No announcement yet.

Need Encouragement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Side cover emblems are like tank emblems, only more finnicky...
    Ken Talbot

Comment

Hey there Slacker,

I've got the same bike!! Well, sorta, mine is now a RatBike! BTW, I redid my side emblems, used silver model car paint for the chrome looking parts. I sanded down the remnants of the chrome that was left! I sprayed them with gloss black paint first, then sanded surface of letters, then hand painted them with the silver. Not as shiny as chrome, but still has good contrast!

I got mine NEW in 83 with 15miles on it for $3200.00!! Drove it for 9 years, then tranny crapped out, parked it, neglected it for 9 years, then put it in the garage and tore into it, new topend, lots of cosmetic parts and such, sunk another $2300.00 into it!!!! Have ridden it for the last 3 years, 5 rallies, and still going strong!

Oh, and I wrecked it a couple of times, 1 my fault, new cruise control, not enough following distance at 55+mph, and sudden panic stopped traffic just over a hill on the hwy! Mostly roadrash on me and bike The other was stupid cager turned in front of me going 35mph, plowed into front bumper, forks into engine, etc, me over handlebars and her hood, and into her windshield, bounced off!!
      Ride it and enjoy!!!!
      T. C. Gresham
      81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
      79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
      History shows again and again,
      How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Now that's what I call encouragement, Topcat!
        Was she blabbing into a freakin' cell phone [read:cordless umbilical] when she right-angled you?
        Sorry; got a little carried away there.
        '81H
        '77 GS750
        '80 ATC 200
        '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Paint em all gold, then fill in the black stuff after the gold paint dries.
          Worked for me, but I got em gold painted alredy.

LP
          If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
          (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

Nice to be back on the road again isn't it. I recently bought an XS1100lg after not riding for about 20 years. I have had it about a month and have put over 1,100 miles on it. I have 4 kids, 2 boys 17 and 15 and 2 girls, 14 and 10. The girls love to ride but the boys will not get on.
            I was lucky. I found it for 1,500 and worked out a wiring problem (with some support from this board) and ran it through inspection.
            I have also dropped one years ago under the influence of things i don't do anymore. Lucky to be alive and loving it.
            I live in Maryland and I'm the guy with bugs in my teeth. Still can't stop smiling.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

Hey there TFM3,

Naw, that happened before the big Cell Phone debacle!! What I was trying to imply is that you gotta take your lumps and get back out there and keep riding!!! Just showing that I didn't let these incidents keep me from enjoying it!!!
              T.C.
              T. C. Gresham
              81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
              79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
              History shows again and again,
              How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Encourgement GETTING It to RUN!

Maybe I got Took! I payed $3000 for my 80 XS1100G.
                The bike was clean and polished so good it gleamed. The odometer showed all of 0.1 mi. The bike was three years old, a left over from the warehouse. It sure was a step up from my XS650 which I kept.

Now after 20 Years I am still riding the 80G, and commuting on it again. I have gone back to work, after retiring, for another five years at 68.

I bought a 79 XS1100 for $300, as a parts bike three years ago. It sat unloved till now. After carbs, brakes, battery, coils and $200 more, it is now running better that the 80G. I have a 60 mi round trip to work, all freeway here in L.A. and I can use the carpool lane. I just bundle up in the Winter.

Mileage wise; 80 XS1100G = 80K, 79 XS1100F = 38K, 83 XV920 = 70K. With 60-70K mi commuting the next five years, these bikes will just make it.

So you see, putting alittle time and money in a used bike, the 79F for me, Sometimes payes big benefits.

The secret to keep the older bikes running is good maintenance.
                I have Honda dirt bikes, 86 XR600 and 89 CR500 that go on 60-80 mi cross country rides across the Mojave desert in the middle of nowhere. This is where good maintenance really payes off.

Ride On,
                Rev Ern
                Ernie Elmore
                1815 N Tympani Cir
                Anaheim, CA 92807
                Ph: 714-340-3173
                email: xs11ernie-mc@yahoo.com
                Still Riding at 79 for ....
                1980 Yamaha XS1100G Std - Everlasting - sold (sob)
                1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago - Enduring - sold
                1993 Honda XR650L - Enduro - gave to Son

Comment

Encouragement

Thanks for all the encouragement guys. I love hearing the success stories. I pulled the Yamaha emblems off the tank over the weekend and repainted them. Still working on the black, but so far they look sweet. One was cracked a bit from cranking the screws too tight, so I filled the hollowed out portion of the letters on the back with epoxy. Looks better and is certainly stronger. The side emblems are next. Tipped the damn thing over in the garage yesterday (again). Gotta quit doing that. It doesn't take much of a bump to move it off the side stand. I started using the center stand. At work, I park right next to a new Harley V-Rod, and I don't even want to take the chance of tipping into that baby. Thanks again for everything guys.

Keep it unright.
                  Regards,
                  Slacker

Quote of the day: If you come to a fork in the road, take it. (Yogi Berra)

Comment

Yamaha Side Emblems

Yamaha Side Emblems same size as the tanks emblems, from Zanotti Motors. These are silver, not gold, and are for golf carts. Good news, around $10.00. Black plastic with silver letters. You can replace when faded, put on side covers or whatever.

http://www.zanottimotor.com/motorcycle.htm
                    Ask for John, say you are from xs11.com
                    Ernie Elmore
                    1815 N Tympani Cir
                    Anaheim, CA 92807
                    Ph: 714-340-3173
                    email: xs11ernie-mc@yahoo.com
                    Still Riding at 79 for ....
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G Std - Everlasting - sold (sob)
                    1983 Yamaha XV920 Virago - Enduring - sold
                    1993 Honda XR650L - Enduro - gave to Son

Comment

Working...
                    X