No announcement yet.

New Dunlops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the older more mature side of me that is getting grey hair and now has his first kid is saying "are you actually listening to this stupid advice? Surely you are not going to try it?"

The younger more stupid side of me that still grins every time I twist throttle and take her to redline is saying " just as soon as the rain is done I am there!"

Thanks for the info, Now would be the time to try a stupid, hair-brained fun as hell stunt like that. I don't think that I would do it with brand new tires!
    Travis Miller
    1978 E

Comment

YOU-DA-MAN a fitting end to a GOOD TIRE like the vikings did for their dead burn um... and the mark left on your drive way/street =priceless

Comment

Parr8hed

I had heard alot about Avon tires so when my Dunlop's were ready to be changed out I went and got me some Avon's. You had said you would'nt mind trying a more agressive tire next time maybe. Boy I tell you, these Avon Venom X tires are great. Hold the road well, wet or dry. Been on about a year and a half, still look almost brand new. Corner's great, and I take corner's fast. My XS11 is setup more like a sport bike, with drag bars. So you know I ride it hard. The faster the better. I have a 110x19 on the front and a 140x17 on the rear, tubeless. If you get a chance to try them out, I think you will like'em.
        Chris 79 XS11F With mods....!!!!!! 2005 FXST Harley Softail

Comment

Parr8,
          That's the windshield I'm putting on my Midnite Special. I swapped the buckhorns for superbike bars, a little taller than yours.
          Great looking bike there!
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

thanks for the info on those avons. maybe i will give them a try. 140's on the back? No rubbing? Good looking bike there.
            Travis Miller
            1978 E

Comment

Well I dropped her off at the Dealership today to get fitted for her new shoes. I will let you all know how they perform when I get her back. I am praying for rain now (since I don't have anything to ride.) Anyone want to loan me a bike for a couple of days?
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

Come to Revelstoke, Travis, and you can have your pick!
                Ken Talbot

Comment

soooo tempting.... Oh wait wife, kid, job. Yep back to reality. Thanks for the offer though
                  Travis Miller
                  1978 E

Comment

somthing is wrong

got the bike back today. Rode her home approx. 5 miles. some interstate, mostly city streets.

First impression of the tires, they look great. The back tire is nice and rounded, not squared off like some. Good looking tread pattern. Ride is good, nice and smooth at 55 mph. Will wait to get a couple hundred miles on them and then try to be agressive with the twisties.

Now for the bad news. Something is rubbing up front. Sounds like the calipers are sticking. They were not when I took it in 3 days ago. When I apply the front brakes it is much worse. it is a metalic grinding kind of sound. almost like when the brake pads are worn down. Not sure why it went from working perfect when I took it in to this now. I guess that it could be pads, I have never replaced them. Bike has 35 K miles and I have put on 17 K of those. I will investigate more this evening when I have time and try to shed some light on this. Any thoughts before I go investigating?
                    Travis Miller
                    1978 E

Comment

went investigatin'

The outboard side of my left caliper is dragging the rotor. Actually it is the bracket that the caliper bolts to that is dragging on the rotor. The pads look great. Lots of room left there. It seems as if the rotor is too far to the left, not centering up. The right side is fine. See pics. Any thoughts on what to do here? (other than take it back and yell/cuss/scream? I would not really do that, but sure would feel good!

<a href="http://www.photodump.com/viewer/parr8hed/caliper2(1).html">caliper2(1).jpg</a>

<a href="http://www.photodump.com/viewer/parr8hed/caliper2.html">caliper2.jpg</a>
                      Travis Miller
                      1978 E

Comment

http://www.photodump.com/viewer/parr8hed/caliper2(1).html">caliper2(1).jpg</a>

trying to figure out how to post pics
                        Travis Miller
                        1978 E

Comment

Travis,

Easy fix here. Loosen the pinch bolts at the base of the left fork and push the fork inward until the disc is evenly spaced in the caliper mount. tighten the front pinch bolt first ( torque specs ) and then the rear. Done.

Yeah, then go back and scream at them.

Comment

Randy,

You are going to have to come up with something a little harder than that! Something that does not make me sound this stupid!! LMAO! Went out and had it fixed in 15 min. including getting out the tools and putting them away. I feel like I should have easlily figured that out! I guess that I was clouded by anger over that shop messing up my bike!!

Anyway so far these tires feel real good. I am not sure that the back one grips quite as well as the Bridgestone did in currves, but the front tire is loads better than the generic one that was on there. Highway speeds are smooth as silk. The one thing that I notice is that coming out of a corner if I "drop the hammer" the rear tire hooks up real well. Almost no sideways sliding action at all. So I am pleased so far for the money, now lets see how long they last!!!
                            Travis Miller
                            1978 E

Comment

so did you go with a 140 rear, i just can't see it fittin on mine, there is just enough room fro a hair with the 130?
                              79 xs1100sf
                              79 firebird
                              85 f250 truggy

Comment

Travis, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked!

I went with the 130 RWL Elite II's. Can't beat the look and feel of the Dunlop's.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                                X