No announcement yet.

What kind of dogs do XS owners have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We currently have MJ who is an ex-show dog brindle Bullmastiff. Lots of puppy still in him. He is the first of three Bullmastiffs we have not been able to train to the point where he can have the run of the house. So, he has to stay outside during the day. (Refuses to use the new doghouse I bought him.) He's very strong and very strong-minded. Craves attention but will leave me alone when I'm working at home. He has social issues with other dogs. He's friendly but plays a little too rough, especially if the other dog wants to be aggressive. (A chihuahua did not survive the encounter.) Consequently, MJ is in solitary confinement. Walks are late night to avoid meeting ather dogs. I'm getting a security screen door for the front of the house 'cause teh aluminum one just won't hold him. He's a very friendly dog when properly introduced and very protective when not. I like that, true to his breed, you only get one warning bark. Our previous two Bullmastiffs both left us early, one had to be put down due to cancer (Hobbes) and one suffered a heart attack (Winston). I miss them both, but MJ and I are tolerating each other OK. We only got him at Thanksgiving and I am hopeful that as he matures he'll learn not to tear the back screen out of its tracks, or the flap off the dog door so I can reinstall it. The good news is that he has stopped chewing glasses, remote controls and CD cases. He did recently turn a soda can into aluminum foil. Oh yes, and he likes to surf the kitchen counters for whatever he can reach, especially tomatoes and bananas.

He's knee high or better ( I don't have to bend to pet his head), 122 lbs. and invisible in the dark. Thankfully, he doesn't fart as much as his predecessors.

Ralph

Comment

• Wow..

Sounds like a wonderful dog.... reminds me of one of our dogs Mayzie. She is very strong minded and has the run of the house. Our male dog Teezer just lets her have her way. Mayzie is quiet but her bark rumbles the floor when she gives her warning. Teezer is quiet and never barks, he is the one that waits behind the door when I answer it. I remember the Fedex man offering to bring a package inside for me once because it was so heavy and was stopped in his tracks when he realized Teezer was standing at the door. He said I didn't even know there was a dog there, I told him thats the idea.
      When our son's friends come over to stay a couple told us that Teezer was right behind them when they got up to get something to drink or eat and they didn't even hear him there but realized it when they turned on the light. They were like, we don't know where he came from and how long he was there. LOL
      They are both such friendly dogs and wonderful around the little kids ... but they are very protective.

Comment

• I've got a 205 lb English Mastiff that's going to turn two next week. Biggest chicken of a dog I ever owned. Had a 10 lb Bichon Frise as well but when my wife went back to work he started wizzing everywhere in the house so now he's living with a retired couple.

I have a cat too, but we don't see her much.

Comment

• I'm the proud companion to a 9 year old hound-mutt name of Maggie. She a little thicker than she used to be (at 85#), and a little slower, but she can still sniff food out at 100 yards.

her and the 3 barn kittens I picked up this spring. Thought they were all boys so I named them Doug, Steve, and Randy. Turns out Doug is a girl.
          81 Standard "Babe the Blue"
          sticky side down!

Comment

• too funny ... Doug is a girl

Yeah ... I hear ya on the large dog.... both of ours are #100's each and they think they are lap dogs.
            Funny how they will run and almost knock us down when they are happy to see us but if a little child is in the room they are as gentle as can be. They turn into big babies!

Comment

• ROCKY, RED BONE HOUND, OWNS HOUSE MORE THEN WE DO.TRYING FOR FIND A WAY TO RIDE XS WITH ME. WRONG!!!!
              BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

• ROCKY, RED BONE HOUND, OWNS HOUSE MORE THEN WE DO.TRYING FOR FIND A WAY TO RIDE XS WITH ME. WRONG!!!!
                BOYZSBLUE [ LEON ]

1980-XS1100SG

BOYZSBLUE@HOTMAIL.COM

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonrider
                  (snip)
                  I'll see you on the other side...
                  (endsnip)

See the link...

44 Miles...A Last Ride...
                  I'm late reading-up on this thread. Just after Dan posted this I took my cat to the vet for the last time. Gremlin was 16 years old, very loving, and loved to hunt and explore with me.
                  Got to where her back legs just didn't work anymore. Couldn't even scratch her itches. Her mind was still sharp as ever.
                  I held her as the vet gave her the shot. He advised against it as they sometimes 'struggle' as the shot takes effect. She died peacefully looking into my eyes. I'd like to think she was thanking me, I sure was thanking her.
                  Pat Kelly
                  <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                  1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                  2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                  1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                  1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                  1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• XSing the hound

Hi Boyzblue,
                    SCT list is full of folks who's main reason for attaching a sidecar is to take their dogs for rides. (well, there's tank bags for toy dogs, pillion trays for medium dogs and Norm Pottruff's toy poodle liked to ride stuffed in the front of Norm's riding jacket) but the only way to carry a redbone hound is in a sidecar.
                    So go for it! XS11 don't handle for squat anyway.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

• When I lived in San Diego we had a neighbor with a cat that liked to ride. I had a Suzuki TS185 (2 stroke) with a very loud exhaust. When I'd come home the cat would jump up to my shoulderswith the bike running. I would putt up and down the street and the cat seemed to like it. I finally bungied a 1' x 2' swatch of carpet to my gastank and the cat would hang-on there, firmly attached to the carpet. I'd ride all over the place with the neighbors goofy cat on the bike.
                      Pat Kelly
                      <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                      1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                      2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                      1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                      1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                      1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

• Popular fellow...

As you see, I'm a pretty popular fellow around here...

You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat Kelly
                          When I lived in San Diego we had a neighbor with a cat that liked to ride....
                          I had one of those.... The Bet

Wrote that incident up at the urgings of this forum as a matter of fact...started me down the, "Hey I think maybe I'll publish a book." path...
                          CUAgain,
                          Daniel Meyer
                          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
                          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

• My dog is pitbull And lab,Very mellow

Comment

• Originally posted by Dragonrider
                              ..started me down the, "Hey I think maybe I'll publish a book." path...
                              And I'm glad that you went that way, Daniel. I'm pretty sure I can say I've read every one of your posts as they came along. I've also passed more than a few on to friends who were in a particular point in their lives when your posts exactly fit the situations they were dealing with.

Keep 'em coming...

But, back to the topic of the thread, here's a shot of one of our 'boys' basking in the sun on the couch:

Obiwan and his brother Orion are purebred Chartreux. These days, Obi is running pretty close to 18 pounds.
                              Ken Talbot

Comment

• Cats don't have bellies, they have solar panels
                                Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                                78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                                02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
                                X