Who's the XS11.com moderator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's the XS11.com moderator?

I need to fix a Web link in the forum; located in the Modifications section, entitled Stan's XS/XJ Fuel Injection Project. Please delete the Hal-PC link with the following:

https://www.knez.org/vehicles/Stan-H...c.org/_dhutch/
    '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
    '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
    Stan Hutchison

I tried, but I can't modify the post. My permissions don't go that far, so it will be up to TC to try and fix it. I will keep trying, though.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Thanks Ray. I hope TC can make the correction. If not, can we delete the post and submit a new entry with the correct link? Just to be safe, the new link is:

https://www.knez.org/vehicles /Stan-Hutchisons-XJ1100-EFI-Project/users.hal-pc.org/ dhutch/

Here's some background data;
      The hal-pc website close down years ago and Jonathan Knez recently rehost my project works. I think it's an interesting report . My XJ is still running great, and I plan to write a 13 year status report for the forum.
      Stan Hutchison

Comment

Oops, correction please, I inserted a space in the link. My bad.

https://www.knez.org/vehicles/Stan-H...-pc.org/dhutch
        Stan Hutchison

Comment

Please disregard my last two attempts of typing in the link. Cut and paste isn't working on weblinks. My original post has the correct link as you can tell my clicking.
          Stan Hutchison

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
            I tried, but I can't modify the post. My permissions don't go that far, so it will be up to TC to try and fix it. I will keep trying, though.
            Are things looking up? Has TC checked in at all? I hope he's doing well.
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Last activity on this site for TC was 2/11/2019.
              2H7 (79)
              3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The site is on autopilot..TC prolly was upset that the owner had him collecting money from us for an upgrade that never was intended to happen...i would be pissed myself. Not at all surprised he has left the room..
                This site cannot run indefinitely on autopilot..and while its still here..i dont expect that to be the case much longer....Just how long can it go without anyone at the helm???
                I hear people who host FB sites laughing with glee...
                Last edited by madmax-im; 12-22-2019, 04:41 AM.
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                  I hear people who host FB sites laughing with glee...
                  I doubt the FB groups are laughing at all.
                  The one I belong to refers to this site regularly.
                  There’s info here that took years to gather
                  It will be unfortunate to lose it

Stan - glad to read your XJ is still on the road
                  We really need to get a TeXSive ride together

Before we all fall apart lol
                  81 SH Something Special
                  81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                  81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                  80 LG Black Magic
                  78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                  For those on FB

Comment

My qestion about TC was because DiverRay's words sounded like TC had somehow become involved again and monitoring stuff despite not posting. Bummer.

Does anyone have contact with the person who owns this site? This thing could go dead stick on us January 1st for all we know.
                    Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Originally posted by Bonz View Post
                      My qestion about TC was because DiverRay's words sounded like TC had somehow become involved again and monitoring stuff despite not posting. Bummer.

Does anyone have contact with the person who owns this site? This thing could go dead stick on us January 1st for all we know.
                      I spoke with TC a month ago...other parties have been in contact with JP Honeywell who is the site's owner...but to no avail..as far as we can tell...we're just spinning our wheels in the mud...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I did a little looking a while back, so this is all from my memory.
                        GoDaddy hosts the site, and I believe it's paid through 2021. I think it would be possible to collect some of the posts and archive them on a different site. I'm NOT a software person, so I'm not sure how to do it.
                        I could try and copy some of the mods posts to my host, but then I don't know how to allow people access without getting hacked. I know this site runs on an old version of software that I know nothing about. So me trying to help get it upgraded is a no go.
                        If needed we could try and get together to find a solution, the big problem is finding the person who has the skills needed to repair this site, or transfer to a "new" site.
                        To me, this is a can of worms I'd rather not open...
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG
                        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I am a software person and would be happy to help facilitate any changes. I am a software engineer however I also run my own personal website (which Stan linked to) out of my house so I am familiar with the operations side; the hosting and sys admin part.

We are fortunate that this site is running on vBulletin, which is very popular and has good commercial support. For example, for $15/mo we could have vBulletin, the company, host our forum. That gives us 25 GB of bandwidth per month, which may or may not be enough. 75 GB of bandwidth per month would take $30/mo. Alternatively, for $250 we buy the latest software and host it ourselves somewhere.

This brings me to the important point, we need an admin to this existing site to tell us what kind of bandwidth is currently typically used and to provide login credentials to the existing database before we could move the site anywhere else.

It would be trivial for me to host some forum software on my existing server and start giving everyone access. The problem the saving all the existing posts and making them searchable. We need an existing admin to facilitate that. Finally, there is the cost of hosting. The cost of me hosting the website is pretty much nothing but the uptime is crappy (but maybe acceptable for this purpose). If we want someone else to host it, $15/mo is probably about the lowest we will find. The cost goes up as the size and bandwidth goes up so an existing admin could give us some data we could use to formulate a better estimate.

I have several older vehicles and belong to support groups for all of them. One of those groups for vintage Saab's just went through this same thing. They transitioned from a yahoo group mailing list to groups.io site. The new group.io site runs $250 a year but its hosted and was the right move for that group. We should have more options since we are running mainstream forums software that someone out there must administer. No matter what though, there is going to be some cost.

One final thought, I personally only come to the xs11 forums when I am having problems with my bike. One of the most valuable things for me is the how-to / maintenance / modifications section. That sort of information would be best conveyed with a wiki rather than a forum. Had Stan's EFI writeup been linked to from a wiki page, I could have updated the link myself rather needing an admin. I would personally be happy to setup a wiki for the xs11 to augment the forum. That might give us time to move over what we wanted to the wiki while we figure out what to do about the forum.

I am would be happy to work with someone to keep this site alive.

Jonathan Knez
                          JonathanKnez@hotmail.com
                          knez.org
                          '80 XS Special
                          JonathanKnez@hotmail.com

Comment

I'll own my XS11's the rest of my adult life. I'm happy to help financially or in whatever fashion necessary, going forward.
                            1979 XS1100F
                            2H9 Mod, Truck-Lite LED Headlight, TECHNA-FIT S/S Brake Lines, Rear Air Shocks, TKAT Fork Brace, Dyna DC-I Coils, TC Fuse Block, Barnett HD Clutch Springs, Superbike Handlebars, V-Star 650 ACCT, NGK Irridium Plugs, OEM Exhaust. CNC-Cut 2nd Gear Dogs; Ported/Milled Head; Modded Airbox: 8x8 Wix Panel Filter; #137.5 Main Jet, Viper Yellow Paint, Michelin Pilot Activ F/R, Interstate AGM Battery, 14MM MC, Maier Fairing, Cree LED Fog Lights.

Comment

There are plenty of guys that would put in the money to do what was described a couple posts ago. It's peanuts relative to what we get out of this place.

I am down in Palmer Lake, nezzer would be happy to meet you.
                              Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

Working...
                              X