sounds like

Mark's most XSellent journey.Ride hard Live free
    1982 XJ 1100
    going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
    now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

so jealous...

Enjoy that trip and be safe. I always wanted to head down that way. Some day I'll load up the bike and go for that ride. Enoy that book. I did. Really bugged me that the cover was pink though...

Clark

Comment

since i've been here at the 'bottom' of mexico for a few days, its time to head back up. found a way around the mountains(don't think i can afford to take 2 days doing 250 miles). so i´m heading up 'la costa esmeralda'. bet its so green because of all the hurricane action. let me describe my last evening-dinner was oaxacan steak, quesadillas w/mole, more quesadillas w/ oaxacan cheese, guacamole, 1 chicken enchilada, chorizo, and tortillas for 10$! i then enjoyed a very exciting soccer match on tv, all while sitting outside in the breeze. ahhhhhh. ps- my copy of ´m/c maintenance' is white....mark
        79 xs1100F
        75K and counting...
        76k...
        79k...
        80k...
        86k...

Comment

LOL... Maybe Clark read the female version?? Maybe Mark scored a black market copy there in Meheeco??

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

.. when i was in jail here for a few months back in 1990, i found that book and started to read it. the story about the motorcycle adventures was pretty good, how can anyone not like a story about a man and his son cruising around the country on a 440 LTD, or the part about trying to fix his buddies BMW with the soda can. but when he started writing about the zen parts thats when he started ruining it for me. the words he used were so far to out there that you had to stop and think about the definitions every other word. its like the guy was trying to impress you with how big and strange he could make the next word. so i suffered through the zen parts just to get to the next story about reality and his motorcycle adventure. until the zen parts and the story about Sissyfus or Thorax or what ever his name was out grew the stories i wanted to read, it just messed the story all up. about half way through i had to put the book down, i was getting a headache trying to define all those enormous useless words! .
            .. sorry for the negative statment in an other wise Groovy thread, i just had to put in my oppinion of this book before everyone went out to look for it.
            ..i'm glad you're having fun, i wish i was there, i'm rooting for a great ending to your story
            .Gene

Comment

From what I have read, it sounds like it could end now and be a great story!

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

.. i hope it does'nt end until he gets home

Comment

been riding hard to get home, a couple 11-12 hour days back to back. spent last night in the capitol city of Veracruz. decent hotel right in the heart of the city for 35$. veracruz reminds me of new orleans a bit. more spanish colonial(obviously), on a port, definitely cleaner, but the zocalo looks alot like the french quarter. nice place. ate outside and watched a soccer game. ham torta and pancakes with soda for 4$. listened to mariachi bands, watched dancers in the plaza square. veracruz, the state, is gorgeous. lush, jungle, hilly, cool. nice ride up the gulf coast today, stopping for coconut milk right from the fruit. will visit 'la costa esmeralda' again in the future. cheers, mark
                  79 xs1100F
                  75K and counting...
                  76k...
                  79k...
                  80k...
                  86k...

Comment

Mark,
                    I don't know if you planned on this being a loner trip, but I'm sure with a little warning, you could get others (Namely ME) to tag along for a trip like this next time to 'la costa esmeralda'. Knowing no Spanish at all, there would be no way I could take a trip like this alone. Glad to hear the trip is going well. Good Luck

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100

Comment

well that would explain it

No wonder I couldn't understand a lot of it and had to reread section...Had the womens version... ;-)

Comment

Since Mark is using all these computers down in Mexico, I am surprised he hasn't sent a computer virus like the one I recieved a while back... I thought I might share this Mexican computer virus with all of you!

BUENOS DIAS!

JOU HAVE YUST RECEIVED A MEHICAN BIRUS!!!!! SINCE WE NOT SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ADBANCED IN MEHICO, DIS IS A MANUAL BIRUS. PLEASE DELETE ALL THE FILES ON JOUR HARD DRIVE JOURSELF AND SEND THIS E-MAIL TO EBERYONE JOU KNOW. TAN JU POR YELPING ME.
                        JULIO MANUEL JOSE RODIRGUEZ GARCIA

Scary stuff huh?

Tod

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100

Comment

well, i'm back

got back home tuesday late, after about 12 1/2 hrs in the saddle. 3 days like that in a row and my back's protesting. last day's ride was nice(the first 6 hours, anyway). got an early start, was cool/breezy riding thru farming/ranching communities, no big cities to traverse, and the bike ran like a champ. almost 80k on the big girl now-roughly 3000 mile trip. time to really tear into her and see if i want to keep pushing my luck with this bike, or save it as my classic ride, break down, and buy something new and shiny. only time, and a compression tester, will tell. 'twas an XScellent journey. mark ps-after i (learn to)upload the pics from my camera, i'll post a link. cheers.
                          79 xs1100F
                          75K and counting...
                          76k...
                          79k...
                          80k...
                          86k...

Comment

Welcome Home

Glad to see that everything turned out ok. Keep the old girl, seems like she's been pretty good to you'

Comment

oh, she's a keeper alright. i just need to decide if i continue to roadtrip on her or a newer model. 2 bikes ain't against the rules.
                              79 xs1100F
                              75K and counting...
                              76k...
                              79k...
                              80k...
                              86k...

Comment

Working...
                              X