Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming soon to a theater near you

Cam color even matches the 80G
    Gave it a small test ride to day around the shop.
    Works!
    Now need weather to cooperate

mro

Hey there MRO,

Looks like you've attached it to lower fork tube, one of the more vibrating parts on the bike, especially once you get going down the road. You could end up damaging your stabilizing circuit inside the camera?? You might want to rethink mounting it a little further back on the frame, or up on the handlebars instead.

I did that a few years ago for the Ga. TWO rally. If you'll PM me your snail addy, I'll get a copy of the DVD I made off to you. I've already got one promised to LoserShoes/Steve for the 256MB ram chip he sent me(MUCHOS GRACIOUS!!)

With it on the bars, it will still follow the steering direction, and it's not to much more above that line, still looks pretty good footage wise. A lower frame mounting would get that closer to the ground affect, and would isolate it much better from the road vibrations! Good Luck!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Looks like you've attached it to lower fork tube

Look at right turn signal mount, notice no chrome showing where bolts are? Mounted there. One inch angle iron about 8 inches long, welded small plate to angle iron to move it right to clear fork cap. Bottom of angle iron has 2 1/2 wide by 7 inch plate welded parallel to ground. 1/8 inch rubber gasket material stuck to top of plate, hole in plate for camera tri-pod bolt.

Took it out on the street today. Seems to work pretty good.
      Little boring viewing buildings and cages though.
      Can remove/install in about 60 seconds.

Had thought about mounting to fork brace, but then thought about how much I seem to find pot holes

mro

btw
      Plan to test out on either Niles Canyon or Redwood road.

Comment

Okay,

That sounds and looks like a much better and sturdier mount! However, I wouldn't rely on just the Tripod mounting screw to keep it secured! I had mine mounted on similar type design, large plate on bottom, several thick rubber "buttons" for cushion. The tripod screw got pulled partly out of the camera case during a rather rough stretch of road. I used some flat stretch cord to add more security to the mounting of the camera to the holder!

Yeah, local roads are rather boring, but once you get into some twisties, you'll have a bit more fun watching the playback! You may also notice that you may not get good engine sounds at higher speeds due to the wind buffeting past the condensor microphone?! After I mounted mine BEHIND the windshield, the audio quality greatly improved and added to the enjoyment of viewing. You might want to think about adding a plexiglass or Lexan mini shield to your rig, both for wind and also rock/bug protection of the lens!?

I didn't see any PM from you, guess you don't want to see my handy video work!? I've already got LoserShoes DVD packaged up and ready to post tomorrow!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hey there, thanks. Can we assume you have your dvd progam working ok now?

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

Hi TC

Will see if I have some plastic for a shield. Should be easy enough to attach. Glad you mentioned the tri-pod bolt. Looked at mine and it is one of those cheepy "nut serts" attched to plastic only.

Will have to figure out extra bracket to secure cam in place and use tri-pod bolt mostly for position.

Did think about mounting on handle bars, but this only took about 20 minutes to make. If proves fun, might consider mounting my other cam on bars (not willing to risk it now)

Sent PM

Thanks TC

mro

Comment

bungee cords

all we used in our demolition derby cars,can't get much rougher that that....lol
              1982 XJ 1100
              going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
              now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

Coming soon to a theater near you, Part Two

Tested out cam today
                Ran up Niles Canyon, (lot of cages though)
                Turned around at Sunol, headed back down canyon.
                Turned off at Palomares rd., (closest "real twisty" to me).
                Road loaded w/gravel/wet/leaves/ sh!% etc..
                Only went up a few miles and turned around back to Niles.

Cam works OK
                Might have to start XSive Productions

mro
                becoming XSive
                80G, reg. ride w/cam
                80LG, MNS (missing in action)

Comment

bungee cords

bungee cords rule!!!

that and a piece of rubber

rubbers???
                  Oh well, it's PC now

mro

Comment

MRO....... Alum Rock Rd. east of San Jose. Make those watching the video puke from vertigo. East side of Mt Hamilton is worse, hairpins so tight you see your own taillight.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

mro,
                      You can alway's try down my direction. I know a few roads, some smooth, some VERY bad, and mostly bicycles with a few cars...
                      Ray
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

When weather/time permit we need to get together for a ride.
                        Look good having Pat & Ray 1100's out front for a video.

Also I need to recheck my valve adjustment
                        Little ride to test cam was only 48 miles. When I got back to shop noticed it was making more noise than when I left and idle went up to about 1800

Little more tuning inorder

mro
                        Happy Holidays etc.......

Comment

neat idea might look into doing something like that on my bike even thought we aint got no twistes around here but it would be fun at the drag strip
                          79 yamaha xs1100f standard
                          best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Working...
                          X