Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got the XS home finally.

Hi Guys,

I promised to host some pictures as soon as I got her. I still have to polish her up a bid, she's still covered with a lot of dust.

OK:
    XS1100

And for the ODO reading:
    ODO

And as for the bike was not driven for five years, the first problems already rearing their ugly head.

First of all, taking the bike from it's center stand was easy, moving the bike was a total different story. All Brakes were stuck.
    So took all brake callipers and master cylinders off. Cleaned them conpletely and flushed the brake lines. Mounted them back again, put new brake fluid in the resevoirs and bled the brakes. And guess what, all fine again.

Second
    Went over the electrics, all OK.
    Installed new plugs, all were sparking so ignition OK.

Thirds
    Drained all engine fluids, meaning engine oil and the carbs. The carbs were completely dry, oopss.

Took the carb rack out and opened up the float bowl resevoirs. Completely full with gum, crud, dried out fuell residual. Managed to get all nozzles, jets, needles, diaphrams out in one piece. Cleaned them all, opened up all holes in the carb.
    Builded the rack back in and was ready to fire her up.

Drained the gastank, refueled it.

Fired her up, and she was running, correctly at 1300 rpm.
    As soon as she was warmed up, I closed the choke. Instead of running on all fours, she was running only on two cyls. Checked for ballance, sync and cyl 2 and 3 were on full vacuum. I tried to adjust this but nomatter what I alter, the situation stays except when I put the choke back on, then she runs on four. Also above 3k she runs on all fours. Don't think it's ignition related because she's running fine on all four at 1000 rpm with the choke still on.
    I'll go over the pilot jets again and see what's wrong, maybe I missed something on those carbs.
    Anyone any experience with Mikuni carbs and thes symptoms on other bikes ??

Thanks,

the Dutchy
    Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.
    http://www.danasoft.com/sig/TheDutchy.jpg

Stuck

Beautiful Find! I’d check the floats. Sounds like 2 are stuck. If she will run on the enrichment circuit but 2 drop out when you close it off it’s got to be floats or a passage not clear in the idle circuit. Is that steering stabilizer stock?
    wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Yup. it's the pilot circuit. Pull the pilot needle and squirt carb cleaner down the hole and make sure it's coming out the hole in the carb throat. (Didn't break a pilot needle off in there, did ya?) Stick your finger over the hole in the throat and spray again, juice should squirt out the pilot jet on the underside o' the carb. Now squirt carb cleaner in the pilot AIR jet... one of the jets on the air cleaner side o' the carb. Juice should again flow from the pilot jet.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks Wingnut and Prometheus,

No I'dont think the steering damper was stock, the did make a nice mounting plate, making it look stock.

On the carbs, I cleaned all the jets, meaning the main jet, made sure juice amd air is comming through. The second jet near the main jet, as Irecall that's the pilot jet. The rear air jet and air hole.

Prometheus you're talking on pilot needles, which one are you referring to, do you mean the mixture needles in front of the carbs, just above the outlets (where the carb is mounted at the carb boots to the cylinder) ? My needles are still fitted with plastic caps, how do I remove these ??? I will do it with ease, I do not want to brake them.

The Dutchy.
        Freedom is speaking the longing for life when the opinions of the ages inform your experience that death is all that awaits you.

Comment

The plastic caps will just pop off. They are a sort of adjustment limiting gadget, on the pilot screws from the factory. You said you haven't pulled them, but maybe a PO has, and the tips are broken. From what you said, it all sounds like the pilot circuit is fouled.

Comment

Those needles, do they affect idling that bad??
            As far as I now the needles were not removed in the las couple of years. The last time I rode that bike (6 years ago) was the last time anyone has touched that bike. And it ran fine. I really don't want to touch those needles as long as I don't have to.

I cleaned and inspected:
            Diaphrams
            Main jet
            Main jet needle
            Pilot jet (next to the main jet and gets fuell through the main jet)
            Air jet (at the back of the carb)
            Got compressed air through those openings and all were showing air at the other end.

Only thing I didn't and still am afraid of taking out are those needles in front of the carb. Should I do it, the way as described at the tech section, or is it gonna result into the same situation as I am in right now..

