rings/gaskets etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rings/gaskets etc

What is a reasonable price for rings and new gaskets all around on a 79 XS1100?
    Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
    The Rats
    Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Stock rings, or over size rings are not available anymore...However, there have been some 1st oversize ones on ebay lately, in fact I bought a set a few weeks ago myself. Gaskets sets are on ebay, and some other aftermarket suppliers. I bought a set for mine last spring for $66.

Comment

Thanks! how about labor to do a full ring and gasket job?
      Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Well Doc, how deep are your pockets? Most dealers won't touch them, which is a good thing. Look for an independant repair shop, and start asking in there. Ask their hourly repair rate, or ask if they can quote you a price for the job. Shop around. Ask Thumper if he could recommend any one in his area. Find out who the indy shops use to do there machining. That's what I did. It cost me $160 for a 2mm oversize bore for an 1179cc big bore kit. That was on top of the $350 I paid for the pistons and rings. Then the hard to find Stock head gasket set, and...Should I continue? I had $900 in mine before I realized it.

Comment

Amazing, 900 was what I was quoted on the whole shebang... minus the big bore, which I want as well.. this is an independent shop, I have a really good feeling about the work they do... my pockets are not very deep, that will be some months in the future... in the meantime I am getting the brakes fixed (they drag) and a new front fork/seals... that way, I figure I will be laying down a smoke screen, but should be OK as long as I keep the oil topped off...
          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

I guess I am crazy to hope to get this beast back to prime condition... maybe $4K into it by the end??? My brother wants a Harley Davidson, and will pay over $20K for it... I guess I am not the craziest one, eh? Or maybe craziness runs in families...

PS, even though I am a Dolphin fan, I was happy to see the Pats come out ahead again!
            Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

The $900 was just the cost of the parts and machine work. I did all the work myself. I did the cam chain, new clutch fibers and springs, and 4 cans of engine paint, one main bearing and a second box of piston rings. Cut and paste on the webshots link in my signature, and you can see how far I had my engine torn down. If you end up spending 4k, then it will be worth it. Anybody can throw money away on an h-d. They're just a 'penis extension' anyway. Ride a twentysome thing year old bike. Ride something you made by yourself. Really be unique. Be different. There are too many h-d's in the way anyway.
              Last edited by John; 02-10-2005, 08:09 PM.

Comment

rings

I just ordered a set of standard rings plus numerous other items for the XJ1100 I'm rebuilding from Zanotti Motor Co. Only one item did they not have and their prices were the cheapest I could find. All the parts are genuine Yamaha NOS.
                "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                '82 XJ1100J
                LED Dir and running lights
                LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                Modulated H/L
                PIAA Driving lights
                YICS Eliminated
                750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Zanotti's has them? That's good to know. What is their cost?

Comment

Z

My order info is on my shop computer, but I think the 4 sets were about $105.00 but don't hold me to this.
                    Louis
                    "There is no mechanical problem so difficult that it cannot be overcome by
                    brute strength and ignorance" And possibly some Mouse Milk!
                    '82 XJ1100J
                    LED Dir and running lights
                    LED Tail/Brake lights (4) one flashing
                    Modulated H/L
                    PIAA Driving lights
                    YICS Eliminated
                    750 FD

Yamaha Factory X-1 Fairing and Luggage

Comment

Dr. Tim, no way you're going to go 4K into it unless you farm out all of the work. I can say that because I'm only 3K into mine. I started from junk.

Take a look Randy's XS11 page

Comment

Hey Jazzrat.
                        $900 does not seem to be a bad deal if it includes machining. You can ask the shop that if you supply the big bore kit which will cost probably about $400. Anyone know a good source for a big bore kit and difference in cost of parts if not going oversize?

Maybe if you hold off long enough, we can get a 2-1 special.

I can also check with SS cycles to see how much he would charge.

By the way, what are they charging for the brakes and seals?
                        Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

I found a link in a forum message for a Wisesco Big Bore kit from Pro-Flo. I think they are in the Tampa, FL area.

Pro-Flo

XS1100, 4 Cyl. 1179cc 78mm - 55.85mm
                          10.25:1
                          W-K1179
                          $365.95
                          Kit includes, 4 Pistons, Ring Sets, Wrist Pins, Circlips and 1 Graphite Head Gasket 1196cc 78mm - 55.85mm
                          10.25:1
                          W-K1196
                          $365.95

Whether they have them in stock or not, I have no idea.
                          Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Hi! I think the total for brakes and seals will be around $250, maybe less if they just adjust the brakes... they originally said the carbs need cleaning, but after checking they said they were good, and the compression was excellent, so that doesn't need to be done (all this is a good sign: when a shop tells you something DOESN'T need to be done!). They said that the smoking was maybe because an "oil ring was stuck", whatever that means... I won't be doing the rings/big bore deal for at least several months, maybe 3... I have to do a few gigs to get that kind of $$$ together! Until then, I'll be laying down a little smoke screen...
                            Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Here is a nice one that has the big bore kit (and a lot more!):

http://www.usa123.bizland.com/merriamcycle/hiperf.html
                              Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Working...
                              X