Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Are these 1981 XS1100 SH pistons standard size?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are these 1981 XS1100 SH pistons standard size?

Hello to my XS1100 friends!

I need to find out if this piston is a standard size piston. From the pics I see a 3H5 on top and a 3H500 on the bottom. I take it that the 00 of the 3H500 means 00 standard size, not any of the oversizes.
    I want to re-ring the pistons with NOS rings on my XS1100 project.

your help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    Ronnie.
    1978 XS1100E

According to the parts fiche, the ring part #'s kinda work that way, the pistons have their own part #s. You may want to measure them to be sure. According to the FSM, Standard piston size is 71.50MM and 1st oversize is 71.75MM and so on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PistonChart.png Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	865550
    Last edited by bikerphil; 06-23-2021, 10:45 PM.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
      According to the parts fiche, the ring part #'s kinda work that way, the pistons have their own part #s. You may want to measure them to be sure. According to the FSM, Standard piston size is 71.50MM and 1st oversize is 71.75MM and so on.

Click image for larger version Name:	PistonChart.png Views:	0 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	865550

thank you for the piston size numbers Phil. I will measure the pistons.
      cheers,
      Ronnie.
      1978 XS1100E

Comment

Ok Ronnie. let us know how it goes.
        2H7 (79)
        3H3

Comment

I measured the pistons and they are 71.5mmm which means they are standard bore. I found 4 new ring kits but by the time they are shipped to Canada from the US it will cost me $400 Canadian dollars.. jeez.
          The cylinders I am using have some surface rust so that is why I want to hone and put in new rings.
          1978 XS1100E

Comment

Wow that border tax sucks, could almost do the cheapo big bore piston kit including the machine work for that $. No Canadian source for rings anywhere I guess? You can use 1st oversize and re-file them if you could find those locally.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 06-25-2021, 10:17 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

Working...
            X