finally-1st ride-a keeper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• finally-1st ride-a keeper

rescued my xj from the basement of a mower/cycle shop(they work on probably 5 cycles a year) was at back wall with 300 mowers in the way! paid more than i should-685 including delivery.
    didn't run-carbs hanging by cable-calipers hanging by tie-wraps-and in daylight i realized it sure looked a lot better in the basement. all loose parts were in bags. had it for about 2 1/2 months steady massaging it-thought story of doing carbs 3 times was crazy-found out it was true! rebuilt calipers and cleaned master cylinder- adjusted valves,changed oil and filter. checked all fluids and every bolt on it- found out front axle pinch bolt didn't have a nut on it-also would rev to 3000 rpms- turning to right would have made 1st trip interesting.
    so i rode it for the 1st time today- had a 85 shadow befor this one and i love this bike-didn't plan on keeping it- but i am hooked- i see why people appreciate theses bikes. just thought i would share this- thanks, xj guy for sure!

Way to GO! funny about little things like axle pinch-bolts!

And plenty ridin' time left this year, all right.
    Mike * Seattle * 82 F'n'XJ1100 *

Comment

Maybe you paid more than you could have, but the extra couple of hundred isn't too significant with the coming new tires, SS brakelines, you do have a Tkat forkbrace don't you?, what about individual filters and a full drawer of jets Progressive springs, and how's that exhaust looking? Now if you didn't get two sidecovers, that was a mistake.

Rock and roll!
      David Browne
      XS11SG Crunchbird
      XS500E

Comment

got all i need-bike was complete just in a few pieces- what i thought was wrong with it was what was wrong with it. i have been very fortunate at evaluating dead bikes-i don't get excited when ic heck them out and i am always willing to walk away for awhile and wait- fork brace might be nice tho-i think i'll see if i can make one-ever seen a yellow xj with red flames?

Comment

By the sound of your first post here you have already gotten your 680 some bucks out of it,,,,,I know some folks who have payed 7-8 grand for a bike and a week later were wishing they never bought it,,,lol,,,,,your hooked has got to be worth 600,,,,,,,Ride on Man,,
          Ken Krieger
          Chesterfield, Va.
          81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
          82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
          82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
          79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
          1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
          85 XJ700 Maxim
          06 VMax - Black Max
          85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

ken, let me know if you wanna get rid of that bucket of bolts!!!!!!!!!!!!!

xjguy and the cycle named "gone with the wind"

Comment

Working...
            X