• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a nice, realistic one...

http://community.webshots.com/user/john80sg

And I spent $900 just on the engine.

Comment

for some reason I can't open it... can't even paste it in a new browser... I want to see!
      Dr. Tim Walters

Florida Atlantic University
      The Rats
      Full Flight Foundation, Inc.

"just put the trumpet down and slowly back away..."

"owned by a 79 XS1100 Special"

Comment

Ah, there is an extra http:// there...

Moderator note - link above has been fixed.

KT
        Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

That looked so fun, wouldn't you like to do another one? Like mine?

In order to give you this pleasure, I would consider a straight across trade for my gem in the rough...
          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

It kinda is fun, Doc. Especially since I did't have to rush to get it done. I still had a running engine in the bike. This one, the 1179cc big bore is an attempt to keep up with the wifes' FJ1100. Right now, I can dust her butt, but thats' only because her engine is scattered. She may be riding the Foster Child until she finishes work on her FJ.

Comment

Unfortunately, I will be having the shop do all the work... I am in the "can't change a light bulb" category... anything I try will cost double when I have to take it in and have it really fixed... also, no garage to lay all the parts out in at my place. Doesn't matter: i am committed to bring this thing back to its glory days (or get committed myself in the process!)...
              Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

If it is safe to ride, then wait until you have the parts, or the cash saved to do the work. That will save a lot of down time. Maybe spend a few bucks now, and it will be safe and ridable until you're ready to have the work done.

Comment

That is my plan exactly... the brakes and front fork now, so it will handle OK, they say it has great compression, just burns oil, so I figure I can keep the oil topped off for a while until I get the $$$ to get the engine redone...
                  Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Hey Dr. Tim,

You said that the Compression was great! IF the engine really has low miles, and just a stuck oil ring, it can quite often be loosened with the addition of Marvel Mystery Oil and some time running the engine. You could save plenty of $$ if they would try that FIRST! The Xs11 has plenty of power even without the Big Bore kit! This way, you could get many years and many 10's of K miles out of it before finally putting the big bore in it, which greatly thins the cylinder walls, adding to the easily increased heating tendency...especially in balmy Fla!

The pistons have 3 layers of rings around them, 2 compression rings on top, and then a 3 layered oil ring assembly on the bottom. The oil rings are to prevent the oil that is splashed and pumped up from getting past them into the combustion chamber, and the compression rings keep the combustion chamber gasses and pressure above the piston. However, from sitting a while, some oil sludge and stuff can get around the oil ring, and prevent it from expanding properly against the cylinder wall and scrubbing the walls to wipe the oil down, so it slips past the compression rings and into the combustion chamber, where it gets burned, and SMOKES.

And even though "THEY" said the carbs didn't need a rebuild, you'd be wise to put some Sea Foam in the tank and run a tankful of gas thru it, and then add it or Techroline Carb Cleaner every few tankfuls to help keep it clean and gum/sludge free!!

4 Years ago, I spent $160 for machining fees for 4 cylinders, around $500 for the big bore kit, which came with all rings, wrist pins, and oversized Head Gasket needed for the bigger diameter pistons. I reconditioned the head lapping the valves and replacing the seals as well as the rest of the mechanical work myself. With other mechanical and cosmetic additions, I put over $2300.00 into my Resurrection, and I did ALL the work myself!!

So...just thinking you might want to hold back on the $$ investments until after you get it running decent and get to ride it a while to find out if you think it's ENOUGH motorcycle for you!?
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

That was an excellent post! I haven't heard of the two products you mentioned: Marvel Mystery Oli and Seafoam... where do I get some?
                      Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

I googled them... now I am off to find some!
                        Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

PS I'd love to see some pics of your bike for inspiration... I am at jazzrat2000@hotmail.com if you have any!
                          Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Lemme see....
                            bout 30$ for honing and leveling the cylinders to the same size, gasket... main one was bout 25$ (made by a gasket guy, gave him the old one for measurements), the whole engine gasket kit is bout 50-60$ at louis.
                            Rings were yamaha OEM, got em at a dealer. I can find the bill if you really wanna know. Got it in the garage somewhere. Quite expencive stuff. I wanted a wiseco, but a big bore wasn't quite necessary yet. Works fine now.

LP
                            If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                            (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Thanks, that helps... after reading several posts and emails, I will give the bike a try at 1100cc for a while before deciding on the big bore... besides, I don't have the money to do it right now anyway... I am off to find Marvel Mystery Oil and Seafoam today, I love treasure hunts!
                              Dr. Tim Walters

The Rats

Comment

Probably too late, you're probably already on the hunt, but most boat supply stores as well as even Auto Parts stores may carry the Sea Foam, and MM oil has been found at Walmart even!

I sent you some pictures and a little video, hope you get them!
                                T.C.
                                T. C. Gresham
                                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                                History shows again and again,
                                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Working...
                                X