No announcement yet.

got another xs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the fairing with the headlight stays still and the part with the wind shield is connected to the top of the forks so that turnes rather cleaver i think,as to the gear linkage that is standard fitment i only ever see it on the black engine models.

Comment

After looking at it closer, I'd say they put the small arm (on the shifter spline) on upside down in order not to change the pattern.

A couple of the people I know with crotch rockets around here also race them. They set up their shifters with a linkage like that in order to reverse the shifting pattern. They've told me it works better for racing. Something about it being easier to press down on the shifter (to go up a gear) instead of up when running a low left-side turn.

Still a great looking bike! I don't imagine you'll be racing it much, eh?
      80 XS1100SG
      81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

My old Matchlesses (Matchli?) had a reverse pattern and on the right side too. I liked it once I got used to it. Funny thing was that guys that raced Nortons (which used the same AMC gearbox) would mount rearsets and reverse the lever giving a normal shift pattern! I don't think it matters much, it's all about what you're used to. I rode Brit bikes so long that I had trouble getting used to a left side shift and right side brake especially since I use my left foot to brake on auto trans cars.

That is one beautiful bike!
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

took it out last night to a local bike meet not that many there but did get a lot of interest,the gears are still 1 down and thet rest up

Comment

That reminds me of the first automatic tranny car that I bought after 15 years of 5-speeds. On the way home from the dealer, I nearly launched SWMBO through the windshield as I slammed down the clutch with my left foot, which, as you know, doubles as a brake pedal on automatics...
            "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

R-W-B

Actually, the Martini XS1100's were painted in Martini Racing colours not the Red, White & Blue of the British flag. Martini Racing was a marketing vehicle for Martini drinks and still race today.

Here's the Martini Racing colour scheme

They mostly did racing cars, here's their racing Porche.

You can check out more info on Martini Racing on their (very flash) website - click here
              Brian
              XS1100 LG "Mr T", SG "ICBM" & FJ1200
              Check out the XS Part Number Finder

Be not stingy in what costs nothing as courtesy, counsel and countenance.

Comment

Nice bike..great find!!

Great post actually, I learned something from it. Enjoy the new scooter
                Gary Granger
                Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Very nice bike!
                  The shifter linkage is standard on the european "standard" (not specials) 11's.
                  It puts the footpegs about an inch back.
                  XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

well i had to get a valuation for the bike from my insurance,and they came back with a value of £4500 sterling i was well happy with that but don`t know what that would be in us doller`s.

Comment

That would be about $8,000.00 US. I know you paid less than that for it.
                      Enjoy the ride, looks like a great bike.
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

As much as I hate seeing a Pom do well, well done mate, she's a pearler and please keep it stock.

Dan
                        Automotive Imbecile.
                        Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                        '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                        1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Working...
                        X