get bike ready to drag race

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• get bike ready to drag race

so i just got the bike a few months ago and me and some freinds are going to the drag strip this next weekend and i was woundering what i can do to the bike to get it ready for the track.

here is what i have done so far

oil change
    got all new air filters
    new spark plugs
    and took the baffles out of the exhaust
    made sure all the lights work and thats all i have done

but i have noticed the last few times i have really opened her up she just dont want to go at full throttle it acts like the clutch might be slipping is the any adjustments for the clutch, here is what it does if i accel hard in 1st and go into 2nd and go right back to full throttle it just revs but dont gain speed but if i just roll into the throttle is will accel all the way to redline and thatnk you for all the help a getting this bike ready for the track

what should i expect this bi8ke to run in the quater it is a xs11
    79 yamaha xs1100f standard
    best 1/4 mile 13.282@99.40

clutch

Go to the left of this page and click on TECH TIPS then click on MAINTENCE, dont waste ur time going to the track with the clutch like that as times will be poor and it will damage ur cluth more. XS1100 in thier prime would turn high 11s but dont expect that high 12s to mid 13s would be good. Just be careful...................MITCH
    Doug Mitchell
    82 XJ1100 sold
    2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
    2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
    1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
    47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Baffels

Taking the baffels out might just slow you down if the bikes not jetted right for what sounds like indvidual filters and an open exhaust take them with u and try running both ways . Bike was set up for its best performance stock , just my opinion. Welcome to the site .....MITCH
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Raise your front tire pressure to 40psi (or more is you're daring). This will decrease the rolling resistance.
        Lower the rear tire pressure to 25 or 30 to get better grip on the track.
        Don't wheelie, it wastes time.
        Pat Kelly
        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
        1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
        2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
        1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
        1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

suspension

set the front and rear suspension as heavy as possible if air shocks fill them to highest settings. (better weight transfer). it gain me a couple hundredths. or if allowed ratch strap the front end together so the shock will be like a solid pieace.
          1982 XJ 1100
          going strong after 60,000 miles

The new and not yet improved TRIXY
          now in the stable. 1982 xj11, 18,000miles

Comment

i am just trying to get some base time since this winter it is getting a new clutch and springs and coils and carbs rebuilt and new mac exhaust

Comment

well...you asked

13's in the 1/4,lower if 1 you weigh less than me (250) 2 your very xspereanced, 3 if you have very few miles on her. 52,000on mine
              1982 XJ 1100

Comment

well took it to the track and the best i got was a 13.872 @99.16 mph, and the clutch was slipping the whole time i was at the track and the front end keep wanting to come up on my but i am thinking get a new clutch and heavy duty springs and accel coil kit and mac exhaust i might see a high 12 out of her or even lower and the bike has 56900 on her right now

Comment

jetts

thats about what i used to run 13.5's . i went up a main jet size and got it solidly running .10's at 102-103mph. just currious what were your 60' times? mine were hiddious in the 2 sec. range. I had to slip my clutch bad to take off. if i took it to 6,000 rpm it would stall when i dumped the clutch,if 7,500 rpm it wanted to go over backwards.
                  1982 XJ 1100

Comment

my best 60 was a 2.444

so what all you done to your bike and what you got it running now
                    what i found out was if i didnt do a burn out i hooked up better
                    but i wasnt launching hard at all because the front end just wanted to come straight up

Comment

done

4 individual air cleaners no air box. 4-1 kerker at that time (since has rusted out back to stock exshaust now) and a 137.5 main jet. rasied the needle with a small washer and thats about it. Best time was 13.10 at 103mph. There was no problem hooking up at the track they use traction compound at our local drags ( almost pulls my shoes off when inching forward to get in the lights,it's XStreamly sticky) i also fill my air shocks up as much as it will take ( beleave it or not that initself was worth .3 off my times)
                      1982 XJ 1100

Comment

I think If I was going to dragrace my bike (and was trailering it to the track) I'd build a strut/wheeliebar for the occasion(s).
                        Pat Kelly
                        <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                        1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                        1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

wuss

pat track is 40 miles from my house. i drive it there (hiway 75-80mph) then beat the snot out of it then drive it back home.we don't need no stinking wheelie bars or solid susp......
                          1982 XJ 1100

Comment

We used to ride our bikes to the Wed Night "Run What Ya Brung" races at (the then new) Firebird Raceway in Chandler, AZ.
                            Only modification we did was remove our mirrors .
                            My CB400TII ran a silent 14 second 1/4 mile quite consistently.
                            Pat Kelly
                            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                            1968 F100 (Valentine)

Comment

At the risk of being simplistic...there have been cases where the wrong choice of oil led to clutch slipping...read one of the oil threads for more info. Too slick is not good for our bikes.
                              "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                              X