Emblems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emblems

I done the refinishing of the tank emblems today by spraying the gold and brushing the black------ never again! I’ll mask the letters off and spray them before I use that dinky little brush again. Talk about a major PITA. I still might use a liquid mask on the top of the letters and spray the black to get smoothed edges.

Louis

My motor: http://lsippell.com/page3.html
    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
    '82 XJ1100J
    LED Dir and running lights
    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
    Modulated H/L
    PIAA Driving lights
    YICS Eliminated
    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Pic didn't work. Try again please.

Comment

Louis,

You should wait as long as you can for the gold to dry. I waited a week and got good results.

Also, be careful of the combination of laquer / enamels and the order in which you use them.

For instance, laquer will dissolve enamel, so you never want to attempt to paint laquer over enamel.

The reverse is OK, though, an enamel over a laquer works fine.

I did the sequence thus:

Gold in laquer spray. waited a week.

Black flat in enamel w/ brushes and a syringe to get in the fine valleys that border the letters. ( I have a standard ). Waited two days.

Gloss clear enamel overcoat.

Comment

Nice work, Randy. I'm thinking about re-doing mine with gold leaf. Have you ever used it? I have seen it used on some of the biker build off's and on other DIY shows. It doesn't look to difficult. But then again, those are the projects that can really kick your butt. It's like at my job. If I pick a job that looks easy, it winds up kicking my butt all day.

Comment

emblem

Pic didn't work for me either,,,,WOW ,,,, clean and cool Randy!!!!!!!

Comment

Damn Randy, forget the emblems. That motor looks NICE!!

Hows about I send you some oxidized engine side covers and a case of beer, and you......... aw forget it. I was thought though.
            Mike

1980 SG "Angus"

Comment

Wow great looking bike. Does it run well without spark plug wires? Is that some new tech tip that I am missing out on?
              Travis Miller
              1978 E

Comment

Travis;
                I was just thinking about how well it would run with the open vacum lines on #3, and probably #2.
                Ray
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Ok, wise guys and how about without petcocks?

Comment

emblems

Hey Randy,,,,talk about blindrers,, OR maybe JEALOUSLY,,,the pic was about emblems not running bikes but jealousy reared it's head!!!!!!!!!!1 Maybe few more bikes are getting the attention they deserve now (aka WASH AND WAX)

Comment

Randy;
                      I just wish I had the time to try and bring my '79 back even close to what your bike looks like. My emblems don't have the plastic in one piece, or all there! I know you've put in many hours of work into your bike. I'll be doing the same, just over a longer period of time.
                      At the moment, my bike is my only way to work and back. It will be completely rebuilt, it just may take another year or two. I hope to have it looking like a new machine once again.
                      Ray
                      (the green is showing!!)
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

You're right, Louis, is is a real PITA

When I did mine, I found the magnifiers and good worklight to be absolutely critical. I did the gold first, clearcoated it, then painted the black over the clear. A final shot of clear helped smooth out the fine brushstrokes.
                        Ken Talbot

Comment

Done them again!

I redid the black on my emblems today. I used a 1/4" wide flat brush and PVA mold release. It took about 10 minutes to cover the gold on the letters then sprayed them with low luster black. Let them dry an hour or so and used water and a rag to clean the black off the letters. A total of 15 minuets compared to over 1 ½ hrs. last night!

I don't know why the link is giving you trouble. I've deleted the original from my computer to make sure it's not trying to redirect to my hd.

Louis
                          "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                          brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                          '82 XJ1100J
                          LED Dir and running lights
                          LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                          Modulated H/L
                          PIAA Driving lights
                          YICS Eliminated
                          750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Judging by that "Sight Window", won't run too long without oil, either. I just had to comment on something. I got tired of counting all the places that I could see his reflection in. Man, that's a CLEANNNNN bike!. Everyone's emblems look so nice. Why do mine look like.... I did them myself? hehehehe Thanks all for the painting tips, though.
                            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The wierd thing is that there are no reflections of his face. Perhaps he painted all the reflections on the chrome just to make us think the bike is as clean as it looks!!
                              Don
                              99 Valkyrie Interstate named Drakker

81 XS1100 H Peppylebleu sold and gone to a good home

81 XS1100 Midnight Special Peppyledeux sold and gone to another great home

Comment

Working...
                              X