X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks gents.
    Steve R

'80 SG
    "Fred" -- TC fuse box, stock airbox/exhaust/jets, SS brake lines, Windjammer V fairing, Cibie headlight lens, TKAT fork brace, Showa rear shocks, MikesXS emulators

Former bikes:

1973 Yamaha 125 Enduro (brother's but I 'borrowed' it a lot, usually after midnight)
    1978 XS400E Red
    1981 XS850 Special (Stingo)

Comment

Got the petcocks rebuilt, used a kit from Ebay that is sold for the XZ550 Vision. It worked fine, but had to buy the filters separately.
      Also got a Saddleman replacement seat cover on EvilBay. It was ok, but a very tight fit. A few of the metal tabs on the seat pan broke off so had to use some pop rivets and washers to hold the seat cover on in those areas.
      Last edited by tntmo; 08-01-2021, 06:53 PM.

Comment

Ran a compression check, all were close to 125 psi. Checked the valve clearance, #1 exhaust was just below tolerance so adjusted it. Installed automatic tensioner from a VSTAR 650.

Replaced some of the carburetor shaft seals, couldn’t get the screws out of some of the butterflies. Got new fuel lines installed and hooked up the “octopus”.

The bike is running pretty good but still is hanging on deceleration, slow to return to idle. It’s synchronized as well as we can get it.

Last few things to do are get the speedometer working and figure out the clutch rattle noise. It rides pretty nicely as it is now.
        Last edited by tntmo; 08-01-2021, 06:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tntmo View Post
          Replaced some of the carburetor shaft seals, couldn’t get the screws out of some of the butterflies.
          You really need to use a JIS screwdriver with a serrated tip to properly remove and tighten the throttle shaft screws.

Probably the reason for the idle hanging is the throttle plates you did remove are not perfectly centered. To center them, loosen the two screws and open the throttle and let it snap shut, doing this two or 3 times and then tightening the screws will properly align them.
          Last edited by bikerphil; 08-01-2021, 08:59 PM.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have a nice Vessel JIS screwdriver set. The screws were just not budging and rounded out a bit. I quit before they got too bad, but don't know if they will be coming off or not.

The throttle plates sure seem to be just fine, the carbs are smooth and crisp in operation. Nothing mechanical is keeping them from closing. The next time I take the bank of carbs off I can check that out but I'm doubtful that it's the issue.

Anyway, the bike is coming around and is almost ready to hit the road for some good shakedown miles.

Comment

Originally posted by tntmo View Post
              I have a nice Vessel JIS screwdriver set. The screws were just not budging and rounded out a bit. I quit before they got too bad, but don't know if they will be coming off or not.

The throttle plates sure seem to be just fine, the carbs are smooth and crisp in operation. Nothing mechanical is keeping them from closing. The next time I take the bank of carbs off I can check that out but I'm doubtful that it's the issue.

Anyway, the bike is coming around and is almost ready to hit the road for some good shakedown miles.
              I take a very light tac hammer and lightly tap on the end of the JIS screwdriver to make sure it is seated in the screw. I then ... and this may sound stupid ... but I start out by slightly tightening the screw in the seat to break the seal then I remove the screw. I have only had to drill out a couple and I have done many. I polish the throttle plates with 000 steel wool and take the original screws and seat them back with blue Loctite after replacing the shaft seals. What Phil said about letting the carbs snap back shut is key to getting the plates centered. I learned that the hard way on a set of carbs I was restoring. Took a while to figure out that I had one plate slightly catching open. Hope you figure everything out and get the bike back on the road.
              2 - 80 LGs bought one new
              81 LH
              02 FXSTB Nighttrain
              22 FLTRK Road Glide Limited
              Jim

Comment

Originally posted by cajun31 View Post
                letting the carbs snap back shut is key
                You got that right brother. Learned the hard way too.

2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yeah, I tried the tapping them, very lightly tightening them, etc. I even put some valve lapping compound on the tip of the JIS screwdriver but they just started to get messed up. I will put some localized heat on them next time, maybe use the soldering iron and see if I can get them out. I feel pretty confident that the butterfly is properly installed, I lightly installed both screws and cycled it through a few times gently tightening up the screws. I didn't let it snap like you posted, but it was working very smooth.

Today I checked out all the speedometers I have, the original 85 mph one is looking kind of beat and when I hooked it up to my drill it was making a nice screeching noise. The one on the bike is a 160 mph one, it didn't work the first few test rides but now it's kind of working, but it goes up to speed slowly and it takes a second or two to drop down to zero. I have another 160 mph speedometer, that one seemed to work find so I popped it on.

I did a test up and down the street and it's nice, but now the headlight indicator is on! Haha, always something. I will pull the headlight off again and make sure I didn't disturb some wires or something.

Comment

Working...
                  X