No announcement yet.

Serious long distance riding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Totally agree with all of that Brant..and you should see what a beautiful home and property he has in N.GA...The man is an ST1100 owner but really has graduated toa GL1800 Goldwing...his ST is up forsale and if i had the $4000 I'd have bought it...
    It was Jeff that guided me out of Atlanta and uup to Vinnie's place back in Aug so we all got a chance to meet each other. I have known Vinnie from ST-O and i recall him making that offer to all motorcycle friends..as with this group the ST-O group are equally a fine bunch of folks...
    Last edited by madmax-im; 02-15-2017, 09:45 PM.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
      Totally agree with all of that Brant..and you should see what a beautiful home and property he has in N.GA...The man is an ST1100 owner but really has graduated toa GL1800 Goldwing...his ST is up forsale and if i had the $4000 I'd have bought it...
      It was Jeff that guided me out of Atlanta and uup to Vinnie's place back in Aug so we all got a chance to meet each other. I have known Vinnie from ST-O and i recall him making that offer to all motorcycle friends..as with this group the ST-O group are equally a fine bunch of folks...
      That they are.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

2,000 miles in 24 hours and they think he'll need to change tires?

And to knock the record off, he'll need to maintain an average speed over 85 mph (137 km/h), even including fuel stops and tire changes.
        I did 1200+ miles in 20 hrs in freezing temps on public roads with ice in a lot of spots. Without a catheter.. lol Seems like it'd be pretty do-able on a track with some good tunes and a lot of caffiene.
        Last edited by trbig; 02-15-2017, 10:57 PM.
        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
        '06 Suzuki DR650
        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
        '81 XS1100 Special
        '81 YZ250
        '80 XS850 Special
        '80 XR100
        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post
          2,000 miles in 24 hours and they think he'll need to change tires?

I did 1200+ miles in 20 hrs in freezing temps on public roads with ice in a lot of spots. Without a catheter.. lol Seems like it'd be pretty do-able on a track with some good tunes and a lot of caffiene.
          Okay, I'll bite............that's a lot of heat at those speeds and equals a lot of friction on tires.

Icy spots and way cold...........definitely I'd be lookin' for a warm place for a few cups of hot caffeine, to say the least. ( I know someone that did that......in a tow truck...lol).

All jokin' aside, definitely would just have to be one of those types that's into setting/breaking official records. An interesting read though.
          Last edited by motoman; 02-16-2017, 12:14 AM.
          81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

For the record

That's an interesting article, Brant, but anything involving catheters, especially catheters and riding, is a hard right turn from fun straight into, "No way!"
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
              That's an interesting article, Brant, but anything involving catheters, especially catheters and riding, is a hard right turn from fun straight into, "No way!"
              Yeppers...........them 'hard right turns' don't fit my bill either.

Comment

Originally posted by 3Phase View Post
                Hey Scott,

Yes, being in the medical field, whenever I hear the word CATHETER, I cringe. But there is another type of catheter called a TEXAS catheter....that's really like a condom with a hose in the end instead of a RESERVOIR tip! So..no painful INSERTION required, and you can run the drain hose to a collection bag.....OR....just let it drain out on the road under the bike!

Frank, my first LDR was back in ~'87, half brother was in Army, Ft Benning GA, I was invited to his AirBorne Graduation ceremony, wanted to be supportive, agreed to be there in my Navy Dress CrackerJack suite. Took off from work Friday at 12pm from Norfolk, VA., drove the ~700+ miles till ~2am, slept till 6am. Got up and dressed, and went to the base at the jump landing site....saw the whole class land, but NO brother! He had gotten hurt, dropped out, and was transferred to Louisiana a couple of weeks earlier....kinda forgot to let me know!! So....got on bike, and rode back home the same 700+ miles that Saturday. Didn't talk to him for a few years after that!

Next LDR was in 2001 after my rebuild, met up with Brent Hoovestol and rode up to Alexandria Bay, NY from here(Norfolk, VA area) some 600+ miles. Left here ~6am, didn't roll into AB, NY until ~10pm due to various delays along the way trying to meet up with other riders along the way. It was late May, but still fairly cold...experienced 40+ mph cross winds off of Lake Ontario at 40 degrees the last couple of hours of the trip, almost fell ON the bike when we finally stopped, just barely got the feet off of the pegs to hold the bike up! Enjoyed the XS East Rally, then we rode back home. Ran into warmer weather in Northern Va., thunderstorms....didn't have a rain suit, stopped at a gas station/store, made a rainsuit out of borrowed garbage bagss and duct tape. Brent had a rainsuit, but at the end of the trip/rain, his suit was shredded, and mine was still keeping me dry!

Those were the longest ON BIKE LDRs I've done, hope to do some real LDRs, like going out west from here, just not sure if I'll try to get an IRON BUTT award!

T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Go for it, man!

T.C.,

I think either one is bad for you and would be no fun at all unless you lost a bet or you're the weakest link in one of those kinky NASA love triangles. There are just some things like chemical burns and odors that I prefer to leave behind when I ride away, not keep with me!
                  -- Scott
                  _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
                  1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
                  1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
                  1979 XS1100F: parts
                  2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
                  X