The Dutchy
            (Don't get me wrong, I have been rebuilding, restoring bikes for quite some years)

Comment

Hey Dutchy,

Welcome from across the pond!! Don't be afraid of those pilot jet needles!! You can't ensure that the pilot circuit is clear UNLESS you remove the Pilot jets and needles, and SPRAY cleaner thru the Pilot Jet hole and ensure it comes out thru the Pilot Needle mounting threaded hole, and then with your finger over IT, that it comes out one of the little holes in the inside edge of the carb throat, next to the intake mounts, directly under where the pilot screw fits!!

YOU ARE NOT GETTING ANY FUEL THRU THE PILOT CIRCUIT IN THOSE 2 CARBS=cold pipes. When you crank the throttle, you're feeding them thru the MAINS bypassing the pilot circuit, getting fuel!!

After you remove the pilot screws, clean the circuit, then just GENTLY screw them back in until they gently seat, then back them out about 1 & 1/2 turns, and you should be good to go!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by The Dutchy

No I'dont think the steering damper was stock, the did make a nice mounting plate, making it look stock.

The Dutchy.
                Yamaha did offer a steering damper as an accessory, mainly for those who were making dressers out of XJs, both 1100s & 750s, and maybe other models as well. When I first purchased my XJ750RH it had a frame mounted fairing and it had that well-known dresser tendency for the forks to weave back and forth when decellerating at around 45 mph. Yamaha's recommended fix was to mount their accessory steering damper. I mounted a Telefix fork brace which cured the problem so I never bought a damper. Don't think the XS11 Special has any such tendencies, at least mine doesn't.

Really nice SF Dutchy. That was a real find. Won't take much to put that bike in top shape. Wish mine was that nice! Hope that isn't original Bridgestone Mag Mopus rubber on that thing, those tires were awful even when new.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Those needles, do they affect idling that bad??
                  Those needles ARE your idling! The plastic caps, as mentioned, are to stop people that don't know what they're doing from dickin' wit dem. We here on this site... why... we ALL know what we're doin'!
                  HAHAHAhA
                  Those caps are set at the factory to meet emission laws so they can be sold in the states, etc. (Triumphs come crated so lean that the pipes turn an ugly blue in under five minutes) Some carbs even come with little plugs over the pilot screws so that they are inaccessable and must be drilled out to get at them.
                  Bring your carbs to a mechanic to clean, and he has to take the plastic caps off, or drill out the plugs to do his job. This job you can do. And T.C. has already given you the proper factory setting to set them back to.
                  Enjoy.... you are now a Carb Expert! (I will send you your hat and lapel pin next week)
                  "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Thanks Guys,

She is phurring like a little cat at idle and howling like a wolf when I open her up.

Yeah

Still have to do some final tuning, she is making a small backflapping sound running idle. Think it still needs a sync.
                    First I'm gonna get some new plugs and drive her around for a couple miles, break her in, she hasn't been running for five years so have everything settle a bit.

Multiple thanks,
                    The Dutchy

By the way.

The cap can be send to:
                    R.A. Brouwer
                    Meerkoet 20
                    3752ZD Bunschoten
                    Utrecht, The Netherlands

Comment

Originally posted by xs650mike

Really nice SF Dutchy. That was a real find. Won't take much to put that bike in top shape. Wish mine was that nice! Hope that isn't original Bridgestone Mag Mopus rubber on that thing, those tires were awful even when new.
                      Thanks,

I already ordered a new set of tires, I do not trust tires that haven't been treated for the last five years (showing dried out cracks on the side).

Thanks for the info on the steering damper, I'll have a more closer look for yamaha signs. It is always nice to know these little knowworthies.

The Dutchy.

Comment

Yamaha accessories

Thanks for the info on the steering damper, I'll have a more closer look for yamaha signs.
                        Don't know if those steering dampers were actually Yamaha factory parts. Due to dealer demand, Yamaha USA offered a lot of accessories that they had custom made in the US specifically for their various models, such as sissy bars, king & queen seats, luggage racks, turn signal relocation kits for saddlebag mounting and the like.
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X