and i'm off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• and i'm off...

...on the bike to oaxaca, mexico, and all points in between. bike is tuned, toight like toiger, pointed towards puerto escondido(google it!). i'll be checking in from time to time, as cyber cafes are all the rage in mexico. send me all your positive thoughts/prayers, i'll take all the luck i can get. may the force be with me, mark.
    79 xs1100F
    75K and counting...
    76k...
    79k...
    80k...
    86k...

Hope you take lots of pics!! Remember...they don't serve water in shot glasses!
    Hi...my name is Mike, and I'm a lane-splitter.
    '80 XS1100SG (mine)
    '87 CMX450C Rebel (daughter's first bike)

Comment

Good luck on your journey. You are a brave soul to go it alone on an old bike. I hope you have a Gremiln (or Federales) bell to ward off evil spirits and corrupt soldiers and cops.

Comment

greetings from Armas, Taumalipas. hard ride today, the coast blows a hard wind this way, plus i got a late start. all`s well(except this friggin mexican keyboard) cos i just ate-6 steak tacos and a coke for 2.50!!!!! how does homer say it? mmmmmm, bacteria....anyway, the scenery got pretty after a while, its real nice now-hilly, green, high 70's, palm trees dotting the otherwise ranching landscape. looking forward to seeing the ocean tmw(gulf coast). should be nice. wish me well, mark
        79 xs1100F
        75K and counting...
        76k...
        79k...
        80k...
        86k...

Comment

Good luck Marc. Don't drink any tap water. I'm sure restrooms are few and far between.

Comment

Hey there Marc,

Great to hear you've made it thus far. It's not just the water, but the ICE you have to watch out for as well. Bottled beverages are good, hopefully they are PRECHILLED, just drink them straight from the bottle....we don't need no stinkin' glasses!!

Can't wait to see the photos and hear the ride report, have fun,
            ARRIBA, Andole`, yeeehaaa!!! in my best speedy Gonzalez voice!
            T.C.

On a side note, this is my "Tres Mil" post!!
            That's 3000 for you gringos!
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

3K Posts!

That's a bunch o' typin'. Are your index fingers worn down to the second knuckle yet? I'm second on the posts list, but over 500 fewer than you. I've had to start typin' with my middle fingers, 'cause they ain't nuttin' left to ma other ones. Wow, I just realized that if I don't correct my typos, then that'll save me at least 2 minutes, and 10 key strokes per post.

Comment

Typing for Dummies!

Hey John,

Nawwww, I use ALL of my fingers, so the pressure and wear is more evenly distributed, but I have to say I haven't had to trim my fingernails in quite a long time! Yeah, with all of that time off I thought for sure that you'd catch up to me!! I guess I'm just a better BS'er than you!! I'll be not on as frequently once the weather gets a bit warmer, have already started several of my Godzilla projects, but many more to do!

Not wanting to hijack this thread anymore, Marc, have another 'servosa' for me!!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

ahhhh, oaxaca(say wah HAH cah). i´m in the mountains(ixtlan de juarez), having crossed an 11000 foot peak yesterday. took me 3 1-2 hours to do, and i wound up the last hour in the dark. in mexico. on a road torn up by landslides. with cows everywhere. one of the stupider things ive done in recent memory. anyhoo, i´ve never done deals gap, but i´m sure this road has it beat. 50 miles just to the peak, and i averaged maybe 20 mph. the way up is smooth riding. curves like u wouldnt believe. was awesome. should arrive at the beach today. wish me luck, mark
                  79 xs1100F
                  75K and counting...
                  76k...
                  79k...
                  80k...
                  86k...

Comment

Good luck! Wish I was there.

LP
                    If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                    (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Mark,

Glad to hear all is well. Your trip sounds like something I would love to do. I don't have enough miles on mine to trust it to make a trip like that, but I may take it to Omaha in the next few weeks. I didn't see you say anything more about your seal leaking, which I am taking to mean that all is well. Just remember to keep that life-blood (Oil) changed. I need to learn a little Spanish so I can make a trip like that sometime. Crap.... I need to learn a little Spanish just to be able to talk to many of the people HERE!!
                      So what are you running into as far as the price of fuel? With only a 100 mile or so safe range for me, I would definately have some sort of backup tank with me. Just remember to come home. You get to the ocean, you may be tempted to swap your ride for some Margarittas and flip flopps... live Jimmy Buffet style for a while. Good luck and hope to hear from you soon.

Tod
                      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100
                      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

greetings from huatulco(wah TOOL coh), on the pacific coast. the ocean is beyoootiful....its quiet, too..too remote to attract any spring breaker-types. had to cross another mountain pass yesterday. took me 4 hrs to go 100 miles. curves, anyone? yes, the bike is oiltight and running like a champ(knocking on wood now). gas appears to be costing about as much here as in TX, tho its hard to figure, since its measured in liters and sold in pesos. also getting 150/160 miles before reserve, which is waayy after my butt cries uncle on these roads. will check in soon, mark
                        79 xs1100F
                        75K and counting...
                        76k...
                        79k...
                        80k...
                        86k...

Comment

Cool! Keep us posted!
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Sometimes I get gobsmacked by technology. I'm sat at work (lunchbreak) in the UK reading an American Forum about a guy making a trip to Mexico.
                            WOW!

Not only gobsmacked but insanely jealous
                            Triking - it's a way of life!

www.trikenest.co.uk

Comment

let me describe huatulco a bit, cos i've decided to stay another day here. its like what i imagine the french riviera is like-all scooters, sun, and sand. my hotel looks like something from the mediterranean-all white and built on a cliff that leads to the bay. i went to a secluded beach today. it was almost a mile long, and i think i saw 10 people. after burning my feet(top and bottom, smoking hot sand), i chilled at the outdoor restaurant, drinking limonada and eating fried shrimp with lime and salsa. every day i read on the balcony while a cool breeze blows in from the bay. i finally started 'zen and the art of m/c maintenance'. cool book. oh yeah, this morning i ate bfast in the plaza-egs, chorizo, tortillas, black beans w/ oaxacan cheese, mango, cantalope, bananas, orange juice, and pancakes for 5 BUCKS!!!!!!!!! i'm smug as a bug. i almost hate myself, i'm jealous of me..cheers, mark
                              79 xs1100F
                              75K and counting...
                              76k...
                              79k...
                              80k...
                              86k...

Comment

Working...
                              X