No announcement yet.

Well, it was my turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you're alive. That wasa too close. It seeems like every driver in Houston is aggressive, I've had to adjust my driving to compensate. I'm retired now so I can pick my drive times. But taigaters continue to be a problem. Maybe tossing some loose rocks in the air might get them to back off.
    '80 XS1100LG Midnight Special
    Looks like an '82 Maxim, Fuel Injected
    '82 XJ1100J, Fuel Injected
    Stan Hutchison

Comment

Originally posted by shutchis View Post
      I'm glad you're alive. That wasa too close. It seeems like every driver in Houston is aggressive, I've had to adjust my driving to compensate. I'm retired now so I can pick my drive times. But taigaters continue to be a problem. Maybe tossing some loose rocks in the air might get them to back off.
      Sure there's been times when we all have had that thought.
      81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

thanksgiving...

Ray,
        I am grateful to have ridden with you. Glad to hear of your survival. Defensive driving is sure hard with some one who is behind you. Great suggestion regarding having an out. I look forward to hearing of you back in the saddle, riding again soon.
        It is a great big beautiful world out there
        Brent in GA
        Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Originally posted by shutchis View Post
          I..... Maybe tossing some loose rocks in the air might get them to back off.
          Rides in this area will take you by numerous gravel pits, and the trucks always have excess stones flinging off them. I've got the stone chips on my car and smack in the middle of the XS windshield to prove it - thankful that one didn't hit me in the nose

The comment above has me thinking....

I am envisioning a little tube that runs down the side of the bike and a pull string on a bag of stones to release them onto the road for those persistent tailgaters
          '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
          '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
          '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

Glad to hear you are OK as well. I know you will get the bike fixed in time for Colorado rally this next summer!
            Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

Good job Ray staying alert and minimizing damage.

John
              John is in an anonymous city with an Alamo (N29.519227,W-98.678980)

Go ahead, click on the bikes - you know you want to...the electrons are ready.
              '81 XS1100H - "Enterprise"
              Bob Jones Custom Navy bike: Tkat brace, EBC floating rotors & SS lines, ROX pivot risers, Geezer rectifier, new 3H3 engine

"Not all treasure is silver and gold"

Comment

Well, the figures are in! Per insurance my bike was worth about $6,900. Cost to rebuild to what is was, $10,100, so it's a total loss.
                Good news?!?! I'm looking at an FJR1300 as a "replacement bike", and the Insurance is giving me over 9K to help with that! I saw a nice, newer one online, for sale at a BMW dealer in Vegas. If I can get it for $8,500 out the door, I'll have the money for the few things I'll need to make it mine.
                Ray Matteis
                KE6NHG
                XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

What about a C14? Also an ST 1300 with the V4 has a great engine Cadence like your BMW. I owned an ST 1300 for a while and it was a good one. And you don't want another Beemer?

No flies on the FJR, just thinking out loud.
                  Howard

ZRX1200

BTW, ZRX carbs have the same spacing as the XS11... http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35462

Comment

I've done my homework. I know the Yamaha, and I know what the local Honda stealers are like. The Connie was an option, but I thought I'd go back to the FJR because of the reliability. I just put on too many miles for most bikes, and don't want to spend one weekend a month wrenching to keep things going.
                    20K between valve checks is NICE after every 6K....
                    Ray Matteis
                    KE6NHG

Comment

I can appreciate the valve check interval. How many were actually out on the BMW when they were checked?

My ZRX 1200 calls for 7,500 mile intervals And I stretch that to 15,000 with them all still in spec, albeit moving toward the end of spec. Most experience shows that after the first couple checks, wear lessens and intervals are extended. But still, following the recommendations is ideal.

The FJR is like 27,000 mile intervals right?
                      Howard

ZRX1200

Comment

The BMW ALWAYS had at least one out of spec. I'm not sure on the FJR, but I know it's quite a while. It's also a lot more work for the FJR, as I will have to dig down too the valve cover, but again, once a year not once a quarter...
                        Ray Matteis
                        KE6NHG

Comment

Wow (belated)

Ray,

I missed this one! Glad you are OK.

I've been arm-chair shopping FJR1300s for a while. I did ride a demo '16 a few months back at the dealer. A comfy machine.

In addition to that '14 in LV, you might consider a new '15.
                          There are some new leftovers in the LA area for ~ $10K. If you have the extra coins you can get new and if you shop around Y.E.S. for ~$400

But the '14 is red, which we all know is the prettiest color...

- Mike
                          1980 XS1100 Standard (G)
                          Original Owner
                          Stock plus:
                          K&N air filter, Supertrapp 4x1, Techna-fit SS brake lines, TC Fuse Block, TKAT Fork Brace
                          ...dirt and grime from several states.
                          -------------------
                          2011 FJR1300
                          1978 SR500

Comment

Mike, The red one is gone... I don't know if I can swing the extra 3K past SWMBO I'm still looking, and once I have the cash in hand I'll see what I can do.
                            Ray Matteis
                            KE6NHG

Comment

I have not shopped for a bike for quite a few years now, since 2009 when I bought the Connie. Will be interesting to see what you come up with.
                              BMW 1200s come up for sale (ex-police bikes) on govdeals.com. Not as many as a few years ago but still see one from time to time. Some are wrecks, some look pretty good. JAT.
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Well, the bike has been replaced, and NOT by a Yamaha! The local dealer "over the hill" didn't REALLY want to sell the bike he had. I went and looked at it, showed him the phone photo of my old bike, told him I was looking for an FJR, and when I called to take it out for a test ride, he said he needed an hour to get it ready. I was there an hour later, and the bike was still in the same place, against the back wall with three rows of bikes packed together between it and freedom. It's STILL there, as I walked out and called another shop, and I now have a 2011 Kawasaki Concours for a commute vehicle.
                                I did about 110 miles on it yesterday to get used to it, and I DO need to change a few things so it "fits" me a little better. So far, I'm happy with it. The rain we are getting, now that I have a motorcycle again, keeps me off it fro now, but Friday is supposed to be clear.....
                                Ray Matteis
                                KE6NHG

Comment

Working...
                                X