Best XS11 replacement for $3k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best XS11 replacement for $3k?

What bikes can be had for $3k or less and are suitable as XS11 replacements?

I particularly like:
    VMax
    Bandit 1200
    FZ1

I can get a local (I think 1998 w/25k miles) for probably $2500. I have never ridden an FZ1 but they look awesome. I rode a Max once but it had serious issues and barely ran any quicker than my XS.

What other options do I have for $3k?

Ben
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Shop carefully and you can find a Honda ST 1100 for around 3K. They're quicker, quieter, and way more economical than an 11. But...they are not an 11.
    1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Replace an XS?????

There is no replacement for an XS!!!
      There are XSpensive imitators, but no such machine XSists as a replacement .
      Pat Kelly
      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Hi ae7F,

For $3K, I would buy a REALLY good XS, probably plus a parts bike, stick modern forks, brakes, radial tires and GSXR carbs on it, and still have a whole pile of change!

OOhhhh!... I forgot; I DID!

And I LOVE IT!!

AlanB.... I am not going to put a photo in again until I have painted the fairing!
        If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

My XS is in good shape now, except that it runs rich.

Problem is I got bitten by the VMax bug again. The chance to own one washed out.

I think I can get a 1999 Bandit 1200 from a local for $2500. 14k miles. I've ridden it. It's very fast, comfortable, etc.

Not sure what to do with $3k that seems to be burning a hole in my pocket for a bike....

Ben

Formerly:
          1982 XS650
          1980 XS1100g
          1979 XS1100sf
          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Send it to me I can put it to good use.
            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

You will love the Bandit, buy it = $2500 is a great price!

Comment

I will test ride the bandit again this week. I know it's fast, nimble, etc. The question will be how comfortable I am riding it for any distance or two-up.

I know the present owner, and he has never abused it. The previous owner was an older gentleman who used it for short commutes. I think it's a fine deal for this area for that reason, because it has low miles, and because I wouldn't have to pay shipping for it.

There are good deals elsewhere, but I don't know the histories on those bikes and I would have to pay shipping.

So really, these are the factors for me to not buy it:
                • It is fall, and where I live, riding season is almost done.
                • It's not a VMax, which is what I really want.
                • I probably couldn't justify keeping the XS if I get a new bike, but purchasing a Bandit, right now, doesn't seem to make me want to sell the XS.
                • I could save the $2.5k and add another $3k to it and get the Max
                • The XS is reliable, easy to work on, reasonably fast, and could do a lot with the right carb setup and a big-bore kit.
                • I could spend the winter staring at the Bandit in the garage or I could spend the winter installing an 1196 in the XS.
                • The bike looks like a cookie-cutter zip-splat. Where is the character?

Reasons to buy would include:
                • Desire to upgrade to modern technology.
                • Fantastic performance, acceleration, and top speed.
                • Useful when compared to other sport bikes.
                • Few to no bad comments about Bandits - people love them.
                • I know the owner and the bike is in good shape.
                • Low miles
                • At or below blue book
                • Don't have to pay shipping and get a bike I know little about

What do you guys think? I should mention that if I was confident enough to know that installing an 1196 and getting fuel delivery dialed in would put some major "WOW" into the XS, I might still go for that instead.

Both the Bandit 1200 and the 1987 CBR1000 I rode would stomp my 79sf. The XS really shouldn't get stomped that bad. Yet the Bandit and CBR I rode were also carbureted, and they didn't seem to struggle so much at this elevation.....

Ben

Formerly:
                1982 XS650
                1980 XS1100g
                1979 XS1100sf
                1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Man, you are blonde, aren't you?

Comment

I'm fishing for opinions about bikes, GNE.

Formerly:
                    1982 XS650
                    1980 XS1100g
                    1979 XS1100sf
                    1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Replace XS??

Maybe a Kaw KLR 650. That might do something that an XS1100 can not do.
                      But maybe with some big knobby tires and a skid pan an XS might off road too. Anyone ever do these mods?

I have seen Bohn Frazier ride 20 miles of forrest service gravel road in the Cohutta wilderness. (He really did not need that big yamaha fairing for that ride.)

Happy motoring,
                      Brent in GA
                      It is a great big beautiful world out there
                      Brent in GA
                      Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Good? Yep.
                        But it isn't an 11. 11s stand out, draw crowds, elicit comments from an awestruck public. Elbow grease, ingenuity and a winter's time can make a great bike even better. Pay your dime, dance your dance.
                        1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Hi ae7f,

Go for the big-bore; You don't need the Bandit, just the carbs off of it!

Have you seen my posts on late-model carbs? (I don't really wanna flag 'em again; it must be gettin' dull for the regulars!)

AlanB
                          If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

fishing for opinions

My opinion...like the XS for what it is....
                            Inexspensive, reliable, can do all work myself.

Since I seldom ride with others have no "peer presure" (also have few peers ).

But if I was into fast would get a Kawasaki's ZX-14 or maybe a Suzuki Hayabusa

mro

Comment

Get the Bandit. As an XS rider the powerband will be more to your liking. VMax never did it for me personally. Funny looking/sounding.

Comment

Working...
                              X