I don't like Vtwins, but..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't like Vtwins, but..........

If this thing was avaliable in Canada, I'd be tempted.
    Any of you guys ever ride one of these?

Yamaha Bulldog
    1979 xs1100sf
    1972 cb500 four

that is a pretty good looking ride.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Excuse the Blasphemy, but I actually like the looks of some V-twins. I like the Cruiser style....hence my Special!! I liked the looks of the Harley, but I'm not very impressed with their performance. I'd like to try some of the newer Japanese bigger V-twins, but I think I'd still be disappointed.

Gary Granger/66 rides an Aprilia Tuano....a different kind of V-twin!!

But I just don't like Sport bikes, the looks or feel! Sorry Targetman, but I'm bullish on the XS11! No thankyou to the Bulldog!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

TopCat, I share the same view about most v-twin engines (their performance compared to multis'). Absolutely.
        I agree that Harleys look good, but It's the "Image" I wouldn't want to buy into.
        I read some reviews of this bulldog bike. It's engine is out of one of the Yamaha cruisers, so It's no sportbike.

I see it as a modern standard, that looks and handles well.
        The reviews said it wasn't fast, but was very fun to ride.
        That's what I want... a modern "standard" bike that's FUN.

The way the frame looks, the tach inside the speedo face, shaft drive, cool stuff.
        To top it off, they said it was CHEAP.
        Oh yeah, and the name is great.
        Last edited by Targetman; 09-22-2005, 10:46 PM.
        1979 xs1100sf
        1972 cb500 four

Comment

OOOhhhhh; if somebody would just make an updated copy of the Vincent Black Shadow!!!!!!

Steve
          80 XS1100G Standard - YammerHammer
          73 Yamaha DT3 - DirtyHairy
          62 Norton Atlas - AgileFragile (Dunstalled) waiting reassembly
          Norton Electra - future restore
          CZ 400 MX'er
          68 Ducati Scrambler
          RC Planes and Helis

Comment

TC I have a freind that has a tuano and he let me ride her!! It was a fun bike. Hard to tell about the acceleration in comparison to the XS, I was a little timid to really give her hell, I would say I would not race for pinks in a straight line!, but the brakes were to die for, handled great and a great upright seated position. I really would like to ride a VTX 1800. I like the looks of those for a V Twin. The only thing that I would not like is the people that accuse you of getting a "wanna be Harley". I am betting that the VTX would smoke a Harley. It would be weird to have a bike that was all BRAND NEW, with a world of aftermarket parts just a click or phone call away!!!!!
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

Originally posted by LoserShoes
              OOOhhhhh; if somebody would just make an updated copy of the Vincent Black Shadow!!!!!!

Steve
              They do but hold on to your wallet... http://www.irvingvincent.com/

Geezer
              Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

The bike I'd probably be riding if I had the money is the new FJR1300. I checked one out last week at the local Yamaha dealer. It's one sweet machine...

Geezer

Comment

vtx 1800

I ran a vtx against my xj1100, we were even until 120 mph then it pulled away, his will do 140mph. Unless your 1100 works real good dont put ur pink slip up on that one eitheR !! H D wouldnt smell the exhaust of a vtx and i dont like Hondas either..MITCH
                  Doug Mitchell
                  82 XJ1100 sold
                  2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
                  2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
                  1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
                  47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

I wouldn't bet your pink slip against a Suzuki Vstrom either. I own both and the Vstrom will pull away pretty quickly from the XS11 and a friends VTX1800.
                    Bill Murrin
                    Nashville, TN
                    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Updated Black Shadow

...if someone would just make an updated copy of the Vincent Black Shadow...
                      Does anyone remember the Yamaha XV920 chain drive "Euro model" back in the early '80s which I always considered to be the "poor man's Vincent"? I test rode one from the salvage yard a few years back and liked it a lot. I would have bought it but the guy wanted more money than I thought a salvaged bike was worth. He sold it about 6 months later for his asking price.
                      Shiny side up,
                      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

I have a work buddy that has one of those Euro xv920's. Big, boxy, red thing. Very difficult to find parts for it. He bought it new when he lived in Pa, and brought it down here in 97.

Comment

I was thinking about buying a left over Euro XV920 in 1984, but it wasn't any more powerful than my 850 Guzzi I had at the time. Also my Guzzi was better handling.

Geezer

Comment

.. i bought my 920RH about 4 years ago at a salvage yard for 75 bucks. i got it running, chopped it and took it to the drag races.
                            it was no power house but it was fun. after some modifications my best times were 13.50s
                            the harley guys wouldn't let me race in there class so i raced with the cars..i didn't want to play with them pecker heads anyway
                            .. do you guys see that Vincent black shadow on ebay.. its up to 52,000 bucks!.. anybody got fat a wallet wants in on this better hurry it ends tomorrow... its pretty cherry

Comment

Hey Geezer, I've got a soft spot for Guzzi's. I had use of a friend's 850 Eldorado Police Special for a few weeks and it was comfortable, looked great, handled great, was reasonably fast and had a Fontana 4-leading-shoe brake which made it stop right now.
                              Shiny side up,
                              650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                              XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                              X