Where do you buy carb jets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where do you buy carb jets?

I need to buy some new carb jets and want to know the best place to get them. I am going to drill out my Pilot jets(Stuck) and will need to replace them with stock 42.5s. My old XS650 parts place has them for $3 each but lists two types. The BS30/96 type is listed for the 80-84 650 CVs and the VM22/210 type is listed for the 76-79 650s. Does anyone know the type of Mikuni pilot jet that would be right for my XS11SH?
    Bill Murrin
    Nashville, TN
    1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
    1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
    2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
    2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
    1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
    2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

carb jets

Hi,

I just got a set of 45 pilot jets from Dennis Kirk. $9.99 for a set of four. My only issue is that they come unmarked, so I guess trust is important here.

Tim
    80 XS11 Special

Comment

I just went down to my local Suzuki/Yamaha shop and they pulled a tray out from under the counter with all the Mikuni jets in it, just picked out what I wanted and that was that......
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

stubborn,stuck pilot jets

I had some pilot jets that wouldn't come loose.
        Didn't want to to soak the entire carburetor in the "strong" stuff, even with the diaphragm stuff separated. Main reason; didn't want to undo the butterfly stuff .
        I set the carb upside down. Put about 6 drops of Chemtool B-12
        down into the jet hole. With a medicine dropper.
        Waited 30 minutes. Out they come.
        Have to have a perfect fitting screw driver to perfectly fit the jet
        screwdriver cross-slot. Have some kind of glass holder utensil , to hold the medicine dropper upright, when you're not using it.
        Any Chemtool ever gets to the rubber on the top; you gotta get
        another medicine dropper.
        I don't even try dis-assembly of Pilot jets anymore without doing
        the Chemtool, medicine-dropper treatment, right off. They really want to bond up, with any kind of use. Let alone, if they've
        gotten the "dried-gas-varnish" problem. Which most of them have, that I've dealt with.
        JCarltonRiggs

81XS1100SH; WorkingMotorcycle,Not For Show,DeletedFairing,SportsterHL,
        7½ gal. Kaw Concours gastank,1972 Wixom Bros. bags

79XS1100F; ?Parts?, or to Restore?

Comment

Carlton,

Thanks for the tip. I 'll pick up some Chemtool B-12 this week and maybe I wont have to drill out all of them. The slots are already buggered up and the carbs hadn't been cleaned in a long time. I had to drill out one of the needle/seats.
          Bill Murrin
          Nashville, TN
          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Re: carb jets

TSEARS wrote:
            I just got a set of 45 pilot jets from Dennis Kirk. $9.99 for a set of four. My only issue is that they come unmarked, so I guess trust is important here.
            I'd be careful about using anything except genuine Mikuni jets, especially if they're unmarked. A genuine Mikuni jet has the little "square in a square" logo and the jet size marked on it.

Mikuni brand main jet
            It's enough to hope that Mikuni will have good quality control on jet sizes. If I were to go with another manufacturer, I'd replace a full set. JAT, FWIW, ETC.
            Bill K.
            1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
            1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

The Wonderful World of Jets

The pilot jets won't be numbered, to my knowledge. Some of 'em
              will have 6 bleeder holes (cross-ways); >> some of 'em: 8 .
              I never worry about the number of bleeder holes. My pilot screw
              needle adjustment is the controller.

Nashville__Bill ; don't buy the Chemtool B-12 in the "spray" can .
              Too much of a spurt. Can't control it. Get the can with the liquid.
              JCarltonRiggs

Comment

addendum

A cheap "must have" tool, that's neat to "check" different
                size holes, different jets : K&L "carburetor cleaner kit", $8.99, Part No. 28-465 , has 10 different size "guitar" wires clasped in a handy dandy holder.
                Available from DennisKirk. ..........
                JCarltonRiggs

Comment

addendum, again

The absolute best tool , I've run onto, to get those pilot jets
                  undone is the "carburetor adjusting tool", Part No. 28-277 .
                  From DennisKirk. .
                  It's a delicate job, cuz you don't want to damage the screwdriver
                  slot, but you gotta have some torque.
                  This tool is 2 pieces; you just use the "screwdriver" part. The width of the screwdriver end is .15 of an inch . Exact same width of the jet screwdriver cross-slot. Perfect snug fit, down into the slot.
                  .....Well, now, ........I just got to looking closer at the tool ; stamped on it is MP08-022 . I guess it's a MotionPro
                  tool.
                  JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Re: The Wonderful World of Jets

