No announcement yet.

Where do you buy carb jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems like they came both ways. My SG has 110 straight across, and others have too. Some, though, had the 120 in the #2 and #3, the thought was to run richer and cooler in the middle. It is OK either way.
    David Browne
    XS11SG Crunchbird
    XS500E

Comment

Hey Xser's,
      I rebuilt my carbs last winter with 4 new K&L kits. All the jets were numbered exept the pilot jet. Bike ran incredibly rich, swap to the old 42.5 and runs like a dream. What out for unnumbered jets, I pulled my carbs off like 15 times, fiddling with my float level. The problem was the pilot jets the whole (after rebuild) time.
      I have an 81 special and it had 110 mains 42.5 pilots from the factory. I bought a another set of 81 SH carbs and they were 110 mains 42.5 pilots also. Both sets have #300 Needle jets
      Bill Woods
      1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
      1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
      2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Use Mikuni Jets!

Yes, this was a problem discovered on Sid's bike at BI2K2. I was just watching and listening, but nobody has posted the warning so I will. Sid had rebuilt a couple of carbs with the K & L kits, but still not running great. Jeremy discovered the kit pilots were way bigger than the Mikunis. Some Mikuni jets were found, installed, and Sid reported tiresmoking behavior. The consensus was that the kits aren't the way to go, just cut your own gaskets and buy Mikuni jets.
        David Browne
        XS11SG Crunchbird
        XS500E

Comment

You can get the gaskets and needle/seats at www.partsnmoreonline.com for $10(Carb rebuild kit) and a set of rubber manifolds for $80. Free shipping/handling on orders of $30 or more.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
          1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
          2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
          1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
          2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Hey again,
            i found a footnote on the K&L carb kit that said to check the jet numbers. That is hard to do when thiers had no numbers on them. Other then the grief and stress of fixing it all, i am happy with the K&L kits. And would recommend them even. Just NEVER put an unnumbered jet in a carb!
            I can report tire smoking behavior also, but i plead the 5th (as usual).
            Bill Woods
            1981 Yamaha XS1100SH (Eleven Special)
            1985 Kawasuki GS425 Mojave ATV
            2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 4x4 ATV

Comment

Re: Had to drill them out.

Originally posted by nashville_bill
              Well, SNIPPED
              I have a question about the main jets now. I found a chart in the "Maintenance>Carburetors>Carburetor Facts - Models and " that says that a 1981 SH uses 110 main jets in 1&4 and 120 main jets in 2&3. I also found in the specs listing in the CD I bought that all four carbs have 110 main jets. My SH has 110 main jets in all four carbs. Does anyone know the original configuration?
              Hey there Bill,
              Yeah, my manual says the same thing, but when I tore mine apart, they had 110's in all four also, straight stock config from the factory, since my teardown was the first time for them since being put on the bike!! So....I would imagine that the 110's are the "true" configuration, not sure if Yamaha gave Clymers a bum steer!?
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Pilot Jets are Numbered

I received my new pilot jets from Dennis Kirk yesterday, and they are stamped with the Mikuni logo and "42.5" just below the threads. They also came in a plastic pouch that was labled as being from Mikuni and had the Mikuni part numbers. The jets are very small and I had to use a jeweler's loupe to read the markings. I'm old and can't see that small stuff anymore.
                Bill Murrin
                Nashville, TN
                1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
                1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
                2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
                2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
                1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
                2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

Working...
                X