Wireless Lan info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by xssiveone

If you weren't so far away I'd take you up on it. Wireless is OK, but I'll still take hardwired over it anyday.
    we can just wait till next summer I'll bring it halfway to ya on the bike meet ya somewhere in NY but ya gotta buy me dinner be about 700 miles round trip for each of us.
    Russ Neal
    Milton, NH
    04 GL1800 ABS
    04 Kawasaki Concours(Sold)
    99 Royal Star Venture(Sold)
    80 XS1000 Special(Sold)
    83 XJ750 Midnight Maxim(Sold)
    80 XS1100G(Sold)
    81 XS 650 Special(Sold)

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me, probably somehwere around Rochester I would think. Hopefully this summer will be better then last summer.

And now I've got problems with my wired network. I can ping each computer from the other, but I can't ping the router from the 2nd one, and I can't get on the net with it either. I can access files on computer 1 from 2, but when I try to access files on computer 2 from 1, it asks me for a password.

Any ideas?
      Last edited by xssiveone; 01-03-2005, 04:12 PM.
      Brian
      1978E Midlife Crisis - A work in progress
      1984 Kawasaki 550 Ltd - Gone, but not forgotten

A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people
      remembering the same thing!

Comment

With all this talk about home networking I figured I would tell you about my problem:

The problem I have is my two computers lap-top (wireless card) and desk top (hard-wired) will share the internet but they do not see each other for file sharing, one is XP and the is XP pro. Been through the set-up many times and they still don't see each other. Called the tech line for Belkin and they told me if the internet worked then it was not thier problem. All I want is to be able to swap some pictures and use the home printer from my lap-top.

Who wants to talk me through it? I will figure it out sooner or later anyway.
        Gary Granger
        Remember, we are the caretakers of mechanical art.
        2013 Suzuki DR650SE, 2009 Kawasaki Concours 1400, 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille Tuono

Comment

In order for the computers to see each other, they must a)be part of the same workgroup, b)have the same subnet mask, c)have file and print sharing turned on. Hmmm... you DO have a drive or at least one folder shared on each computer? If not, go into my computer, c drive, and then right click on the folder you want to share. XP will ask you if you are sure, just say yes. Not a good idea to share a whole drive for security reasons.. especially with a wireless router.

I'm assuming you just have one router? Is it still set to factory default settings? ie DHCP server is on?

Go into command prompt on each computer and type the following: ipconfig /all

Compare what is on the screen on each. The ip addresses should be different, but the subnet mask should be the same on each one. If it's different, then type ipconfig /release, then ipconfig /renew on each one. What this does is tell the router that you are discarding the assigned iP addy, and then asking for a new one. You should have the same subnet mask on each one now. If you still can't get them to talk to each other, then see if they can at least 'see' each other. Again, type ipconfig /all in each one. On your laptop, type ping "insert IP# from desktop here" and do the same on the desktop, only insert the laptop IP addy.
          Brian

Comment

Well I tried that. They have same subnet mask and different IP's. Both are in the same workgroup, both have file and printer sharing on. I tried the ping and they don't see each other, times out 100% loss.
            Gary Granger

Comment

Hey Brian,

With your router, have you gone back into the setup program, and adjusted how many computers were to access your network, since you added your neighbors computer, you used to have only 2, and now you have 3?? I remember having to set how many computers were to be hooked up to the network and made active!? Sounds like the Router isn't allowing computer #2 access, both to the NET as well as the other computer/server!?
              The password request may be coming from the router, not the #1 computer!?

Gary, If you have your desktop hardwired to your Internet access, then how do you have your wireless carded computer setup to access, thru a wireless access point, or is your router a combo wireless and hardwire type? Also, have you checked or temporarily disabled your firewall if you have one, I've heard they can cause problems. I just didn't see enough info on your network setup....like your cable modem attached to a router/wired/combo??, then to your two computers!? Can the wireless access the NET?

I know almost diddly squat about networks, have learned a little since setting mine up, but not much!! Hopefully some other Network GURU's can chime in here?
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by sixtysix
                Called the tech line for Belkin and they told me if the internet worked then it was not thier problem.

I'm curious, is Belkin the ISP, or the router supplier? If they supplied the router/wireless card, I would think that it is indeed THEIR problem.

TC might have come up with a solution with the firewall suggestion. XP's firewall isn't the best. Shut it down and see if that makes a difference. The router should have it's own hardware firewall built in.
                Brian

Comment

I goofed around some last night,

Belkin is the router supplier. They do have an internal firewall.

Both computers will ping the router, but not each other.

All three have same network, workgroup name.

Windows firewall is off on both but the Norton firewall is active, I think i tried it with both of them off though.

Wireless card was installed by Dell in laptop.

Desktop is hardwired to router, the laptop is using wireless card. Both can access the internet fine.

I am not sure, really starting to get to me though since the network stuff is suppost to be easy with XP.
                  Gary Granger

Comment

Do both computers have the ip setup by DHCP from the router? Or did you give each a static IP? If both are accessing the internet, then they should be on the same network unless somehow the Belkin Router is segmenting the network preventing the two from talking.
                    Owned by a pair of XS11's. An 80 Standard and a 79 Special.

Comment

Originally posted by thumperjsa
                      Do both computers have the ip setup by DHCP from the router? Or did you give each a static IP? If both are accessing the internet, then they should be on the same network unless somehow the Belkin Router is segmenting the network preventing the two from talking.
                      Each one has a IP set by the router.
                      Gary Granger

Comment

Check the router and make sure the auto connections FROM the LAN are set to on. Sometimes that is all it takes. My son's machine didn't like my system, as I forgot to turn that on!

Ray
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Gary, stumbled across this site today. Got some really interesting stuff on it... might find a solution to your problem.

PracticallyNetworked
                          Brian

Comment

I looked at the site, Thanks....I started reading about my router and all this stuff and found that my Norton Firewall settings were wrong, duh! Anyway all is working well now....Thanks!! (Oh and sorry for the thread Hijack!)
                            Gary Granger

Comment

Wireless PCMCIA card problems!

Hey everybody,

Well, I fired up that "extra" Dell laptop I had recieved, and installed the drivers for the 802.11b/g wireless adapter card., and then used a hardwire connection to my Wireless Access point that I had been using with my first laptop, and added the MAC address of my second laptop's, wireless adapter card, and then tried to connect to the network, but it wouldn't connect, would never assign an IP address to the 2nd laptop. After futzing around with settings, and ensuring that I had everything the same as the first laptop, including the WEP access key, all to no avail, I tried the other adapter from the 1st laptop in the second laptop. And bingo, it worked, connected, and I'm typing this message using that combination.

I didn't even turn on the 1st laptop, just tried accessing the AP, and it connects almost instantly with the 1st laptop's adapter card, but WILL NOT connect with the 2nd laptop's adapter card, and I triple verified that I had the correct MAC address from it, even used the Network Status feature to see what the "physical" address was showing, and it matched what was printed on the adapter card!?!?

I even changed the security setup of my AP, to allow ANY connection, NO WEP authentication, no MAC authentication required, and again, the 1st adapter works, the 2nd doesn't!

So....does it sound like I have a faulty PCMCIA adapter card??

I think so, Any other suggestions??
                              T.C.
                              T. C. Gresham
                              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                              History shows again and again,
                              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

I have Linksys and one laptop is 98, the others are XP. I had to manually configure the 98 laptop to get it to work. Then clone the MAC address.
                                "We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey." "

Comment

Working...
                                X