gas tank help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas tank help

ok here goes guys i was out working on the bike this weekend making sure it would start and run since i aint got a garage and it has been cold and snowing out but the bike is under a cover, but my problem is the cover was not on for a week and it snowed and my gas tank lid had water in it and when i opened it to see how much fuel was in it there was water in there too so i think the fuel got water in it but i got some stuff put in it and some seafoam to clean the carbs and the fuel sytem and the engine out and i put some 94 octane in the tank and this summer when i get it out i am going to go put some 104 octane in it, but my main question is is there anyway to keep water or over spilled fuel from pilling up under the gas tank lid

the bike is under a cover now and it ran great so i am just waiting tell spring time now to ride
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

There should be a drain from under the fuel lid (in the recessed area) that is a tube that goes inside the tank and out the nipple at the back of the tank (under the seat).
    Could be this drain tube is clogged.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

thanks pat i will have to look into the when i take the lid off for paint how would you replace that line if it is clogged

Comment

did you get all the water out?

if water out, add stabilizer to gas
        run engine for short time to get stabilizer in to carbs

or park in living room

mro

Comment

Bandet01,
          If you pull the seat, you will see a tube on the back of the tank. This is the drain from around the fill cap, and drains the water to the bottom of the bike. I have a bike that was parked for 10 years, and the drain is still working. Unless you have a LOT of rust around the tank, your drain should still be working.
          An easy check is take some warm water( because it's cold up there) and pour it slowly over the gas cap. You should see the water come out on the bottom of the bike, about at the center stand.
          Ray
          Ray Matteis
          KE6NHG
          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

An easy check

If seat off

why not just blow through other end of hose to see if clear?

btw
            is your tranny fixable with the grinding etc. I read in other posts?

Comment

DriverRay

btw
              is your tranny fixable with the grinding etc. I read in other posts?

need place brain in gear before typing

mro

Comment

ok i will have to try that next time i work on the bike and see if it is clogged or not and pour some water down it and hope it aint and i did put some iso heet in it and some seafoam and some 94 octane fuel in the bike and let it run for a half hour so this spring i am going to go run the bag off it ang then put some 104 octane in it and run that and then from there on out put 93 or 94 octane in it

Comment

mro;
                  My trans may be repairable, but it's getting BAD. I've ordered a trans from Andreas, and three gears from Yamaha. I think my project bike also has a bad transmission, so I want spare parts. I plan on putting in the parts starting on the 30th of December. I will be checking gears, and doing any needed grinding.
                  Ray
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG
                  XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                  XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Working...
                  X