Wireless Lan info needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TC;
    Maybe thats why you've got that laptop. Dell had some inside information about the reliability of that unit!!
    It saves someone from trying to fix it!
    Ray
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Hey there DiverRay,

Yeah, as Strom would say, it must be the Karma!?

Last tests, I first fired up the 1st laptop and the original adapter card, connected instantly to my network access point. I then disconnected, removed the adapter, and plugged in the adapter from the 2nd laptop into my 1st laptop, and it could never connect, ran the diagnostics and they ALL PASSED, and I'm positive I have the correct MAC address listed in the Access Point. As I stated, I even tried it with NO security on the Access Point, and it never received any packets from the access point!? It's like the antenna section is damaged/not connected??

I then removed it, replugged in the 1st adapter, and it automatically connected to the network.

So...I found an 802.11g AT&T brand card on CompUSA with $27.00 Instant online savings, final price with tax/shipping=$18.63, just have to wait about 1 week to get it. I can use my 1st laptop till it arrives! I'll post again when I get it, and IF it works or NOT!?
      T.C.
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Just an Update, not that anyone really cares!!

I got the AT&T Wlan card, removed the DELL WLAN software and hardware drivers, then installed the new cards drivers and software into the 2nd laptop. Then using the other laptop, accessed the Access Point's setup, added the MAC address of the new card. Then, in the 2nd laptop, I programmed in the access Key for Key #1, and tried to access the AP, and it wouldn't access!? I then reprogrammed the 2nd laptop's access wizard using the 2nd Key #, and it then connected right up!!

I'm typing and accessing the FORUM right now using the 2nd laptop. I had tried that 2nd access key on the other WLAN card, and it didn't work.

But, I'm also curious, the Netgear AP only had 4 different security key's that it showed, however, the literature stated that it could handle up to 32 computers, but I'm wondering how it(AP) would handle all of them with only 4 different Key #'s!? Oh well, I'm just happy to be able to now use both computers at the same time with the AP!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

??????????????

Hey TC! What the *&$#% language was that written in? I could only understand about every fifith word. Sounds to me like the free 'puter is more hassle than it's worth.

Comment

I know I'm off-thread but I wanted post #600 (for me).
            Pat Kelly
            <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
            1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
            2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
            1999 Suburban (The Ship)
            1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
            1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Working...
            X