bike value

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bike value

It seems that when a bike is new, it adds to it's value to upgrade with aftermarket parts, but the older a bike gets, it is more collectable the closer to stock it is. I'm curious which people would pay more money for: a stock bike or one with mods such as progressive forks/shocks, 4-1 headers, SS brake lines, etc. (assuming it's the same bike in really good condition).
    Completely stock (very good condition)
    53.42%
    With aftermarket upgrades (VG condition)
    46.58%
    Robert
    79 SF

Depends on the 'upgrades'. Springer front end, lowered suspension, 'custom' wiring are all detriments (to me) in looking at an older bike, would prefer stock. Messing with cabs or exhaust is a warning flag but not necessarily an automatic pass. Better shocks/springs/ss brake lines, fork brace are all plusses.
    Jerry Fields
    '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
    '06 Concours
    My Galleries Page.
    My Blog Page.
    "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

I agree with Jerry, well thought out common mods make a bike more valuable. Hacked up, or unpopular mods (say a giant cigar store indian bolted to the rear fender or something like that) would make a bike less valuable. Would a stanger pay more for good mods?...NOPE. Do they make it more valuable to me....YEP. If the person you are selling to really knows these bikes and you have done proven mods AND done them correctly then yes it would make a difference.
      Gary Granger
      Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
      2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

I guess I'd pay the same...
        If the bike would have mods, I'd point it out and lower the price... the same if the bike didn't have any mods...

LP
        If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
        (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

What prompted me to ask is that I got my bike in excellent stock condition. As I replace parts with mods such as 4-1 headers, nice oval mirrors, SS brake lines, etc., I'm wondering which will ultimately be of more value, keeping the stock parts or selling them off.
          Robert
          79 SF

Comment

Just keep in mind that there is really nothing you can do that will improve the resale value of these bikes above what the next bike goes for. I've seen pristine bikes and beaters sell for $500-2000US. I've seen a fair number of bikes listed for above $2000 (some as high as $3500-5000) but I really doubt they went for anything like that. You will probably NEVER get your money back out of your bike. But hopefully you will get every dime back in enjoyment of your bike.

Remember, this is your bike. Try to believe that the next owner will HATE everything you've done. But don't let that influence your decision to modify your bike until it satisfies you.

Comment

Sage advice JP. I actually paid in the upper 2k for my bike cause it was in pristine condition, it was the bike I wanted, the PO wouldn't negotiate, and I was itching to ride again after a 2 year hiatus. That's why the concern for retaining my investment. But I can honestly say it's already paid for itself in enjoyment. What I am wondering is would keeping the stock parts I've replaced (exhaust pipes, mirrors) add more to the value of the bike than what I could get by selling them off.
              Robert
              79 SF

Comment

Robert,

If you decide to sell those parts, I might be interestred in the stock exhaust pipes.

Bob
                #1 ’79 XS11 Special
                #2 ’79 XS11 Special
                '97 V-Max
                '01 Dyna T-Sport

Comment

Robert,
                  If you thinking is to sell the bike at some point,,,,,keep the parts,,,as it would keep the value up.imho. But as Mr Honeywell has already said its your bike, you should set it up the way you want it. You will never get all your money back out of it. Unless of course you run into yourself when and if you sell it. The other thing to consider is you may need those parts sometime down the line,,in case of a spill, or a drop. You never know.
                  My .02
                  Ken Krieger
                  Chesterfield, Va.
                  81 XS1100SH - Radar Rider
                  82 XJ1100J - Black and Blue
                  82 XJ1100J - Bucket o Bolts
                  79 XS1100SF - Road Raider
                  1980 XS1100 - Frankenbike
                  85 XJ700 Maxim
                  06 VMax - Black Max
                  85 650 Nighthawk

Comment

sell parts/keep parts?

robert,

you raise a couple of interesting questions. first off, i am in basic agreement with jerry and gary. intelligent mods, better engineered parts, internal parts, these add value, IMO. i'd rather see a set of OEM slotted rotors on a 78E than drilled ones. updated springs/shocks are a bonus, i.e. i know people who pull some original parts and put them aside, not wanting to risk them being damaged.

on the other hand, as an example, a 4-1, rejetted carbs, and a chopped up airbox makes me think the PO is a hotrodder, and maybe the bike was beat more than it shoulda been. FFT, is my point.

assuming i dont know either owner, i'd favor the stock bike, then make whatever mods i hadda have, like you are. however, i would definitely keep the stock parts, as backups if nothing else.

my own bike is an amalgam of several, as you may know. however, what i started with was a BAD LOOKING bike. not the same scenario at all.

and as JP put it, it's YOUR ride, make it the way YOU want it.

*throwing his .02 into the hat*
                    - dan
                    - thinker57@lycos.com
                    - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

almost forgot, strom's comment on his bargaining technique got a MAJOR chuckle here... lol...
                      - dan
                      - thinker57@lycos.com
                      - SF/H/E/HD "Stray Bullet"

Comment

I'll modify the bike as it suits me and hold onto the stock parts. Thanks for the input.
                        Robert
                        79 SF

Comment

so you mean to say that if I put in a wiseco big bore kit, mac4>2, rebuild the top end, replace the gaskets, redo the wiring, repaint the bike, etc - that I can't expect to get my money back???? shucks! I guess I'll have to keep my XS11 after all!
                          Cheers,
                          Lazer

81XS11H
                          why not?

Comment

Originally posted by lazer
                            so you mean to say that if I put in a wiseco big bore kit, mac4>2, rebuild the top end, replace the gaskets, redo the wiring, repaint the bike, etc - that I can't expect to get my money back???? shucks!

Maybe not, but you could probably win it back from betting your 23 year old bike could outrun the majority of new bikes out there!
                            Robert
                            79 SF

Comment

OK... bike value... got mine for 260$, put it together, bought/replaced stuff for 500$, wouldn't sell under 2500$ at this point.
                              Still need a pick-up coil to start it...

LP
                              If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                              (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Working...
                              X