New Dunlops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Dunlops

Went to the Yammie store today to get some tires and ordered 2 new Dunlop 404's. Anyone use these? I liked the price difference in those and the elite II's. I am not a really agressive rider, mostly back and forth to work or the gym and the occasional poker run. Anything has to be better than what I have now. I almost have racing slicks on the front!

I have been going there for several years now and usually need parts b/c the bike is not running right, since I rode the bike today the service desk guy was very excited to actually get to see it in person. I think that it is the oldest running bike that they deal with regularly! Had quite a few people come out to look at her. They were pretty impressed. Maybe after the new tires I will charge for rides?

Travis
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

How much did they hose you for the tires?

Comment

Dunlops

I hope that the 404's are better than the Dunlop Arrowmax 501Fs that I have on two of my bikes (xs11 Special and xj650j). They have a strange scalloped wear pattern on both sides of the tread area that the dealer says is tire pressure related.
      I check my the pressures at least once a week and rarely have to add air.
      What else could cause this pattern? I've also cross checked my gauge with several others.
      Walt
      80 XS11s - "Landshark"
      79 XS11s
      03 Valkyrie
      80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
      78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
      81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

It is going to be 160 for both tires. 100 dollars to mount and balance both tires. I had a back tire done there and thought that I would save some money bringing the wheel to them? NO. they charged 37 to mount and balance it if it was off of the bike, and 50 if it was on the bike. It is well work 13 dollars to let them take off the wheel and put it back on!

Travis
        Travis Miller
        1978 E

Comment

Hey Hobbitt,

Check out this article: motorcycle tire wear patterns .

Also, another article I read talked about how just a 5 lb underinflation can reduce tread life by 25%!! And that the Manufacturer(Yamaha) pressure recommendations may not be the optimal pressure for durability and control. They quoted that the Honda Valk recommended pressure of 33PSI was for maximum COMFORT..soft ride, but minimal tire life, they found that pressures of front/rear 38/40 or 40/42 greatly increased the life of the tires!!

Cupping is a normal wear pattern due to the grooves and tread design, but gets exaggerated and accelerated with UNDERINFLATION!
          T.C.
          T. C. Gresham
          81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
          79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
          History shows again and again,
          How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

tire wear

Thanks T.C.
            According to that, the wear is front cornering with a complex tread pattern.
            I will try higher pressure and see what happens.

Walt
            Walt
            80 XS11s - "Landshark"
            79 XS11s
            03 Valkyrie
            80 XS Midnight Special - Freebee 1
            78 Honda CB125C - Freebee 2
            81 Suzuki 850L - Freebee 3

Comment

Travis
              I got a set of new 404's last summer for the exact reasons you did. I've been happy with them, but I also just started riding last summer so I wouldn't really know the difference between these and any others. Put a 110 on the front because he couldn't get a 100 at that time. (130 rear). Mine were $160 for both mounted and balanced from my local bike mechanic/racer guy! I've been doing 38/40 psi.
              80 SG
              81 SH in parts
              99 ST1100
              91 ST1100

Comment

Wow he must not have charged much to mount and balance! I thought that I was getting a deal.

The bad thing is that I really trust this dealership. They have done good balancing before for me, and I want them to do it again. I guess that I will just have to pay!!

I had a Bridgestone battleaxw on the rear and was happy with it, but it sure did not last long. 2 Seasons I think. I seem to go through 2 backs to one front. Hope to get a little more distance out of these new ones
                Travis Miller
                1978 E

Comment

Parr8hed, you sure you're not "leaving a little rubber behind" when you take off? (showing off to those HD heads"

Comment

2 rear and one front is normal. That is what I have been able to do since day one, in 1978 and my first XS1100.
                    I just put on am elete II front, and I'm waiting for the Metzler to wear out on the rear. It seems to last a looong time, but I don't like the handling.
                    I paid $110 for the front, mounted and balanced, with me bringing in the wheel.
                    Ray
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG
                    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I may switch to something a little more agressive next time. Not even sure how I will like these yet. I plan on doing the suspension this winter (fork brace, progressive springs and shocks) but not sure that super agressive tires would be right with this 26 year old suspension! Figured that I would go the cheaper route this time. Like I said, has to be better than what I have now.

KevinL I am not leaving any rubber behind, but I would love too! I have not done a burn out but if I knew how, I am sure that I would try now that I know that new rubber is just around the corner!!! I think that I have the basics, high rpm, clutch in, front brake on, let clutch go.... I am just too chicken to try!!! All of the COOL KIDS are doing it (biker build off guys, etc.)
                      Travis Miller
                      1978 E

Comment

I know what you mean, I've got enough age behind me to respect my bike, and all the power it has. I know how easy it is for a bike to "get away from you" if you are not carefull.

Comment

Travis, if you look closely whe they do the bur outs, you'll see that the front wheel is butted up against something so they don't have to hold the brake, and it won't get away from them. Besides, the cost of a tire is nothing to these guys.

Comment

..what you do is put your legs in front of the foot pegs[standing up butt off the seat] having a firm grip on the front brake and pushing down on the handle bars dump the clutch your legs help the front brake to keep the bike from moving forward and she will break loose, after it breaks loose and the tire is spining its no effort to hold the bike from going forward...
                            .. if you leave it in first gear and not smoke it too long your tire should be good for quite a few of these... if you start shifting gears and get er up to say 3rd you will get the best smoke show... two-three times doing it this way and your tire is done
                            ... i put the front tire up against somthing once it was the wall in side somones living room only because i couldnt get good traction with front tire on the lanolium

Comment

.. oh yeah, the softer the tire compound the better the smoke show
                              but softer compound =more $

once youve done one or two you will see how really easy it is, our bikes are pretty torquey
                              and you will show the young guys how much hair the old guy has on his balls

Comment

Working...
                              X