Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Encouragement

Hey folks:
    Just found you today and I could use some encouragement. I just purchased an '81 XS1100SH. It has a Vindicator on the front, good tires and ran rough when I test drove it. Shortly after I bought it, gas spewed from the carbs so I proceeded with a 368.00 repair including new needles/seats, from brake fluid scraped out and refilled, oil change etc. Took crap from my wife for days about that. Now it runs, but still runs a little rough. I spent too much on the bike (20/20 hindsight) and with the repairs it is really not my finest investment.

This is my second Yamaha ('67 twin jet 100) and I previously owned 3 other Hondas, with a 400 being the biggest.

Last week, (first week riding) the XS fell over on my wife's new car. Fortunately, only lost a little paint on the bumper. No major damage to the bike, although the Vindicator cracked on the bottom.

The bike has 29,000.

Can I drive this bike long enough to justify the purchase? Is it worth anything on trade? Should I be trading it for something newer?
    Regards,
    Slacker

Quote of the day: If you come to a fork in the road, take it. (Yogi Berra)

I've been riding my $500 bike for 13 years now. I don't know what you paid, but for my money, it's been worth it. Stick with it

Comment

Forget about what you paid for it, that was yesterday. Your XS will run for many miles you with simple maintenance. I have a '79 I picked up in very ruff shape, worked through all the problem and have since put 55K miles on it and is still going strong.

Check out the tech tip on this forum. Read up on all the good info and jump in. The folks on this list will help.

If you host a rally, a bunch of stranger will show up, drink all your beer, scare the neighbors, help you fix your bike, and ride all over the countryside. Ain't life grand!
      DZ
      Vyger, 'F'
      "The Special", 'SF'
      '08 FJR1300

Comment

I can identify. I bought my '79 for $1100 with the seller's assurance thought that I all I had to do was ride it. One month in the shop and $1500 later, I'm was finally riding it....and loving it! Yes, I spent more money than I would have preferred, but I truly believe it's worth every penny.

But then again, we're talking about an XS!
        '79 XS11F Standard

Comment

I'll tell ya, The $ spent, the time invested and the knowledge you obtain will make it all worth it. believe me, For example. You can spend $200.00 and let a shop do your carbs, and not have a clue how they work. and possibly still not be right. OR you can spend a little less then $100.00, do them yourself, and know how they work. PLUS you'll also have the self satisfaction of fixing them yourself.
          From the front wheel bearings to the tail light, You've got help right at your finger tips.
          S.R.Czekus

1-Project SG (Ugly Rat Bike)(URB)
          1-big XS patch
          1-small XS/XJ patch
          1-XS/XJ owners pin.
          1-really cool XS/XJ owners sticker on my helmet.
          2-2005 XS rally T-shirts, (Bean Blossom, In)
          1-XVS1300C Yamaha Stryker Custom (Mosquito)
          1-VN900C Kawasaki Custom (Jelly Bean)

Just do it !!!!!

Comment

In the first year or s you'll spend $500 - $750 minimum. Doesn't really matter what brand, what model. By the time you replace a battery, tires, brake pads, rebuild brake master cylinders, replace air filter, clean the carbs, sort out the electronics and replace the fuse block you will have gone through what many, if not most of us, have been through. Its kind of an initiation

Heck, what fun would it be if you bought a bike and everything worked?
            Jerry Fields
            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
            '06 Concours
            My Galleries Page.
            My Blog Page.
            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

It's worth it

I bought mine from a friend for $500.00 after working on it hard for 30 days. It had been sitting for about 6 years without ever being moved with only 6k miles. It was beautiful ran great after I was finished. Rode it everywhere for about 3 months, then I dropped it backing out of a 25 deg sloped driveway on the right hand side, top of tank pointing straight down the hill. It was running when it started to go over I tried to stop it of course and the throttle went wide open, right knee dented the tank bad, didn't help the knee either, then it finally hit the ground still running about 9500 on the tach. If you haven't already figured it out, the 60 degree cutoff switch didn't work and pumped all the oil out on the driveway in about 2.5 seconds, before I got my wits about me to shut it off. I'll tell you now XS11 motors are not to be run without OIL ever.
              The adrenalin was pumping big-time, I was so pissed, I reached down, stood the bike up by myself. I'm 5'6" and at that time about 170 lb's. I could not do it now if I didn't do it right.
              Started doing damage assessment. Then came the crying, Gas tank $100, fairing edging $35, windshield $30, bondo & paint bike myself $260, pin stripe it $200, & the best for last, my motor was locked up tight, thought I spun all the rod bearings, but no not that easy. After pulling the motor and going thru it I could not find the problem. Took motor only to a shop where the guy had worked on these years ago. He did it on the side at home for $400, luckily after he took it apart and put back together only 3 times he figured out it was the transmission that was locked up. One of the gears had friction welded to the main shaft and he didn't notice it. I looked at it in my hand and still could not tell what the problem was. I swear you could not see any discoloration, no build up, nothing. The Clymer and Haynes book was no help, they never showed all the gears off of the shaft, we didn't think it was supposed to come off.
              Anyway my $500.00 bike just went up to $1125.00. I had to look at the bright side.
              1) Learned allot about the bike I was riding
              2) Brushed up on body work & prep for paint
              3) Learned to paint
              4) Learned to not be afraid to do anything on this bike
              5) Learned never put myself in that position again
              6) Learned that gear is supposed to come off
              7) Learned about the Run Stop switch and not to trust the 60 degree cutoff switch
              8) Learned to pull and reinstall motor by myself
              9) Biggest lesson was, if it starts to fall before doing anything else use the Run Stop switch, well that may be wrong, get out from under it first
              10) Learned I really love this big, fast, lousy cornering, too tall, wind catching, shoulder separating, did I say fast already, I did but I'll say it again FAST
              11) Of course I did not have the luxury of this website or this wealth of knowledge
              12) Learned I'd rather spend money on it than any other hobby
              I wouldn't trade this bike for anything I've ever ridden in my life. It has been well worth it to own such a wonderful machine.
              There's always a way, figure it out.
              78XS11E

