Best XS11 replacement for $3k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another bike

I have seen some very nice XS1100 bought for less than $3000.

If you want something a little different, get a special and a standard. Some XSives do.

Dependinhg on the type of riding you do, you can find something to surpass an 1100, But it will be deficient by comparison in an other area.

By all means, if you are going to spend a hunk of money, get something you really want. It is not a good deal for you if it is not what you want or need, regardless of what the blue book says.

Good luck, and remember with your money, you only get to spend it once,
    It is a great big beautiful world out there
    Brent in GA
    Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'd like this to be an ongoing topic.

I do like the VMax a lot. I need to test ride one that is in great shape to see if it will do much for me.

I also like the Bandit. Fantastic bike. This one is green - I'd rather have black or red. Also, the levers are slanted, which sucks, but those could be changed.

Although those things are about the only things I don't like about it, I will probably let it go this time.

When the new VMax comes out, I am counting on some old ones going on the market, even though the new Max might price everyone out of the market.

Riding season is 90% over where I live now, anyway, so what good is a new bike right now?

By the way, I didn't mean to title this thread "XS11 replacement." I know as well as you all that there is no replacement. Search for my old threads.... I had a very difficult time letting go of my 80g.

Ben
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

No need to explain, even if you were looking for a replacement. It's the "other bike's" forum for Pete's sake. A lot of folk around here need to unclench.

Comment

over in left field - - -

Hi Ben,
          lessee now, from what I read in this string;
          The urge for change is on you.
          You are wishy-washy about what bike you would like.
          You have 3 grand burning a hole in your pocket.
          Winter looms.
          Here's what to do. It solves all your problems.
          Hang a sidecar on your '80.
          What more change could you need?
          No more agonizing about this bike or that.
          No more 3 grand to spoil your tranquility.
          And you can cavort in the snow with impunity until it gets so cold that your 20W50 turns to syrup and the engine won't start.
          Fred Hill, S'toon
          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

LMAO.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Bloody typical

Give a bloke a serious answer that completely solves his problem and he thinks you are f***ing joking.
              Fred Hill, S'toon
              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Re: Bloody typical

Originally posted by fredintoon
                Give a bloke a serious answer that completely solves his problem and he thinks you are f***ing joking.
                I guess he is not a sidecar kinda guy.
                http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Sorry Fred. Did not mean for my last post to sound out of place...

I should have stated what amused me:
                  And you can cavort in the snow with impunity until it gets so cold that your 20W50 turns to syrup and the engine won't start.
                  Last winter here we had a string of -15f days - definitely cold enough to syrup the oil in my XS. I'm not much of a cold weather person anymore, so I definitely cavort with impunity, at least until it drops below zero!

Anyway, sorry if offended you, that was not my intention.

Thanks for the replies.
                  Ben

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hi Ben,
                    Who's offended? my reply was meant as a joke, absolutely NOT as a complaint.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

For under 3000 you could have three of these,

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Yamaha-XS-XS-1100...QQcmdZViewItem
                      Ernie
                      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Honda V65 Sabre

A couple of guys I work with have these and they are real happy with them. I think one has a '83 and one has a '85? Pretty sharp.
                        Bill

1980 XS 1100 Special
                        1979 650 Special - sold (Stupid Me!)

Comment

Radiation - I have an '82 Sabre 750 in my garage right now. It was sitting for a couple of years after my friend crashed it. I just got it going for him again. Nice bikes. Wish I had the 1100 model.

Ben

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Hey Ben, I saw a group of Vmaxs at an event in Johnstown this year. Man they are the $hit and like you, I WANT one. I really WANT one. If I was buyin another bike in the futuure, it will be a max. I really like he cabon fibre tank, don't remember the year it's on but...it will be my next bike..Unless I wait till I'm old and buy the rollin recliner Goldwing...
                            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                            1981 LH

Comment

Well, you prolly cant get this in the US, but.... XJR is a nice bike to ride.
                              Other options... kawa ZRX...

LP
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

You can usually find a ZRX1200R in the mid 3k range if you look real hard. The ZRX1100 isn't near as hot.

But if you can find a 12 it will run cirlces around a Bandit. I can not tell you how many 1200 Bandits I've toasted on the open road. They just don't make as much juice...not even close.

The new 1250 S will...but you ain;t gonna find one for 3000 bucks. I doubt you could find a FZ1 for 3000.

Another option is the FJ1200. With a header and re-jet these bikes will spin up about 120 at the rear wheel and will run almost neck and neck with a Rex 1200. But the cool thing is the FJ has a full sport fairing. And they hold their value very well. PLUS the motor is very similar to the XS11...just has a 16 valve head, more compression and cam. But the FJ1200 is a proven platform and parts are plentiful.

And if you ever wanted to take the FJ to a higher level....there is more trick stuff out there for that bike than you can shake a stick at. Drawback is...if you want something a little more modern it ain't the deal.

The ZRX has nicoseal cylinders...water cooled ....blah blah. the Bandit is air cooled...right? Muzzy makes a kit for the ZRX (pistons, block and cam) that will put it in the stratosphere. I know several guys that have seen 150 to 160 at the rear wheel and it isn't too expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X