Hands-on?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands-on?

While out riding this last weekend, I started paying more attention how much time I spent riding with only one hand on the bars. Sometimes I use only the right hand, giving the left a break, but often flip on the throttle lock and use the left hand, giving the right a break. On some stretches I ride with both hands off the bars. Only time I really use both hands is getting out of town, going through twisties, passing another vehicle, or getting up to cruising speeds.

So my question is....is this somewhat common? I'm talking about miles traveled, not hours/minutes of riding.

If I had to put stats to it, I suspect I only use 2 hands 15 percent of the time, rest is probably 82 percent 1-handed, 3 percent no-handed. Varies a bit based on route, my commute is mostly interstate, so percentage of 1-hand or no-hand is higher than "recreational" riding, which tends to be more twisties and 2-hand riding, but over-all I don't travel a lot of miles with both hands on the bars.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Commuting in town, I'm almost always two handed (I live in a wicked town for commuting...think pinball...with guns).

On long trips, I frequently have one or both hands off the bars. I've got electronic cruise, and my favorite super-slab riding position is: feet on the highway pegs, leaning back on the backrest, with my hands in my lap. I've gone more than 60 miles like that, never touching the handlebars.

So...out of town...not burning up twisties...I'd say 80% of the time I have one or both hands off the bars.
    CUAgain,
    Daniel Meyer
    Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
    Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

even no hands now and then!!!!

I am one handed alot, only right hand though. I don't have a throttle lock.
      Travis Miller
      1978 E

Comment

I would appeciate some info on "throttle locks". How do they work, what to look for and where to find. Are they safe? Apparantly on new bikes it's some electronic configuration.
        80 SG
        81 SH in parts
        99 ST1100
        91 ST1100

Comment

Throttle locks are just a "flip" lever or cam lock that holds your throttle where you set it. They can be added to any bike and cost between $25 and $100 (some are chrome and fancy). They are safe if installed correctly...they just hold the throttle, you can easily overcome it and alter the setting. You can get them anywhere you get motorcycle parts.

The disadvantage to these is that the bike will markedly speed up going downhill and slow down going up hill.

Then there's electronic cruise control. Like a car, you push a button and it holds your speed at that point, adjusting the throttle as needed to keep the speed constant. You disengage by applying either brake, pulling in the clutch, or pushing the "off" button. Audiovox makes a "universal cruise control" for cars that many (including me) have put on motorcycles. It costs about $100.

There's a pretty good page about this here:
          http://www.angelfire.com/il/sproulpage/page13.html
          CUAgain,
          Daniel Meyer
          Author. Adventurer. Electrician.
          Find out why...It's About the Ride.

Comment

Thanks for the info Daniel. I've checked a couple dealers and they had no throttle locks and didn't seem to know much about them. Just thinking it would be nice to sometimes give that right hand a break.
            I have a copy of your first book coming any day now!!
            80 SG
            81 SH in parts
            99 ST1100
            91 ST1100

Comment

Have had a throttle lock on my XJ for 5 years now. Basically, they are an adjustable clamp, lever operated. Flip the lever down and the clamp holds the plastic that runs under the right handgrip in place, which effectively hold the throttle at that setting. The clamp force is adjustable, and I have mine set so I can still twist the throttle without much effort if I have to. Flip the lever up and the clamp releases completely.

The lever/clamp fits between the left end of the grip and the handlebar. I had to slide my grip to the right about 1/2 inch to allow the lock to fit. There is a "U" shape in the throttle lock bracket that fits around the throttle cable fitting; this keeps the clamp in place when you are flipping the lever up and down. When you look for a lock you will see them advertised for single or dual throttle cables, this referes only to the bracket design. Get a single-cable set-up and you should be OK.

Given the limitations of up and down hill riding, you will still be surprised at how often the lock works well. Giving your right hand a break for even a few miles at a time is very welcome on long trips, and I've run stretches of 60 - 80 miles or more with the lock on. If you plan any long runs, a throttle lock makes life easier. Plus you get to ride using only your left hand, or using no hands at all! You get some very interesting responses by waving both hands....
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I have had a throttle lock on my bike since I bought it over 13 years ago. I transferred it from my xs750SF .I used to ride for miles with no hands when the conditions allow, and with just one hand a lot. I can't imagine riding with out it now.

Comment

Thanks guys. Now I just have to find one!
                  80 SG
                  81 SH in parts
                  99 ST1100
                  91 ST1100

Comment

laxdad
                    try this link:
                    http://www.roadridermca.com/
                    They have almost everything you need. I use them, but then I just ride down there at lunch!

Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I live not too far from Sturgis, SD and see a lot of motorcycle traffic this time of year. I was on the interstate between Sundance, WY and Spearfish, SD (about 40 miles from Sturgis) in my pickup when I got PASSED by a guy on a Hardley who was leaning back against a sissy bar with his arms crossed behind his head and his feet crossed and resting on his handle bars. I kid you ney. He was in the middle of a group of about 25 or so other bikes. I immediately kicked the cruise off and slowed down...because a) I didn't want to distract him and have him plow me or somone else, and b) I didn't want to witness an Indian Larry type event right before my eyes. He rode that way until they were out of sight. I was doing about 75 so they had to be doing at least 80. What a nut. I mean he actually looked kind of cool and all, but man...y'know?
                      They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

Jerry,

I am similar to you, I rarely use both hands unless I am braking hard, cornering hard, or accelerating hard enough to require it (read front wheel in the air). OK that may be most all the time but I really do ride with 1 or none most of the time.
                        Gary Granger
                        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
                        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

Working...
                        X