No announcement yet.

get bike ready to drag race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well i put 15w 50 in it moble 1 sythatic and that is the oil that alot of the guy on here are using and i dont think that is my problem i am sure the clutch is wore out it was acting up before i changed the oil

the clucth is getting replaced and so are the springs and the coils and we arte going to go back to the track in a few weeks like thew first weekend of october i am hoping to try to get a high 12 out of the bile before i get the exhaust and the carbs redone

my goal is to get it back in it glore days of running low 12s high 11s anybody got any suggestions on how to do that

i mean i had such a blast at the track
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

Comment

Bandet, If you've got a 78E, ditch the indy filters and put the airbox back on. Also put the baffles back in.(assume it's the stock exhaust) The baffles and airbox work together. Then go DOWN one size on the main jet to 135 to run it nicely lean, and advance your ignition timing by 5 or 6 degrees. Smash the gearlever hard and fast at 7000 revs at each gear change. Cross the line screaming blue murder in 4th, or change to 5th, your choice. As you know, you're wasting your time with a f***d clutch though.

If the clutch still slips with new everything, then squeeze in another steel plate to lock it nice and tight. Hot coils, K&N filter, 10 1cm holes drilled in the box, pilots up one size, mains up 2 sizes to 142.5, and a GOOD 4-1, and still advanced 5 deg, slide holes drilled to 3mm(dynajet style) - then she'll start hissing and snarling like the beast she should be!

Comment

?

you never did get into when you were shifting and such. don't be scared. hammer that beast,**** when the engine stops pulling. i bang gears no clutch at about 9,000-9,200 rpm's. you got the first part right no burnout. XSperiment with jetting. if 4 pods carb jetts are easy to do in about 15min.other than freshing up the motor ....you gotta remember this thing is like 25 years old with quite a few miles on her..
        1982 XJ 1100
        going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
        now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

oh i know it got some miles on ger but i would just like to see a high to mid 12 before i got get a new yamaha r1

i will try some off this stuff i am hearing in 2 weeks when i go to the track again any other suggestions on how to get some more speed and time out of her

Comment

Practise
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

your telling me it is a whole lot different then racing a car

Comment

wheelie bar

trust me , short of a wheelie bar your not going to get in the mid 12's,if your running 83's now. Period your asking to drop 1 and a half seconds by doing nothing to your bike? if that was the case dragsters would be doing the 1/4 mile in under a millasecond.Speed costs money,how fast do you want to go?You have to remember that the bike only ran those numbers new ,when the valve springs clutches ,tires and engine had only just barley been broken in.are you tucking under the gauges? no serious lay your helmet flat on the tank,keep your elbows tucked in to your body as close as you can.NO FEAR if you can cut a good light (.004-.005) and hammer the snot to get a better 60' time (like 1.0-1.5) then you will be were you want. Just remember the clock starts when the light turns green,so if you got a 1.something reaction time you can gain time there,
                1982 XJ 1100
                going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
                now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

well i know thats what they ran new and i know going fast cost money i got a mustang drag car, so what can i do to freshing her up to get her back into tip top running shape

Comment

.. i have .02 cents, i'll throw in

my very first race my 79 special and i went 12.75 seconds all day long. i came in third place in a pretty large class
                    man that was a cool @ss day!
                    i weigh 190 lbs then
                    the bike had about 25,000 miles on it
                    it had the jardine 4 into 2 exhaust [the criss-cross ones with megaphones] and yes it had the baffels in them
                    k&n oval taper individual air filters
                    and jetting appropriate for those changes and the climate where i live

other trips to the races i got my et numbers down some as i learned the little tricks the other guys have allready suggested

.. these bikes are heavy and there geared kind of high, the best way to get a better 60 ft time than 2. seconds is with wheelie bars
                    .. i got lower et's when i wound out 4th gear,
                    but each bike is a little different , each rider is a little different
                    drag racing is a freakin blast ... part of the fun is learning

Comment

well guys i am heading back out to the track next saturday. just to do some more base line and to get my bro and my bike running better at the track i am hoping for a 13.50 or better this week since it will be cooler and i am going to adjust the clutch some more to give it some more bite but other then that it is just like it was last time i ran it.

so can you guys think of any other tips and tricks we can do to our bikes to get alittle more speed and time out of them.

and my plans are this winter are to paint is get new exhaust and new coils what eles can i do to it this winter to make it alittle faster next summer when we go to the track

Comment

.. change the oil..
                        mobil 1 is really good oil.. for cars..
                        its real slippery and it is part of your clutch problem
                        .. a good motorcycle oil is the best, it works with your clutches and costs more than you want to pay for it also
                        .. this might not keep your clutches from slipping but they might not slip as bad until you get around to changing the plates.. you will need to put a few miles on the bike after the oil change before you go back to the dragstrip to get the overly slippery stuff off the friction surfaces.. maybe take the clutches out of the bike after you change the oil and clean them with brake cleaner
                        . this might help you realise your goal for the mid 13s

.. car engines do not have clutches in the engine oil
                        just one old guys opinion.. opinions are like a.. well you know the rest

Comment

.. oh yeh, and put the baffels back in, its not jetted for wide open pipes.. it will help your 60ft times..plus the propper back pressure will smooth your power band out across your intire rev range from low to high speed

good luck grasshopper

Comment

well guys it is drag racing time again just got the bike out of winter storage and am going to the track next weekend and am hoping for a 12.90 before i add all the parts i got over the winter and i am thinking i can get it and there are alot of good tips in this thread for drag racing. i will let you guys know if i got the pass i wanted next weekend when i get back from the track. just thought i would bring this thread back up since i see there are other people ouyt there the drag there xs1100 other then me

Comment

Draggin' a line!

Hey Bandet,

I'll be running Godzilla at the Richmond MotorSports Park tomorrow AM, and a fellow Xsive, OldBiker, will be there with me to help me photo/video document the event. I have no idea what kind of numbers I'll run. I've got a new clutch, new rear tire, new Indy pods and velocity stack style intakes.

I'll be posting the results hopefully tomorrow evening, so please stay tuned!!
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Good Luck T.C., run safe, run fast!
                                Papa Gino

79 and something XS 1100 Special "Battle Cruiser"
                                78 XT 500 "Old Shaky"
                                02 Kawasaki Concours "Connie"

Comment

Working...
                                X