No announcement yet.

bike value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You still need a pickup coil?? You can order the whole thing new from bike Bandit,,,like maybe 100 bucks,,US,,,,Took me 10 days to get it,,,,,,,.
    Ken Krieger
    Chesterfield, Va.
    81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
    82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
    82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
    79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
    1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
    85 XJ700 Maxim
    06 VMax - Black Max
    85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

You have posed a good question that has rattled through my brain more than once. My opinion is that if you are looking at your cycle purely for profit, then a fresh quality paint job (even custom with airbrushing) will give you the quickest sale and highest selling price. My opinion also is if your cycle is close to stock when you purchase it, you are better off value wise to persue the stock restoration route. If I by a bucket of bolts then i want to make my own statemnt about what i think that cycle should be.
      Remember you are the artist and the cycle is your canvas and your wallet is yours. Have fun whatever you do with it! I bought
      my xj to fix and sell and this is the 1st cycle i would really have a lot of trouble selling- this cycle has impressed me.

xjguy-still thinking about my paint job.

Comment

Guess I gotta hybrid - - -

- - - which, oddly, since I did the work myself, I only realized when I read this string.
        All my changes have been to specialize my XS11SG for hauling a sidecar
        but I have kept all the parts I took off just in case I might want to put the bike back into solo trim.
        Except the stock airbox. I gave that away.
        And I trashcanned the original fabric-reinforced brake lines. Keeping those is about like keeping used engine oil.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Wow... I think this thread takes the record for the biggest resurrection! All the way from 2002!
          1980 XS850SG - Sold
          1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
          Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
          Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
          -H. Ford

Comment

Give the man a break, he's been thinking about that for 7 years.
            1980 SG. (Sold - waiting on replacement)
            2000 XJR1300. The Real modern XS11. Others are just pretenders.

Woman (well, my wife anyway) are always on Transmit and never Receive.

"A man should look for what is, and not for what he thinks should be" Albert Einstien.

Comment

The sum of it's parts ...

My 1100 came with stainless steel 4 int 1 (SuperTrapp), braided stainless brake lines, progressive front fork springs and stabilizer, Icon shocks, Lockhart oil cooler, undercut tranny gears, head work, 5 angle valve job, bigger carbs, and a custom sissy bar.

The cost of those mods exceeds the value of the bike today, seriously, blue book on these bikes is under $1000 and many of you have gotten your bikes for less than half of that.

Those modifications played a big role in my getting the bike at all, without them I might have passed. The sissy bar was the most important part on the bike to my wife, me not so much.

` Doug
              1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special - induction and head work, bored w/ Wisco pistons, SuperTrapp 4 into 1 stainless exhaust. This bike was built by someone who knew what to do - it flys

1978 SR500E - pristine stocker

1978 SR500E - soon to get cafe style makeover

Comment

Value of an xs, custom or stock is in the eye of the buyer. A factory looking custom or a stock factory is worth $500 to the general public and $5000 to the guy that wants it. It's not hard to find good ones on craig's list for $500 from a guy that just doesn't want it. (as long as you don't get shot)Take the same bike and list it on ebay. It gets looks from all over the country by people that do want it and the price goes up and up. I've never lost $ on an xs11 but then I don't sell them locally.
                79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                79 DT 100

Comment

The value of my MNS comes in the enjoyment of riding it. Even my cardiologist agreed that it was a great asset to my rehab.
                  1980 XS1100LG Midnight
                  1991 Honda CBR1000F Hurricane

"The hand is almost valueless at one end of the arm if there be not a brain at the other"

Here's to a long life and a happy one.
                  A quick death and an easy one.
                  A pretty girl and an honest one.
                  A cold beer and another one!

Comment

I'm with Newbie. My bikes value is totally based upon my enjoyment!

Deny
                    1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                    1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

To me, it really depends on the condition of the bike. Most that you find need work to get them road worthy, let alone looking nice. For those, I wouldn't pay much, maybe $500. Every once in awhile you find one in really nice condition ready to ride. Those are worth much more IMHO. But since I am cheap and poor, I buy the first type and fix it myself.
                      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
                      '82 XJ1100
                      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Working...
                      X