Anyone used m-unit for rewire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone used m-unit for rewire?

Starting to plan out rewiring my 1980 XS11 - was considering forking out the $$$ for the motogadget m-unit from Revival Cycles in Austin along with their wiring kit - has anyone used one of these on an XS? Recommend/pointers? Thanks!

I wish I had some valuable advice to divulge, I am however amused to find out there is a place here in Austin to turn to if my wiring goes to $#!T.

Peace, Wolf
    80 SG
    81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Comment

wire harness isn't that hard. Hard part is getting the wire colors, but a good local electrical shop can probably sell you the colors and lengths that you need. Geezer at oregonmotorcycleparts has all the connectors and crimps.
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanx DiverRay

I think I am in need of connectors and pins for my Project. It looks like my wire harness does not like the instrument cluster connectors. I am pretty sure they are different model years. The harness is confirmed 1980 SG, Cluster was Ebay purchase.

When I get home I will try to send images of the mismatch.
        80 SG
        81 Midnight Special (R.I.P.)

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_4823.JPG Views:	46 Size:	169.9 KB ID:	865644 The M-unit I mounted on my friend's bike (5K7 Sport) years ago worked with negative pulses only. With that I mean making contact to earth and go back to neutral. Like a horn or starter button. Before I knew that I asked the manufacturer if the system would work with the stock handlebar controls, And he confirmed it would do so.. Well .. it did not.. For example light on/off, low beam, high beam, indicators or brake switches work by making a positive connection and keeping that connection open as long as needed. When testing it we got strange effects like a burning brake light with everything turned off. Seems the system we had could not cope with open connections, not even earh ones, it only accepts negative pulses. Once we knew that we had to change everything to single wiring and pulse switches glued into the electrical handlebar controls. After that everything worked fine. Keep in mind you still need your starter relais and the entire ignition and charging sytem stays separate. That was years ago, I do not know if there are new versions at the moment so you have to make sure exactly how it works and if you have to change your normal controls. When you get it working you will be rewarded with a couple of plusses like alarm, no fuse box needed, small wiring harness, less relais, incorporated programming like indicator time and so on. But make sure you get what you want.. Added is a picture of work in progress...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Mathh; 07-04-2021, 08:42 AM.
          XS1100 3X0 '82 restomod, 2H9 '78 chain drive racer, 3H3 '79 customized.
          MV Agusta Brutale 910R '06.
          Triumph 1200 Speed Trophy '91, Triumph 1200 '93.
          Z1 '73 restomod, Z1A '74 yellow/green, KZ900 A4 '76 green.
          Yamaha MT-09 Tracer '15 grey.
          Kawasaki Z1300 DFI '84 modified, red.

Comment

Thx to all for the input. To Mathh, I do believe the m-unit has had some major upgrades over the past few years... I’m still on the fence.

Comment

Working...
            X