Well, it was my turn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, it was my turn

Not on an XS, but still something for everyone to think about. On my way to work Tuesday morning, 11/15/2016, about 6:40am local time when my BMW was rear ended. No, I was not stopped as traffic had been going about 65mph. I had watched an idiot trying to go fast in traffic, and was not worried about him until he got behind me. When I checked my mirror, he filled it! I looked ahead and the traffic was stopping, FAST, so I put my brakes on hard and was just steering for the space between lanes when I felt a "push" and was looking at the sky, not the road. I almost ended up on the hood, but the Givi box kept me in contact with the bike. As I was rotating back down, I saw the bike leaning to the right, but going upright again. I slid back into the saddle, grabbed the bars, and steered for the shoulder of the freeway.
    I'm VERY happy my angel is used to 80mph, cause 65 was easy for him!
    I'll post some pics later tonight, after I try to upload from my home computer. The car had to be towed off the freeway, and I road the bike VERY SLOWLY off. I have a sore back, and I don't know how long it will go on, but I'm here to be able to tell the tale. I would LOVE to see a video of it, though! I'm looking for any utube from 11-15-16 in San Jose, CA on Northbound 880 just South of The Alameda exit.
    Always have an out! If I could have had 1/2 second more, he would have hit the car in front of me, and not me....
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Sorry to hear of your contact with an IDIOT .
    Good thing your angel/s were not on break .
    76 XS650 C ROADSTER
    80 XS650 G Special II
    https://ibb.co/album/icbGgF
    80 XS 1100 SG
    81 XS 1100LH/SH DARKHORSE
    https://tinyurl.com/k6nzvtw
    AKA; Don'e, UD, Unca Don'e

Comment

Dang Ray!

Not the best way to keep things exciting.

So glad you had the presence of mind to get out of the way (mostly)

I'm sorry about the incident but really glad you made it through it so well.
      Glad the angels were on the ball
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
        Not on an XS, but still something for everyone to think about. On my way to work Tuesday morning, 11/15/2016, about 6:40am local time when my BMW was rear ended. No, I was not stopped as traffic had been going about 65mph. I had watched an idiot trying to go fast in traffic, and was not worried about him until he got behind me. When I checked my mirror, he filled it! I looked ahead and the traffic was stopping, FAST, so I put my brakes on hard and was just steering for the space between lanes when I felt a "push" and was looking at the sky, not the road. I almost ended up on the hood, but the Givi box kept me in contact with the bike. As I was rotating back down, I saw the bike leaning to the right, but going upright again. I slid back into the saddle, grabbed the bars, and steered for the shoulder of the freeway.
        I'm VERY happy my angel is used to 80mph, cause 65 was easy for him!
        I'll post some pics later tonight, after I try to upload from my home computer. The car had to be towed off the freeway, and I road the bike VERY SLOWLY off. I have a sore back, and I don't know how long it will go on, but I'm here to be able to tell the tale. I would LOVE to see a video of it, though! I'm looking for any utube from 11-15-16 in San Jose, CA on Northbound 880 just South of The Alameda exit.
        Always have an out! If I could have had 1/2 second more, he would have hit the car in front of me, and not me....
        Well, didn't know we was taking turns. Good to hear accident wasn't more serious(BTDT, as you know). As I'm sure you already know, hit in rear IS other parties FULL liability, including medical and property damage.
        I realize it is not IF......just WHEN.
        Hope after a riding 'break', your still able to choose that, if so desired!
        For future......stay safe and ATGATT!
        81H Venturer1100 "The Bentley" (on steroids) 97 Yamaha YZ250(age reducer) 92 Honda ST1100 "Twisty"(touring rocket) Age is relative to the number of seconds counted 'airing' out an 85ft. table-top.

Comment

Idiots

Very glad to hear things did not turn out worse than they did. I hope the thought is always in the back of our minds. Not something pleasant to think about, but necessary. Last fall SWMBO and I were heading back home at 55, when the car about 250' ahead of us slammed on their brakes, and turned left. We were on the road sofa, all I had time to do was "yell hold on", and take the gravel edge next to the pavement to avoid the back of the turning car. If we had been on one of the lighter bikes, I don't think I could have controlled it. The gravel was getting worse, so I got it back over the lip of the asphalt. Just made the decision that seemed like the lesser of the two evils. Never even touched the brakes. We were VERY lucky.

Comment

Way to go, Ray! Ride that Beemer! Yeeeeeeee! Hahahahahahaaa!

