No announcement yet.

New Dunlops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

130 on back and 100 on front. Is that shaft sealed? Wonder if you could do a little "clearancing" with the grinder to get a 140 on next time? Just curious, probably would not do it.
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

Hey Travis,

The shaft chamber is NOT sealed, it's just a hollow area that provides the strength and protection of the drive shaft. Funny you should mention about trimming/grinding off some of the case. I was thinking about that very thing along with my bracing the swingarm with more metal on top, bottom, and inbetween the arms. Was wondering what the largest sized tire I could get to fit on the STOCK RIM?! When I finally get around to pulling my swingarm off, I'll check the location of the drive shaft and it's proximity to the outer casing, to see how much of the casing could be removed without fear of contacting the spinning driveshaft inside!!
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I would love to do this kind of research, but I need to keep my bike driving right now. It is the only one that I have! That would be an interesting write up to read!! Keep me posted.
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

Hey Travis,

Well, after a little research into tire availability, unless we find a way to widen the RIM to 3.5" from 3", with the MU/90 or 140/90 tire, it's about as wide a tire we can get. They(Dunlop) recommends a 3.5" wide rim for their wider tires, like the E3 comes in a 150/80-16, puts it about 6.27" wide, but requires that larger RIM! I'm not sure if trying to put it on a narrower rim would cause it to flex more or not allow it to expand to it's proper width, so we might not get the full width we would be hoping for not to mention improper handling!? The MU/90=140/90 is 5.57" wide, that's only 1/2" narrower than the WIDE E3!! And with blackwalls, I don't have to worry about frame rubbing! I've got RWL now, and I still don't WORRY about it!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham

Comment

That seems like alot to hang over if your tires are more than 2 x as wide as your rims. Does not seem like 20mm would make that much difference. Are you running a 140mm rear or a 130mm right now with the RWL? I have the 130mm w/o RWL. Wish I would have gone a little wider.
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

Pretty hard to retro-fit a wider rim onto our scoots huh?
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

I don't know, maybe I'm a sissy, but I haven't gotten to the edges of my 130's yet!

Comment

Sissy!! lmao.

Interesting though, never thought about it like that!
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

Travis,

I'm running the 140 RWL's, I had that same size when I had my previous Elite II's. ONLY the RWL's are getting rubbed, the actual sidewall is fine!

Randy, you're no sissy, but I have gotten pretty far over on my 140's, having scraped both my megaphones and my centerstand lever! When I put new tires on Basket Case, I'll be ordering the BW style, but will go 140!

I saw a post by a fellow IIRC in OZ that had actually cut off the old rim, and had BOLTED on a wider rim, for a sidecar rig, not sure if I'd trust it for high speed riding!? I know there are bolt together rims, but a solid rim/spoke combo is much more comforting!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham

Comment

Working...
                    X