No announcement yet.

What Parts have you used from MikesXS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Makes no difference if they made 650's for a thousand years, there are other bikes out there, and he has parts for them.

It is like when Canadian Tire changed it's part system. In the 'old' days thier system showed the part number and EVERY vehicle ever made, that the part fit.

Then they went to the system that only goes back a few years. The parts are still there, but unless the customer knows the part numbers off by heart, CT will never sell them the part.

Personally, If I was Mike's, I would, as I found out, list everything that each part would fit. Any business that does not want an extra market w/o doing anything, is, in my opinion, silly.

Nothing to do with snobbery. I am not exactly sold on the XS yet. Get me talking about VT1100's...

BTW Fred, there is an XS1100 for sale in Saskatoon, on Kijiji.com. Might have a freind interested in it. Would you be knowledgeable enough to take a look at it for us?
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Sure I can.

" BTW Fred, there is an XS1100 for sale in Saskatoon, on Kijiji.com. Might have a freind interested in it. Would you be knowledgeable enough to take a look at it for us? "
      Hi Crazcnuk,
      it won't be the first time someone has mistaken this ignorant fellow for a motorcycle expert, so yeah, I can give the seller a call. You will note that it's a "project bike" with the carbs off and a battery that's most likely dead. You will come fetch it or what?
      Fred Hill, S'toon
      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Yes, if it looks like a reasonable buy. Saskatoon is not that far from us here.

From the description it should be a runner, once the carbs and what else are put back on. Reassembly is not an issue.

More concerned that it's not trashed.

I called the number on the ad, using 306 as the area code and left a message but haven't got any reply yet. Don't know if he still has it.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by fredintoon
          " ..., perhaps Mike knows his own business best?
          I talked to Mike last year at the XS650 ralley in northern Germany. He was there as the german XS650 shop does a lot of business with Mike.
          Mike knows that a lot of parts do fit the XS11 but he does his shop/business as a hobby. He travel a lot around the world to meet potential suppliers and talk to people (XS650 owners) what the would like to see in his shop.
          Adding the other XSses to his line up would create a lot more work (he said).
          XS1100 and XS650- what do you need more?

Comment

Other than putting xs1100 in the part description, so that the search engine pickes it up, or simply making a new section on the website for xs1100 it needn't make any more work at all, except filling the orders.

All I need is the cross reference so that I know the part fits.

His flying around etc, has nothing to do with xs1100's.

It's his businees, however, and he can run it how he sees fit. I just find it odd.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Any new updates?

Can anybody add any further knowledge about MikesXS and 1100 parts? I'm sure there are plenty of newbies that would like to know where to find some parts.

1980 XS11g Standard - "Ash"
              4 to 2 Exhaust
              K&N Pod Filters
              Fuel Filters
              Inline shut off valves
              Slotted Rotors
              My heart and soul

Soon to have stainless lines, xs750 FD, lightened rotors, and HID headlight

1979 Special Project Bike
              Non-gasoline conversion

Comment

"Don't know about parts..."

But they have the lowest price for the Cam chain tool and the valve compresser.
                "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Chrome handlebar ETC.....

I purchased the chrome handlebar center piece and master cylinder rebuild kit. Perfect fit on both.

Floyd
                  '80G

Comment

Common parts, different designs.

I have an XS650 and an XS11 and a background in engineering design. Looking at both bikes, it seems to me that they were designed in different offices by people who had a common catalog of parts but were never allowed to communicate with each other. Just for one instance, compare the completely different design of the swingarm bearings, plastic bushings vs sealed ball races; there are many others. But these different designs have many parts that will swap right over.
                    Front wheel & brake rotors, XS11 Standard, all 3 brake calipers, only the rear caliper on the XS11 Special, again, many other examples.
                    As the USA seems to be drunk on frivolous litigation ( the XS650 part you said might fit my 1934 Pharnes-Barnes didn't and you owe me ten million dollars because I was publicly embarrassed when the wheels fell off at the rally) I can see where MikesXS just don't want to know about his parts fitting other bikes. Which leaves those decisions on what XS650 parts may or may not fit on an XS11 up to the purchaser; which is perhaps as it should be.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

54mm air filter pods with sweet XS logo on them.
                      Si Parker
                      '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Working...
                      X