How many mechs here? Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many mechs here? Poll

How many of us/you are or have been a mechanic, as a profession?
    I have been getting paid to twist a wrench on airline ground support equipment since '77.
    Yes, still work as a mech
    19.75%
    Yes, but in another line of work now
    29.30%
    No, I've never been a mech as a profession.
    31.85%
    No, but I play one here.
    19.11%

How 'bout...

After you do the poll, you give a little description of what you work on?

Comment

.. i have been a motorcycle mechanic since 96. the pay is not great but the experiance is priceless
      but sometimes
      i wish i was still a drywall hanger, the pay was way better and i was the boss
      .. after working on everyone elses sh!t all day every day it's hard to go out in the garage and work on my own bikes.
      i guess it would be the same if i worked in an icecream shop.
      ..i wonder if it would be the same if i worked at a t!tty bar?!
      but i love t!tties, i wont make that hobby into my job.
      hmmmm, but just what experiances would one have working at a t!tty bar?. or maybe a gynecologist

Comment

What do you consider a mech, because I'm a mechanic in my trade as a carpenter?
        Ralph

Comment

Mech

I worked with my Dad (REO truck mechanic) when I was a kid. Then I got and Associate degree in Automotive Technology and worked as a SAAB tech for quite a few years. Then I started teaching auto mech at the high school and college level, while working in an import shop evenings.
          For the last 20 years I have been a Technical Trainer for Mercedes-Benz of North America. I still get to work with cars, but not exactly on them.
          Walt
          80 XS11s - "Landshark"
          79 XS11s
          03 Valkyrie
          80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
          78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
          81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Built and raced stock cars for a few years. Spent a few years in the Mechanized Infantry... does that count? (Why walk when you can ride... Why fight when you can hide) That wasn't abusive enough for my body, so I decided to punish myself further in the Light Infantry.
            Retired, went to Motorcycle/small engine school... and here I are.
            Working at a Ye Olde Kawasaki Shoppe.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Usta wrench on boats. I have gotten use to haveing all the skin on my knuckles and all my finger nails the same color . So now what do I do, wrench on my own bike and boat!! At least I don't have a service manager breathing down my neck.
              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I'm just a shadetree mechanic, had 1 semester of auto shop in highschool, then cut my teeth on my old 69 firebird, learning how to do basic tuneups, and minor repairs, and then more major repairs, into a complete engine rebuild, also helped friend rebuild a 4 cyl. Nissan, another friends Dodge V-8, and the topend big bore kit on my XS11, plus other little things!
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

My formal qualifications also amount to one semester of power mechanics in junior high school, and that was 35 or so years ago. As a career public servant, wrenching has always been a sideline, but I've managed to pick one or two things over the years....
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

I worked off and on, when I was younger, as an auto mechanic but ended up as an auto body tech. Then I got a wild hair and decided to be an airframe and power plant tech. Three years later, with a new mechanics certificate and a FCC General Radiotelephone Certificate (spent 1 of the 3 years in avionics classes) I went to work as a Rig Electrician on an offshore oil rig. The money was a H--L of a lot better than any I could earn as a aircraft mechanic. And I only worked 2 weeks on with 2 weeks off.

Now, all I 'mechanic' on is my XJ, my oldest boys Virago and our Subaru.

Louis.
                    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                    '82 XJ1100J
                    LED Dir and running lights
                    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                    Modulated H/L
                    PIAA Driving lights
                    YICS Eliminated
                    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

learned to wrench with my dad.one of the very few things he taught me.have been wrenching full time for the last 15 yrs. work in a full service gas station. you name it we have probrably worked on it. we do it all.just today did a clutch on a subaru, and a heater box on a ford explorer. o what fun!
                      when you want something bad enough, don't let anything stand in your way, and don't take "no" for an answer. EVER

graybird78
                      80 sg (old faithfull)

Comment

I've been a toolmaker/machinist for 28 years
                        grew up in the country, working on my own cars and truck & bikes

does that qualify?
                        http://home.securespeed.us/~xswilly/
                        78E main ride, since birth the "good"
                        78E Parts, the "bad" fixing up now
                        78E Parts the "ugly" maybe next year
                        79F Parts
                        80G Parts
                        75 DT 400B enduro

Comment

Do I need to elaborate?

(Heavy jet transports)
                          Marty (in Mississippi)
                          XS1100SG
                          XS650SK
                          XS650SH
                          XS650G
                          XS6502F
                          XS650E

Comment

My dad and grandfather were both mechanics. I went to Arizona Automotive Institute in the early '70's. I worked at gas stations and a transmission shop. When I got out of the army in '75, I worked as a truck driver, and as a parts person. I worked for a Yamaha dealer in late '78 and '79. I did a LOT of work on my own XS1100 at the time.
                            I now work in the electronics industry, but I supported myself and my son as a mechanic for two years while "unemployed" after the Telco meltdown cost me my field seervice engineer job.
                            Ray
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG
                            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

not a tech but...

I was a service manager/writer for a little while. When things got slow I would turn wrenches too. Webb...Try having the owner breathing down yer neck. Fortunately we all got along. I just couldn't handle being behind a desk all day. Now I get to haul a Nascar car around for show, and work on it when things break. Professional mechanic really just means you get paid for doing it.
                              "If it weren't for a budget I'd be bored."

Thom
                              79 xs11sf - Rented Mule
                              80 xs11sg
                              81 sr250t- sold to Pain

Comment

Working...
                              X