. On the downside, how much do those monsters weigh? Before I got old and switched to sidecars I'd worry about a bike being too heavy. Not too heavy to ride but to heavy to lift off yourself as you lay there with the thing on top of you. Even the stimulus of a hot exhaust pipe laying across your leg has limits in how heavy a bike you can kick straight up to stop the pain.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

I done went and Done it myself. I just won the bid on an '04 Connie. I had been debating getting a Connie or an XJR for over a year. Just couldn't bring myself to pay the 08 prices though.

The Battle Cruiser needs some extensive work and parts is gettin harder to come by so I thought I would get another bike to ride while I get the 1100 back to showroom new.

It's down in ATL and I can't get there to pick it up until the 6th of March (don't ya'll just hate workin?). I'll post some picks when I pick it up. It's very clean and the owner has been very forthright and cooperative. I'm looking forward to it. I just wish it was a little later in the season so I could do a "Fly - Ride" pickup.
                          Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                          78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                          02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

2 cents:
                            We have a Kawasaki/Yamaha dealer here in Salina (Kansas) and they've got a C14 and FJR side-by-side, both are silver. They seem to be about the same size to me. Sat on one, then sat right on the other...'bout the same. Seems like most posts here are probably valid; I really enjoyed what Maximan and MartyA had to say...don't think I can offer any logical disagreement.

To me: the thing that I notice with these 'new' bikes is that they are super strong (motor) and offer a heck of a balanced package. I'm from "back in the day" and we had built Zs and GSs that were radical and finicky and they managed to peak-out at what these things run at constantly. We had guys running on stratched and lowered (before that was common) bikes that made in the 140 - 150 bHp range and those bikes screamed.
                            These things are putting over 140 ponies to the ground and handling just fine and carbureting (excuse the term!) perfectly and just behaving wonderfully, all the while hauling the wife/girl-friend/groceries as far as you want in all the comfort of a recliner.
                            This point was driven home to me when my good friend and his modified ZRX 1100 that makes 119.9 bHp on our dyno (he hates that it doesn't clear 120 ) went head-to-head with this skinny kid on his FJR at KCIR (drag-strip). My friend is a big guy and this kid was about 140 with his gear on, but still ...
                            The FJR was stock (with bags!) and they both went 11.1 at 126...time after time after time. It was a straight-up fair fight that left me and Kraig totally impressed with the mill in the FJR.

This is what amazes me about these things. Great bikes, and I think that MartyA said something like "...you just can't go wrong..." I'd have to agree.

-KR
                            83 XJ900R (project)
                            82 KZ1000J (modified)
                            82 KZ1000J (ELR Clone)
                            82 KZ750R1 (GPz750)
                            78 Z1R (bone stock...for now)
                            84 GS1150ES (modded daily driver)
                            79 GS1000 (junk)
                            89 Hawk 650 (wife's ride)
                            82 CB1100F (calfab, CRs)

Comment

Working...