gas mileage ponderings...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

xs650Mike,

Well written, good points, and...(swallows) you're right that it is very naive to pin the current high prices solely on strict evniro-regs.
    There is no doubt some ugly gouging going on (my equipment runs on the same high dollar fuel as everyone else). What those companies have done in your area is downright sickening, especially the part about the cancer rates...terrible, not denying that, will never defend the actions of companys who behave in that matter.
    I'm a little stiff-legged because I starved for so long, and was actually forced out of work (not unlike the crab-fishermen) as a direct result on new drilling stipulations and permitting procedures. Perhaps I once again naievly(sp?) assumed (we all know where that leads) that the refiners were facing the same problems.
    Like your chemical company, we just want to do the right thing, and due to the increase in domestic activity spurred by the huge increase in demand, we are once again able to provide a living for ourselves and those familes we employ. However, my profits have not tripled or even doubled in the last three years. And for some reason the feds and even those at the state level just make it tougher and tougher for us to do business. So by the time it is all said and done, it is just easier for the major buyers (usually large oil companies) to buy product from the terrorists. Is this right? Hell NO, I say, but then again, I'm just a miniscule link in a very large chain.
    Again, I love this country and especially Wyoming, and I want it to be here for my kids should they choose to remain here. Honestly, you can scarecly tell the producing areas from the pristine wild-life areas (unlike the refiners in your area obviously). In some areas in the Powder River Basin, there is actually INCREASED wet-land and wild-life habitat as a RESULT of production not in spite of production. Yet they continue to pile on restrictions, and the price goes....UP. We are all just waiting for the market to dump again, as the terrorists are always willing to supply all the gas and oil we can use for quite some time, buy bombs and bullets with the profits and then hit us with them instead.?????
    As far as The President is concerned, the last time we were in a fix like this Jimmy Carter was President. Do you suppose that he called on his peanut farmer buddies to all collude on the price of oil? Gimmee a break.
    They Call Me the Breeze

'79 SF

Comment

I am old enough to remember when President Eisenhower reigned in the steel companies even though it went against his conservative grain. He did it for the good of the country. Last time the oil companies were this irresponsible Theodore Roosevelt was President and he stomped on 'em good! Both of these Presidents were Republicans and certainly not anti-capitalist. I think eventually this scandal will break and it'll be way bigger than Teapot Dome. It may even doom the Republican Party which'll be a shame and a pity. One of the main problems is that the big corporations are all about the bottom line of the next annual report, they don't really give a rat's ass about this country or humanity in general.

I am now lucky enough to live in the only county in California that meets all the State and Federal requirements for clean air (for 10 years running). That means we don't even have to smog check our cars except when we sell them. It's a hot-rodders paradise. I hope nothing happens to screw it up.

We do have a mecury pollution problem both from natural background and old mining operations. There's a Superfund site on the shore of Clear Lake that has had no abatement at all and it's been years and years, I don't suppose it'll ever be cleaned up...it may not even be possible. Of course some of the Indians have been given the land next to the old mine and they've been living here for 20,000 years. Many of them are crazy from mercury poisoning since they eat the fish from that part of the lake. It's just obvious there's got to be at least some environmental laws.
      Shiny side up,
      650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
      XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Today I gassed up in Lakeport at the cheapest station in the county and (wonder of wonders) the gas price had gone down 10 cents to $2.759 for 87 octane, $2.859 for 89 octane and $2.959 for 91 octane. Dunno about diesel since this station doesn't sell it. This is unbranded gas and the price may seem high to non-Californians but it ain't bad considering what it's been lately. I filled up with 87 octane which runs fine in my SF. My current mileage is 43.6 mpg.
        Shiny side up,
        650 Mike

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

The oil age will end long before oil supplies do. Only a tiny fraction of the planets' oil fields have ever been used. Someone said the stone age didn't end because of lack of stone. Oil companies claim that exploration and development of new feilds is too expensive. Don't forget the poor slobs have only raked in trillions upon trillions of dollars over the decades. Humans couldn't organize this planet properly in a billion years. Alternative energy is the only way out of this bloody mess.

Comment

I agree with you there pggg!
            Shiny side up,
            650 Mike

Comment

Saw a newspaper article the other day talking about a fuel cell motorcycle:

Check it out here
              Ken Talbot

Comment

that all sounds great, but the bottom line is that there are only gas, diesel and kerosene at the local gas stop. Where do you get hydrogen at? I am sure that someone would start to control the hydrogen and we would see prices rise as demand rose. I would be willing to try something new though. Sounds like it would be much better for the environment. Bet that it is just stupid slow compared to the XS.
                Travis Miller
                1978 E

Comment

I was thinking about what pggg said about the oil companies claiming it's too expensive to develop new fields. Then I remembered an expose I saw on ABCs Nightline some months back about U.S. corporations doing business with terrorist nations in violation of U.S. law. They skirt the law by doing this through their foreign subsidiaries. Two of these are Conoco Phillips and (surprise!) Halliburton. Their foreign subsidiaries are totally bogus and consist solely of mail drops in the Caymans. Halliburton and Conoco Phillips are developing oil fields and refineries in Syria and Iran. Apparently it's not too expensive to develop new supplies of oil there. We should be developing our own oil supplies, not those of our enemies. Of course the Bush administration is not cracking down on these companies since the principals are friends of Bush, Cheney & Co. The mainstream media have totally ignored this scandal. This is treason of the highest order and I think that the people responsible should be in jail but you don't hear a word from the "conservative" talk show hosts who complain daily about "Islamo-Facism". ABC aired this scandal one time only on late night TV when it should be on the evening news every night until something is done about it.

I hear that China has bought Union Oil Company of California (Unocal 76). Now there's a 76 gas station (formerly Exxon) in Middletown (Lake County, California) which has a red 76 ball sign instead of the usual orange. It looked odd to me and then I noticed it said Conoco Phillips on the sign. Anybody know what's going on here? I had been patronizing 76 stations since they were the first in California to stop using MTBE as an oxygenator in their gasoline. This particular station has no signs proclaiming "No MTBE" as other 76 stations do.

Methyl Tertiary Butyl Ether or MTBE has polluted many wells and water supplies in California and elsewhere and will be outlawed very soon in California. Now there's a Canadian company which manufactures MTBE suing the State of California for restraint of trade under the North American Free Trade Agreement since NAFTA precludes any laws restricting free trade in North America. If they prevail in their suit we will have a foreign company forcing California to use MTBE in gasoline even though it is poisoning our water supplies. I'm thinking internationalism has gone too far. "Hey Canada! You don't pollute your own water, why insist on polluting ours?" What is happening to our country and our world?
                  Shiny side up,
                  650 Mike

Comment

Unfortunately the present technology to generate hydrogen takes more energy than the hydrogen produces. We need some real breakthroughs.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

Comment

Working...
                    X