Seriously, man, glad you're still around to watch the video if anyone can find it.
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Hi Ray,
              Glad to hear you survived a close encounter of the worst kind.
              Phil
              1981 XS1100 H Venturer ( Addie)
              1983 XJ 650 Maxim
              2004 Kawasaki Concours. ( Black Bear)

Comment

wow, scary close. Glad you're OK.

Thanks for sharing, hearing about these encounters helps keep me on my toes and thinking while riding
                '78 XS1100E (the newest bike I've ever owned)
                '74 CB350F1 (under restoration)
                '72 RT2 MX360 (gone but not forgotten)

Comment

The photo's from Tuesday!
                  [IMG][/IMG]

and the bike
                  [IMG][/IMG]

the rear rim
                  [IMG][/IMG]

the rear of the bike
                  [IMG][/IMG]
                  My phone has a "side of the freeway" shot, with a trail of fluids behind the car!
                  Ray Matteis
                  KE6NHG

Comment

Super Glad your are experienced

Howdy Ray,,,I am superglad you are still vertical. Your years of riding and use of all senses probably kept you aware of instant decisions. Even though you werent on the xs, maybe it was better to be on the Beemer as it handles a lot better. Hope you can sue the hexxxx out the driver for any, all damages. SO Glad you are OK,,,,,,,,,,,,makes me want to ride more like an old grandpa everyday hearing close calls like that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Mike in Sun Diego
                    mike
                    1982 xj1100 maxim
                    1981 venture bagger
                    1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                    1959 wife

Comment

Mike, I WAS riding like an old grandma! That is part of the reason I was hit. Had I been a bit more aggressive, I would NOT have been in harms way. I should have split lanes for one car, and put the extra steel between me and him.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG

Comment

Get the back checked out properly!

Originally posted by DiverRay View Post
                        SNIP.... I had watched an idiot trying to go fast in traffic, and was not worried about him until he got behind me. When I checked my mirror, he filled it! SNIP....
                        Ray,
                        Very glad to hear you are OK following this incident. Normally one would think Car-vs.-Bike is a big time loser for the bike every time. Personally, I would have that sore back checked out by a Physician very promptly. Back injuries can take a few days to show their full effect. FYI...The surgeon that repaired my lower back (L4-L5-S1) said that if I had allowed a Chiropractor to touch me it is likely I would never have walked again.....

You are a much better man than I as the CHP would have arrested me on the spot as I would have been beating the &^$# out of that guy on the side of the road when they arrived on the scene.

Kurt
                        Kurt Boehringer
                        Peachtree City, Georgia

1970 - CT70K0 - Mini-Trail
                        1978 - SR500 - Thumper
                        1979 - CT70H - Mini-Trail
                        1979 - XS1100SF - Pensacola
                        1980 - XS850SG - Rocky
                        1980 - XS1100SG - The Ugly Duck
                        1980 - XS1100SG - Mayberry Duck
                        1981 - XS1100SH - DEAD Duck Cafe'
                        1981 - XJ550 Maxim - Nancy's Mini-Max
                        1982 - XJ650 SECA - Hurricane
                        1986 - FJ1200 - Georgia Big Red
                        1992 - FZR1000 - Genesis
                        2016 - FJR1300A - Montgomery

Comment

Kurt, The back has been checked by two doctors, and it's muscle damage only, so far. As I'm older, I will NOT settle for just a little because I know I'll have back issues the rest of my life, now.
                          The ONLY reason I didn't beat on him is I was on the phone when he walked up to me. I DID scream at him, with SWMBO on the other end of the line, still really sleepy, trying to calm me down.
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG

Comment

Glad you made it Ray. Pucker factor probably helped keep you on the bike. Bikes can be fixed, us old dudes, not so easy.
                            mack
                            79 XS 1100 SF Special
                            HERMES
                            original owner
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps6932d5df.jpg

81 XS 1100 LH MNS
                            SPICA
                            http://i946.photobucket.com/albums/ad305/mack-055/2.jpg

78 XS 11E
                            IOTA
                            https://youtu.be/wB5Jfbp6SUc
                            https://youtu.be/RaI3WYHSuWA

Have recovery trailer and shop if you breakdown in my area.
                            Frankford, Ont, Canada
                            613-398-6186

Comment

Glad you survived a close one! Most of my riding is freeway (to and from work) and at those speeds things happen quickly. Glad you were able to take the action you did...saved you from much worse!
                              Jerry Fields
                              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                              '06 Concours
                              My Galleries Page.
                              My Blog Page.
                              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
                              X