Site Upgrade Scheduled for 8/22 / Site Ownership Change / Gossip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Site Upgrade Scheduled for 8/22 / Site Ownership Change / Gossip

Hello forum members. It's time to upgrade the forum for real. The morning of Saturday 8/22 at 10 AM mountain time, I will generate a backup of the current forum. I will then get that snapshot upgraded and hosted on our server. Both the manual and automated parts of the upgrade do take a while but the new site ready within a couple days.

What do you need to do?
    Nothing. You can keep using this old version of the forum during the upgrade, just know that anything you post after 10 AM mountain time on 8/22 will not be transferred to the new forum.

Why did it take so long to get to this point?
    The current site owner, JP, has never responded to a single email or sent me any information. He is completely uninvolved in this site won't even take the time to answer very simple questions so that volunteers can carry out the work that needs to be done. I was able to get a couple user accounts from prior admins which is what allowed me to complete the upgrade. The upgrade process has been proven for months now but I have been waiting on JP to provide some DNS information and feedback on the new server hosting plan. JP can't be bothered and I am done with waiting.

I have purchased a new virtual server, domain name, and am ready to get everything upgraded and moved over.

Give me the details?
    A new VM has been setup on Vultr. Another volunteer did a trade study and found Vultr.com was the best fit. Initially, the machine will have 1 CPU, 1 GB of RAM, and 1 TB of bandwidth. This matches the specs of the current server and is more than enough bandwidth for this site. This is a flat $6 per month, but if we need more horse power down the road, we can pay more to get more resources.

I will upgrade the forum database offline, then get everything loaded on this new server. I have purchased the xs11.club domain name ($14 per year) and will update it to point to this new server once its ready. I had to purchase a new domain name because I have no access to administer the existing domain name, xs11.com, and JP wouldn't respond.

Once the new site is up and running at xs11.club, I will modify the old xs11.com server to redirect xs11.club. As long as JP keeps the old server running, a user going to xs11.com will hit the old server and immediately be redirected to xs11.club. With this setup, it is possible that any old links to specific posts on xs11.com will resolve correctly to our new site. I am not making any promises though, there are a few moving parts involved there.

If JP stops paying for the current xs11.com server, the server implodes from lack of maintenance, or the xs11.com domain name expires, then any xs11.com links out there on the internet will be broken. If that happens, hopefully we have the opportunity to buy the xs11.com domain name so we can point it to the new server. That domain name is pre-paid for the next few years though so its unlikely to expire before the current server breaks or goes off-line.

How will I access the site now and after the upgrade?
    Just go to xs11.com and keep using the site. Once the new forum is ready, you will either get automatically redirected there, or you will see some big banner that says you should go there. Either way, it should be obvious once xs11.club is ready for usage.

Hello forum members. It's time to upgrade the forum for real. The morning of Saturday 8/22 at 10 AM mountain time, I will generate a backup of the current forum. I will then get that snapshot upgraded and hosted on our server. Both the manual and automated parts of the upgrade do take a while but the new site ready within a couple days.

What will the new site look like?
    Some forum members have been helping me test the new site so they know exactly what it will look like. In short, the new site will be just the vBulletin forum, that's it. The forum will have all content and posts from xs11.com through 8/22. Upgrading the other parts of xs11.com was unnecessary since all the content, such as tech tips, were either incorporated into the forum previously or not providing much value. The new site won't be perfect on day one, there will be issues to work through, but you will be able to register, login, and post content.

Final Thoughts?
    This is messy. I wish it didn't come to this and I don't like the prospect of potentially splitting the community between the old and new sites. I don't want to see the xs11 forum disappear and I think this is the best way to ensure that the forum continues to exist in a usable form.

The costs associated with the new site are minimal and I will cover those costs. Thank you to all those members who offered to contribute money but it's not necessary. If we need money for a special purchase, like a vBulletin upgrade license, I will let the community know, but at this point I don't see any donations being necessary. I also do not intend to sell ad space on the server. Again, I appreciate the thoughts from members who offered to pay for advertising, but at this point I don't plan to include ads.

Much of the content on the forum that I really want to preserver are the how-to articles. That type of information is better contained within a wiki than a forum post. I think the community would really benefit from having a wiki in addition to the forum. I will be launching a companion wiki once the new forum is up and running.