oldnortonrider wrote:
                    The pilot jets won't be numbered, to my knowledge. Some of 'em will have 6 bleeder holes (cross-ways); >> some of 'em: 8. I never worry about the number of bleeder holes. My pilot screw needle adjustment is the controller.
                    Nashville__Bill ; don't buy the Chemtool B-12 in the "spray" can .
                    Too much of a spurt. Can't control it. Get the can with the liquid.
                    • Genuine Mikuni pilot jets ARE numbered; just under the threaded part.
                      A different number of holes, or even mismatched pilot jets, don't make tuning impossible. As oldnortonrider said, the pilot screw is the controller. However, it's a lot simpler to tune when you start with matched components.
                      I prefer not to soak carb components because I don't like like to fully dismantle the carb bank. I've had good success with spray carb cleaner from Wal-Mart.
                      Of course, after cleaning carbs I always pre-synchronize the carbs before installing and tuning!

Bill K.
                    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Thank you for the 2 above , invaluable postings . I hadn't yet stumbled onto the pre-synchronize the carbs thread, until now. Made my day. I've been getting around, to getting around, to do my first synchronization of butterflys.

I get my spray-cleaners, and non-spray cleaners, additives, etc.>>
                      from Walmart, also ; sometimes I'll use a "quickie" spray-clean-pressure-"blowout", with the carburetors still on the machine ; but I always use WD-40 with the 5" plastic squirt stem stuck into the carb "holes" exposed with the aircleaners off (airbox side of the carbs)......, sorta, for emergencies. It will "re-arrange dirt and/or water, without pulling the carbs. I'm always afraid, the stronger stuff, will find its way to something that ain't metal. I don't want that "other" stuff to blow back into my face, either.

Where at online, are you getting your genuine, Mikuni, "numbered" pilot jets at ?

My motorcycle world would not be manageable , without the
                      mercury, vacuum synchronizing carburetor stick.
                      JCarltonRiggs

Comment

JCarltonRiggs (oldnortonrider) wrote:

Where at online, are you getting your genuine, Mikuni, "numbered" pilot jets at ?
                        Bike Bandit is a great source for schematics and lots of OEM parts, including Mikuni jets. For the jets, click on:

Performance/Replacement parts-Air & Fuel
                        Carburetor Jets
                        Then Mikuni CV Jets, Main Jets, or Pilot Jets

Mains are $9.00/4.

Something I forgot to mention... I use a 99¢ magnifying glass to read those tiny numbers on the jets

Good luck and keep everyone posted on your progress.

Bill K.
                        1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
                        1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

I bought the jets at Dennis Kirk yesterday, although I looked a Bikebandit. I didn't buy from Bikebandit(same price) because they didn't have a phone number to call and their link to technical help was closed. I don't know if it ever opens. I like to have some way to get in touch with my vendors.

Thanks to everyone for the help. I plan to get the old ones out this weekend and install the new ones.

I just installed my new Tkat fork brace today. Love it!
                          Bill Murrin
                          Nashville, TN
                          2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

You'll have to change the name of yer beast, from "Aggravation"
                            to something like "EasyRider".......; now that you've got TKat's
                            forkbrace installed. You may have picked up on some of my posts,
                            that I've had the F/B on mine, now, for about 2 months. It's wunnerful. I look fer reasons to motor around, now.
                            Keep us posted......later on, as to your success or struggles to get
                            the old pilot jets out.......when your DennisKirk pilot jets come in, let us know if they do have numbers on 'em.

Bill K. ; ....yes, indeed; my carburetor table has a big magnifying glass laying on it.
                            JCarltonRiggs

Comment

Had to drill them out.

Well, all the King's Chemtool B-12, all the King's snug fitting screwdrivers, all the King's left handed drill bits and all the King's easy outs couldn't get the pilot jets out.

I had to DRILL them out!

Nothing I tried worked on these little !#**@)@! resessed jets so I used the old drill press, with a 5/32" bit, and then picked the remaining threads out with some dental probes and a jeweler's loupe. It was pretty scary but I think I have saved most of the carb threads so the new jets will seal OK. I picked up a set of metric taps yesterday so I can clean them up before installing the new jets.

I have a question about the main jets now. I found a chart in the "Maintenance>Carburetors>Carburetor Facts - Models and " that says that a 1981 SH uses 110 main jets in 1&4 and 120 main jets in 2&3. I also found in the specs listing in the CD I bought that all four carbs have 110 main jets. My SH has 110 main jets in all four carbs. Does anyone know the original configuration?
                              Bill Murrin
                              Nashville, TN
                              2005 FJR1300 Newest ride

Comment

Working...
                              X