Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

81 cylinder and pistons on a 1978 engine ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 81 cylinder and pistons on a 1978 engine ?

Hello:

This is the only place that will let me add a new topic.

Can I use a 1981 cylinder and pistons on a 1978 engine with a 1978 head?

cheers,
    Ronnie.
    1978 XS1100E

Originally posted by Ronnie_D View Post
    Hello:

This is the only place that will let me add a new topic.

Can I use a 1981 cylinder and pistons on a 1978 engine with a 1978 head?

cheers,
    Ronnie.
    Sorry, Ronnie. I don't know the answer to your question but had the same issue with adding a topic ...so good to know I'm not alone.
    I'm sure someone here DOES knows the answer...and will let you know shortly.
    -Jonny

Comment

Well, basically that would be like using a 78 head on a 80-81 motor and yes it has been done before. The only difference between the early and the late motors is the pistons and the cams/head. You will raise your compression ratio doing this but from what I have read, there would be no piston/valve clearance issues.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by bikerphil View Post
        Well, basically that would be like using a 78 head on a 80-81 motor and yes it has been done before. The only difference between the early and the late motors is the pistons and the cams/head. You will raise your compression ratio doing this but from what I have read, there would be no piston/valve clearance issues.
        Thank you bikerphil.
        That is good to hear.
        I am going to try it on my project.

Ronnie.
        1978 XS1100E

Comment

You're welcome. If you would like to do more reading on the subject of interchange heads and cams between the early and late motors, do an advanced search for posts from member Dan Hodges. He did a lot of experimenting in this area.
          2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Working...
          X