a/c compressor noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a/c compressor noise

This is a 91 Z28. a/c compressor started making this noise only when clutch is engaged. And it starts smoking. If I shut the a/c off it doesn't make any noise. I can't tell exactly where the smoke is coming from. It makes cold air. I can't get the video to load here go to my FB. What is bad? The clutch? The compressor? Both? Ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.sisler.5/
    79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
    79 SF parts bike.

Originally posted by red bandit View Post
    This is a 91 Z28. a/c compressor started making this noise only when clutch is engaged. And it starts smoking. If I shut the a/c off it doesn't make any noise. I can't tell exactly where the smoke is coming from. It makes cold air. I can't get the video to load here go to my FB. What is bad? The clutch? The compressor? Both? Ideas.

https://www.facebook.com/jim.sisler.5/
    Jim... went to your facebook page and there is no video. I suspect that if you did post it you did not make it public.
    2 - 80 LGs bought one new
    81 LH
    02 FXSTB Nighttrain
    22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
    Jim

Comment

Most likely the clutch needs rebuilt. I have had a Jeep's AC compressor SCREAMING but I was able to find a rebuild kit. About an hour is all it took to replace the clutch and wire it in.
      1980 XS1100G "Dolly G" Full Dresser (with a coat of many colors )
      1979 XS1100SF (stock-euro mods planned)
      1984 XV700L Virago (to be hot-modded)
      1983 XJ750MK Midnight Maxim (semi-restored DD)
      1977 XS650D ( patiently awaiting resto)

Sometimes it takes a whole tank of gas before you can think straight.

Comment

You should be able to view it now. I'm guessing it's just the clutch. With the belt off the pulley spins free & I can turn the compressor easily. If it's just the clutch would you replace the coil also?
        Last edited by red bandit; 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM.
        79 F full cruiser, stainless brake lines, spade fuses, Accel coils, modded air box w/larger velocity stacks, 750 FD.
        79 SF parts bike.

Comment

You should be able to view it now. I'm guessing it's just the clutch. With the belt off the pulley spins free & I can turn the compressor easily. If it's just the clutch would you replace the coil also?
          I think it's the pulley bearing that has or is going bad. Here is a youtube video addressing your problem on another type of vehicle. Noise is the same though. AC Clutch Repair and Noise Diagnosis -EricTheCarGuy - YouTubeh.
          81 LH
          02 FXSTB Nighttrain
          Jim

Comment

If it was the pulley bearing wouldn't it make noise with the a/c on AND off? And how would that make smoke? I know in the video it sounds like a bearing but in reality is sounds more like clutch chatter but I don't know?? Anyway, would you replace the coil if you are replacing the clutch?
            79 SF parts bike.

Comment

If it was the pulley bearing wouldn't it make noise with the a/c on AND off? And how would that make smoke? I know in the video it sounds like a bearing but in reality is sounds more like clutch chatter but I don't know?? Anyway, would you replace the coil if you are replacing the clutch?
              You will not know for sure until you disassemble it.
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              Jim

Comment

I removed the old a/c clutch today. The matting surfaces were very rough. Everything was dry. So I put the new clutch w/ coil on today & ran it with a/c on max & fan on high for about 25 minutes and everything was quiet and it was blowing ice cold air. "smiles". Time will tell. But it looks like it's fixed. It rained last night so my road is mud otherwise I would have taken it for a ride. Maybe tomorrow. Thanks for the help.
                79 SF parts bike.

Comment

Working...
                X