Comment

OK... so there's some work to be done... so what... it's worth it.
                My guess is... check and adjust cam chain tensioner. It's in the tech tips. Remember, these engines spin backwards. It's a 10 min job.
                Next, check for broken pick-up coil wires. In the tech tips too.
                Clean/replace the plugs.
                Sync. the carbs.
                Report back, we wanna know what is/was bothering the big gal...

LP
                If it doesn't have an engine, it's not a sport, it's only a game.
                (stole that one from I-dont-know-who)

Comment

35k on mine and I fully anticipate becoming a member of the 100,000 mile club someday. Far as I'm concerned the '81H's are the best of the lot. [slightly biased, I know.] Last one gave me 5 years of exhilaration and grief in equal doses; still I spent 7 years after it's demise looking for a replacement. Some of the best mountain cruising in the northwest is just a day trip from your locale, but you already know that. Once you get one of these things torn down and rebuilt you can fix anything. There is so much info and experience to tap into on this forum- well ,you'll find out soon enough. If you can drive it you've already made a good investment. Tell SWMBO at least it wasn't a Hogley. Try getting 100k out of one of those wallet bleeders. Early-mid '80's Gold Wings and Ventures are still fetching $3k-$5k around here.
                  '81H
                  '77 GS750
                  '80 ATC 200
                  '79SF [stolen]

Comment

Thanks All

Thanks for all your replys. I don't feel bad anymore. I bought the bike for $1500, knowing that was high end of book for one running great. The bike really is in good shape. It doesn't appear to have been laid down, but is does seem to have tipped over a few times. I looked for a long time. I passes on an 81 earlier in the year that had been laid down. Exhaust ripped from the block, side covers worn through from a slide. But when I saw this one, I said, I gotta have this one. Tank is in good shape, with no dents, but could use a paint job. (winter project) The front forks need work and frame parts need painting. Fenders are perfect, front lights are not original but are operational. The bike had side bags so there was wiring sticking out of the back. Has a rack on the back. Overall, after hearing from you folks, I probably didn't get a bad deal. I know my 14 year old wants to ride with me constantly. He LOVES the accelleration. Quite frankly, it IS a rush. I have been without a bike for the last 15 years, after a serious accident scared the crap out of me. Lucky to be alive. Back I am glad to be back on two wheels again. Thanks again, guys.
                    Regards,
                    Slacker

Comment

You could have purchased a new bike and had few worries for a year or two. Of course, your wallet might be $10K lighter.

I paid a bit more for my XS1100. It isn't perfect either, but it's a very nice bike. It's taken me 16 months to put 16K miles on it. It would be a lot more, but my 650 gets daily commuting duty. I'm pretty well pleased with the XS1100.

Hopefully, your accident taught you respect and will keep you on your toes. Just ride like everybody's trying to kill you and you'll be OK.

Peace
                      Marty (in Mississippi)
                      XS1100SG
                      XS650SK
                      XS650SH
                      XS650G
                      XS6502F
                      XS650E

Comment

Accident

Everyone IS trying to kill you, and usually tell someone about while they are on the cell phone. As life would have it, this accident was my fault. Early spring, wet road, late at night. I just drifted toward the center of the highway to hit a concrete median head on. Landed 35 - 50 feet down the highway on the back of my head. Fortunately, due to the cold temp, I WAS wearing a helmet. Rarely wore one otherwise. Now, I always do.

Regards,
                        Slacker

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, slacker. It has made me feel better about my own XS adventure and the costs associated. I guess it's true that misery loves company!

Anyway, here's a coupla pics of my investment!

'79 XS11F Standard

Comment

For anyone concerned about what they paid for their XS11, take solace, I paid $2700 for mine. It was in excellent mechanical & cosmetic condition however. Plus I was itching to get back into riding after laying off for a couple of years and this was the bike I wanted. It's comfortable, has classic styling, and is fast as hell. It's been worth every penny!
                            Robert
                            79 SF

Comment

Thanks Again

Thanks for the notes. Upright, is looks like you have a nice ride there. My is cosmetically close that shape, but my fairing is black. I have noticed that the side plate are specific to each model. Mine, for instance, say 'Eleven Special' I saw the post on redoing the Yamaha emblem but am unsure how to refinish the side emblems. My plan was to try to paint them, VERY CAREFULLY. Anyone else touched up or repainted the side emblems?
                              Regards,
                              Slacker

Comment

Working...
                              X