This post got long. In short, let's keep this community going even if its under a different domain name.
    '80 XS Special
    JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Excellent .................. this Fantastic News
    be great to be operating on a sustainable platform with the ability to manage Profiles and add new people.

Not quite how you or any of us saw this landing but the Upgrades and Sustainability are paramount for all us XSives.

Thanks for all you have done to get us this far and sorry for the frustrations you encountered along the way. New domain will be great. Thanks for making that happen to keep this project moving to conclusion.

WoW ............ this is cool

Thanks,
    Jeff
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E
    78' XS1100 E

'73 Norton 850 Commando
    '99 Triumph Sprint ST
    '02 G-Wing GL1800

Comment

Can pictures be posted directly to the site?
      80 SG
      81 SH in parts
      99 ST1100
      91 ST1100

Comment

Sweeeeeettt!!!!
        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
        1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
          I hope the answer is yes. If so, i may try and take some time to rephotograph some of our lost guides...
          1979 XS1100F "Roxy" (my first bike ) - '91 Suzuki GSX1100 Fairing, BMW bags, Cheap ABS Trunk, aftermarket cruiser seat, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Heavy Duty folding kickstart, XS11 Special signals and gauges, Blade Fuse Conversion, Dynacoil Greens w/ ballast bypass, SS brake lines

Comment

Very excited!
            1979 XS1100F
            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanR View Post
              Yes, as of a few minutes ago images can be embedded directly in posts on the test forum, so the new site coming this weekend will have this capability.

Psycoreefer and other volunteers have identified some issues with the test site. Embedding photos was one such issue, and that has been resolved. You can now embed pictures as well as link to external pictures. Search didn't work but that got fixed. New user registration was disabled but that was just re-enabled. Emails from the site don't work, and still don't. I will figure that out before this weekend.
              '80 XS Special
              JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

Thankyou Nezzer..for persevering..I cant imagine the level of frustration in dealing with a non cooperative site owner...Messy it is but necessary if this forum is going to survive..Now it will...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I'm sorry, but I gotta say ME TOO! Thank you for doing this!
                  Marty (in Mississippi)
                  XS1100SG
                  XS650SK
                  XS650SH
                  XS650G
                  XS6502F
                  XS650E

Comment

I got outgoing email to work from the test server. That's the good news. The bad news is that it immediately started sending out emails to anyone who configured their profile to get an email on each new topic posted, and of course I had just posted a new topic. I immediately turned off email notifications from the test site.

My apologies to anyone that received such an email. Ignore it. Email won't be turned back on until site goes live.
                    '80 XS Special
                    JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

OUTSTANDING! Thank you ever so much for your time and efforts.

Comment

Good News!

"A Sight For Sore EARS". A lot of people had given up on this site. Thanks much Neezer for your trouble and support. Looking forward to the new beginning and improved features.

Mike P
                        Last edited by MPittma100; 08-17-2020, 07:16 PM.
                        1981 XS1100H Venturer
                        K&N Air Filter
                        ACCT
                        Custom Paint by Deitz
                        Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
                        Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
                        Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
                        Stebel Nautilus Horn
                        EBC Front Rotors
                        Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Awesome! Nezzer, I am just south of you in Palmer Lake. I would love to meet you and buy you dinner for all the work.
                          Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

many thanks to you neezer!!

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                            Awesome! Nezzer, I am just south of you in Palmer Lake. I would love to meet you and buy you dinner for all the work.
                            I am here in Denver, I'll buy the drinks !
                            78standard,79 & 80 Specials; 2 x 650 Maxims; 4 x RD350's; yz450; 2 x Honda tlr's;2x jt1 mini.

Comment

Saving this forum from fizzling out is outright amazing...especially without the cooperation that would have made it easier...,

...but enabling members to embed pictures directly is going to light this place back up instantly.

We all can't thank you enough Nezzer!
                              -Mike
                              _________
                              '79 XS1100SF 20k miles
                              '80 XS1100SG 44k miles
                              '81 XS1100H Venturer 35k miles
                              '79 XS750SF 17k miles
                              '85 Honda V65 Magna ~7k miles
                              '84 Honda V65 Magna 48k miles (parts bike)
                              '86 Yamaha VMAX 9k miles

Previous: '68 Motoguzzi 600cc + '79 XS750SF 22k miles +'84 Honda V65

Comment

Working...
                              X