No announcement yet.

Site Upgrade Scheduled for 8/22 / Site Ownership Change / Gossip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll just say Thank You Nezzer. Being able to welcome new members will energize this forum once again.

Phil
    1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
    1983 XJ 650 Maxim
    2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

Nezzer - just saw this thread today. I am a long-time, but infrequent, poster here (I'll admit it, it's when something's wrong with my bike!).

I was terrified when I couldn't log into my account to make a post yesterday. It would be a great loss if we lost XS11.com.

Anyway, I'm a long-time IT infrastructure nerd. If there's anything I can do in that area, I'm more than willing.

Thank you for your work!
      79 XS1100SF

Comment

Very great news! So happy to hear this!
        Nathan
        KD9ARL

μολὼν λαβέ

1978 XS1100E
        K&N Filter
        #45 pilot Jet, #137.5 Main Jet
        OEM Exhaust
        ATK Fork Brace
        LED Dash lights
        Ammeter, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and Volt Meters

Green Monster Coils
        SS Brake Lines
        Vision 550 Auto Tensioner

In any moment of decision the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing.

Theodore Roosevelt

Comment

I am absolutely overjoyed that this site has a second or third wind. It is so important to XS owners all over the world. I , myself could never do such an undertaking and I admire a person who can. This is AWESOME news!
          2-79 XS1100 SF
          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

If Nezzer is on schedule we will soon know if XS11 has entered a new chapter.

Will it all hold together as we blast off together ?
            Hoping for the best. See you all on the other side

Phil
            1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
            1983 XJ 650 Maxim
            2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

I'll make my last post on XS11.com a toast to Nezzer!
              Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Just a reminder to all that in 3 hours I will backup the current forum database and start the process of setting up the new site. You can keep using xs11.com but any post made after 10 AM mountain time will not be transferred over to the new site.

I expect it to be a few days before the site goes live.
                '80 XS Special
                JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

The upgrade is complete. I am sure there will be more changes to be made, but the site is working. Here are some highlights:
                  1. New users can register
                  2. Emails should be working, including new user email address verification emails.
                  3. All site traffic is encrypted
                  4. We are running the absolute latest vBulletin software on Ubuntu 20.04, meaning we shouldn't need to make any more major changes for years.
                  5. Image upload works (more on that later)
                  6. Different site styles (look and feels) are available. Try the menu in the lower left corner
                  There are some catches however. For starters, while image upload in vBulletin works, you can only add a single image to a post. The configuration for image management is surprisingly complex. After a couple hours, I gave up on trying to increase that limit from 1 to 5 images. I will get back to that later. Also, even though I can confirm emails going out, I don't trust the contents. I hope the server is not trying to catch up on years of old email. Let me know if you are getting junk email.

Another gotcha, I have removed everyone but TopCat and myself from the Administrators group and I eliminated all super moderators. I did not delete any user accounts but I wanted to start with a known set of people with access to the admin stuff, then we can add more people back into those groups as we go.

I do not want to be a single point of failure. I plan to look for a long-time member to volunteer as a co-admin. This person would have access to do everything in vBulletin, on the server, and the server host (vultr.com).

After spending hours going through vBulletin settings, I am confident we are only using bout 1% of its available features. It is truly overwhelming. If you know of a feature we should be using, please let me know and I will see if we can enable it.

Final note, the $6/mo virtual machine wasn't cutting it. Our database is too large for doing taxing things like rebuilding our search index after the upgrade. I upgraded it to the $12/mo server which has double the RAM (2 GB), double the storage (64 GB NVMe), and double the monthly bandwidth (2 TB). Should help the site stay responsive.
                  '80 XS Special
                  JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

Well here we are. Flying along on v5.6.2
                    WoW, this is fantastic.

Yep, the 1 - 1 - 1 plan seemed a bit skimpy. 1 - 2 - 2 has us up and rolling.
                    ​​​​​​
                    Thanks Neezer for making this happen. We XSives sure appreciate you tackling this monster upgrade.
                    Haven't looked for a Donation bucket but when it is time to add some $$ let us know.

Jeff
                    Last edited by JeffH; 08-23-2020, 11:42 PM.
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E
                    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
                    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
                    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Awesome..All I had to do was log in...And here we are...Thankyou Nezzer! Bring TC Back pls....

Last edited by madmax-im; 08-24-2020, 04:47 AM.
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

YEAH !!!!!!
                        Last edited by Radioguylogs; 08-24-2020, 08:39 AM. Reason: Emoji not visible
                        -Mike
                        _________
                        '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                        '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                        '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                        '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                        '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                        '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                        '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Looking good, Nezzer; thank you!

I know you said you'd set redirects in for xs11.com to here.... I wonder, do you think you'll be able to redirect specific posts?

For example, if someone is looking for an old post, a lot of which are indexed... have it take you to the migrated post on xs11.club? Looking at the post #'s, I'm guessing not (that'd be a big project)?

79 XS1100SF

Comment

JohnStewart, once I setup the redirect on xs11.com to xs11.club, any links to the old forum will end up here. I will setup that redirect tomorrow night. I am waiting a bit in case some issues pops up on the new website because once that redirect goes in, you won't be able to access xs11.com any more.

The old vBulletin 3 software (used on xs11.com) has a very different URL structure than vBulletin 5 (used here). I previously confirmed with the vBulletin team that vBulletin3 URLs will still correctly resolve in vBulletin5.

What all of this means that when you click on a link in google or somewhere for a specific forum post in xs11.com, you will end up looking at the correct post on xs11.club. It should be seamless, so long as JP keeps the xs11.com server up and running so it can provide that redirect to xs11.club.

There are a few moving parts to make all of that work. If old links still work, and they should, great! If not, well at least we got an updated site.
                            '80 XS Special
                            JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

Wow. I don’t come to XS11 often anymore but have always loved the site. Great people and a lot of expertise. It just got way too cumbersome to get on and stay logged in .
                              thank you for reviving and taking ownership nezzer!
                              80 SG XS1100
                              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

nezzer - thanks for all the work!! Good job!!
                                Marty in NW PA
                                Gone - 1978E - one of the first XS11 made
                                Gone - 2007A FJR - the only year of Dark Red Metallic
                                This IS my happy face.

Comment

Working...
                                X