Over Polished aluminum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over Polished aluminum

Sometimes when I am cleaning assorted scooter parts, they get a lot shinier than I like. Usually this occurs when I try to remove scratches and such. One of my other hobbies is restoring antique American clocks. (Pre 1920) I can clean the crud off the brass parts, then clean them with lacquer thinner to remove the wax residue, and coat them with mayonnaise. I'm no scientist, but the chemies in the mayonnaise react with the brass, and "tarnish" it fairly evenly. Works like a charm. Just wondering if someone knows of something that will do the same thing to aluminum, other than time! Going over it with a Scotch Brite pad, would not be my idea of a productive solution.

Look up a Por 15 product called Glisten PC. Get the aluminum shiny and clean. The it gets etched before the clear coat. It looked about perfect to me. My friend that did it was unhappy because it dulled his mirror finish.

My XS650 Heritage has it on the forks. Remember to get a good look when you come back. It's been on there for about 15 years.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

Over polished aluminum

Thanks! I will check into it. I will also look into whether it can be diluted, or perhaps exposed for less time. I seem to be a bit duller after soaking in Old No. 7, maybe I'll try that since there is always plenty on hand!

Comment

Glisten PC is epoxy.
        Marty (in Mississippi)
        XS1100SG
        XS650SK
        XS650SH
        XS650G
        XS6502F
        XS650E

Comment

Acid

There is an acid that cleans aluminum. Truckers mostly use it for fuel tanks, etc. I have some and have used it on aluminum transmission cases. Can't think of the name of it off hand, but it leaves a finish that is somewhat dull. Would have to try it on a test piece to see if it is what you are after. Will find it in my shop and report back the name of it.
          1981 XS1100H Venturer
          K&N Air Filter
          ACCT
          Custom Paint by Deitz
          Geezer Rectifier/Regulator
          Chacal Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
          Chrome Front Rotor & Caliper Covers
          Stebel Nautilus Horn
          EBC Front Rotors
          Limie Accent Moves On In 2015

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MPittma100 View Post
            There is an acid that cleans aluminum. Truckers mostly use it for fuel tanks, etc. I have some and have used it on aluminum transmission cases. Can't think of the name of it off hand, but it leaves a finish that is somewhat dull. Would have to try it on a test piece to see if it is what you are after. Will find it in my shop and report back the name of it.

Hey Mike,

When I read his last post about using Old #7, I checked it out, and sure enough, whiskey is fairly acidic, ph around 3-4, but your stuff might be cheaper??

Years ago I was surprised to learn that ALKALI will also dissolve aluminum, so folks need to be careful with strong soaps also!

T.C.
            T. C. Gresham
            81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
            79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
            History shows again and again,
            How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Over Polished aluminum

Mike, Thanks for your input. Hope your shop is in better shape than mine is in!

T.C. At 48 dollars a bottle, I sure hope so!

Comment

I recommend over polished aluminum. It looks great!
                Marty (in Mississippi)
                XS1100SG
                XS650SK
                XS650SH
                XS650G
                XS6502F
                XS650E

Comment

Working...
                X